View Full Version : Phones suitable for the blind?

Salty
4th July 2005, 09:27 AM
Sorry as I don't know too much about mobile phones but our daughter is blind and just completed First Year at Uni.
A friend helped us choose one last year which suited her needs as she needs the keys to be slightly raised. That was the Ericsson T630 but the contract expires shortly so does anyone have any suggestions please as to what might be appropriate and then we can take her and let her feel them in the shops and she can choose before checking online.
Also are there any other features which you think might be of use to someone who's blind.
Thanks.

Hands0n
4th July 2005, 09:54 AM
I can't offer specific advice on a particular handset but please excuse me if I'm asking the bl33ding obvious .... Have you contacted either the RNIB or your local Association for the Blind? The reason I ask is that I had not considered this [ever] until I met up with the Kent Association for the Blind and one of their officials had a "blind mobile" (I can't remember which model it was). This was modified so that it had a high-intensity red LED that pulsed the number dialled (i.e. 1 for 1, 2 for 2 etc...). She had no vision other than a slight ability to see light, unable to resolve image completely. So even though she knew where the buttons were, she was able to get feedback that she'd pressed the correct digit. I don't recall that the phone did much more besides that.

It may also be helpful for you to contact a few of the large mobile phone chains head office and ask if they have any experience in supplying to the blind. There may be a team or individual that can offer their own experience. I suspect that under the UK DDA they will need to demonstrate that they at least cater for disabilities.

Other than that - I'd be inclined to visit one of the chains which have a large number of dummy display phones to check out the specific feel to see if anything catches your daughter's fancy.

Specifically relating to your question about features (and this is a hard question for a sighted person, I reckon) my inclination would be the following;
Large Screen size (this may limit you to a 3G phone)
Maximum font size for numbers dialled?
Ability to manage the screen contrast and background
You've already mentioned well-defined buttons and I'd add tactile and audible feedback to the button pushes
Ability to use either Text or Iconic menus
Audio menus (does any handset have this?) or the ability to attach voice "tags" to menu items

Just some ideas. Hope these help. And apologies again if I'm stating anyting too obvious.

Please let us know on here what she chose in the end.

bagpuss102002
4th July 2005, 10:19 AM
just a point if you are looking for a phone similar to the t630 you could try the k750 as i believe its is similar to the layout of the t630 and also a good handset you might try 1 with a good voice recognision system which is on this handset.

hope this helps mate, and good luck with your search for your daughter :)

Salty
4th July 2005, 11:12 AM
I can't offer specific advice on a particular handset but please excuse me if I'm asking the bl33ding obvious .... Have you contacted either the RNIB or your local Association for the Blind? The reason I ask is that I had not considered this [ever] until I met up with the Kent Association for the Blind and one of their officials had a "blind mobile" (I can't remember which model it was). This was modified so that it had a high-intensity red LED that pulsed the number dialled (i.e. 1 for 1, 2 for 2 etc...). She had no vision other than a slight ability to see light, unable to resolve image completely. So even though she knew where the buttons were, she was able to get feedback that she'd pressed the correct digit. I don't recall that the phone did much more besides that.

It may also be helpful for you to contact a few of the large mobile phone chains head office and ask if they have any experience in supplying to the blind. There may be a team or individual that can offer their own experience. I suspect that under the UK DDA they will need to demonstrate that they at least cater for disabilities.

Other than that - I'd be inclined to visit one of the chains which have a large number of dummy display phones to check out the specific feel to see if anything catches your daughter's fancy.

Specifically relating to your question about features (and this is a hard question for a sighted person, I reckon) my inclination would be the following;
Large Screen size (this may limit you to a 3G phone)
Maximum font size for numbers dialled?
Ability to manage the screen contrast and background
You've already mentioned well-defined buttons and I'd add tactile and audible feedback to the button pushes
Ability to use either Text or Iconic menus
Audio menus (does any handset have this?) or the ability to attach voice "tags" to menu items

Just some ideas. Hope these help. And apologies again if I'm stating anyting too obvious.

Please let us know on here what she chose in the end.

Thanks, and no you're not stating the obvious.
She's totally blind, no colour or light perception unless in extremely dark conditions if a tremendously strong light appears such as in a late night flash lightening storm.One intrigued her a few years ago so large screens wouldn't be of any real consequence.
Yes we've asked around and they can only give the vaguest of advice.
Thanks and I'll let you know what she decides on.
We went to the shops to try the dummies last time tho' I think I was the biggest one as I had no idea whatsoever about most of what they were saying.

Jon3G
4th July 2005, 11:26 AM
Hi

The K750i has got very good chunky buttons and has voice activated dialing and I beleive voice activated menus. This could be a useful feature if setup correctly rather than having to dial the numbers all the time

bagpuss102002
4th July 2005, 11:31 AM
i agree john it is the most logical progression from the t630 which i a gd handset!

Ben
4th July 2005, 11:41 AM
How about the Vodafone Simply range? They've got big buttons and a reduced featureset, so I'd imagine (from a totally ignorant sighted-person POV) that they'd be easier to operate without vision than most modern mobiles. I'm not too sure as to the feature sets, but it could be worth asking about!

Hands0n
4th July 2005, 11:43 AM
"We went to the shops to try the dummies last time tho' I think I was the biggest one as I had no idea whatsoever about most of what they were saying"

:) LOL - Ignore anything said about the technology behind the handset or the network - it would all be completely irrelevant. I am staggered somewhat that mobile phones are almost exclusively for the fully abled. Even the 'umble PC has features and functions for the disabled. I wonder if this is something for OFCOM to get their teeth into?

I think you're on the right track asking around the Forums though. You are sure to pick up some good info. I'll keep a watchful eye as I surf around myself and if anything comes up will be sure to post it on here.

Salty
4th July 2005, 12:00 PM
Thanks everyone...I've noted all this down .
I suppose the size of keys and separation is the essential ingredient tho' this voice recognition sounds ideal too. :)

Nero
4th July 2005, 12:08 PM
Vodafone have been in partnership with the RNIB for quite a while now, and market phones specifically for the blind/partially sigthed. They can also provide bills and other literature in a number of mediums.

Type "blind" into the site search on Vodafone homepage and you should be able to find lots of info

Salty
4th July 2005, 12:14 PM
Vodafone have been in partnership with the RNIB for quite a while now, and market phones specifically for the blind/partially sigthed. They can also provide bills and other literature in a number of mediums.

Type "blind" into the site search on Vodafone homepage and you should be able to find lots of info

Thanks Nero I'll try that.

Jon3G
4th July 2005, 12:15 PM
Here is some info I found

http://www.vodafone.co.uk/cgi-bin/COUK/portal/ep/browse.do?BV_SessionID=@@@@1786635218.1120475560@@ @@&BV_EngineID=cccfaddfdfehjdfcflgcegjdgnfdffo.0&channelPath=/Vodafone%20Portal/About%20Vodafone/Special%20needs/Products%20and%20Services/Handsets%20and%20accessories

This one is very good

http://www.vodafone.co.uk/cgi-bin/COUK/portal/ep/browse.do?BV_SessionID=@@@@1786635218.1120475560@@ @@&BV_EngineID=cccfaddfdfehjdfcflgcegjdgnfdffo.0&channelPath=/Vodafone%20Portal/About%20Vodafone/Special%20needs/News%20and%20Partners/Speaking%20phone%20press%20release

This one is for the Vodafone speaking phone

http://www.vodafone.co.uk/cgi-bin/COUK/portal/ep/browse.do?channelPath=%2FVodafone+Portal%2FAbout+V odafone%2FSpecial+needs%2FCustomer+Care%2FSpeaking +phone+store+locations&BV_SessionID=@@@@1786635218.1120475560@@@@&BV_EngineID=cccfaddfdfehjdfcflgcegjdgnfdffo.0

http://www.abilitymagazine.org.uk/

Good source of infomation

Hope that helps and let us know how you get on

Salty
4th July 2005, 12:32 PM
Here is some info I found

http://www.vodafone.co.uk/cgi-bin/COUK/portal/ep/browse.do?BV_SessionID=@@@@1786635218.1120475560@@ @@&BV_EngineID=cccfaddfdfehjdfcflgcegjdgnfdffo.0&channelPath=/Vodafone%20Portal/About%20Vodafone/Special%20needs/Products%20and%20Services/Handsets%20and%20accessories

This one is very good

http://www.vodafone.co.uk/cgi-bin/COUK/portal/ep/browse.do?BV_SessionID=@@@@1786635218.1120475560@@ @@&BV_EngineID=cccfaddfdfehjdfcflgcegjdgnfdffo.0&channelPath=/Vodafone%20Portal/About%20Vodafone/Special%20needs/News%20and%20Partners/Speaking%20phone%20press%20release

This one is for the Vodafone speaking phone

http://www.vodafone.co.uk/cgi-bin/COUK/portal/ep/browse.do?channelPath=%2FVodafone+Portal%2FAbout+V odafone%2FSpecial+needs%2FCustomer+Care%2FSpeaking +phone+store+locations&BV_SessionID=@@@@1786635218.1120475560@@@@&BV_EngineID=cccfaddfdfehjdfcflgcegjdgnfdffo.0

http://www.abilitymagazine.org.uk/

Good source of infomation

Hope that helps and let us know how you get on

Thanks,I'll do that...I'll get back after I've checked out all of these links and the other ideas folks have been kind enough to supply. :)

Salty
5th July 2005, 02:33 PM
Thanks,I'll do that...I'll get back after I've checked out all of these links and the other ideas folks have been kind enough to supply. :)

I've passed all the info. everyone took the time and effort to provide me with yesterday to my pal who helped us make the final choice the last time so he can read it and narrow down the search.
He thinks the Ericsson update worth a wee look as she's obviously familiar with that phone already but will be checking out the others.
Thanks from my daughter and from me. :)

Jon3G
5th July 2005, 02:39 PM
No Problem glad we could help in some way

Nero
5th July 2005, 02:54 PM
A lot of these forums can get some what vitriolic and personal, nice to be able to just help.

Hands0n
5th July 2005, 07:33 PM
Not this Forum mate, here we're all family :)

@Salty - glad that we have been able to be of some help to you and your daughter.

@Ben - perhaps this thread could be stickied somewhere useful so that it does not get lost in the sands of time. Those links are dynamite!

Salty
9th July 2005, 01:12 PM
Not this Forum mate, here we're all family :)

@Salty - glad that we have been able to be of some help to you and your daughter.

@Ben - perhaps this thread could be stickied somewhere useful so that it does not get lost in the sands of time. Those links are dynamite!

Yes that's been of enormous help tho' still no final decision but thanks for making this a 'sticky'...is that right?...as I'm convinced it'll be a very useful resource to lots of people.
Would it be okay if I passed the forum details to my daughter's Support Team at Uni. and to the Visual Impairment Units at her old Primary and Secondary schools please?
I'm sure they'd be more than interested as more and more youngsters own mobiles these days.

Ben
9th July 2005, 01:33 PM
Of course! As a non-commercial forum we should hopefully be an acceptable reference point for many organisations and institutions. If you think that this thread/the forum would be of assistance to them then you're more than welcome to encourage them to make use of it.

Layla
14th December 2006, 09:52 PM
Just read thru this thread and I have to say all you guys are thebest, its so nice of you all to take out timeto offer technically-challenged ppl like myself valuable advice.
Salty hope your daughter got a good phone. Which Uni is she at? im at manchester

This forum is great:D !

Hands0n
14th June 2008, 09:31 AM
It has been simply ages since any posts to this thread. I do not think that the market has advanced at all in any significant or meaningful way since this the OP asked the question. Shame on the manufacturers, blindness and partial sight are not niche and could happen to anyone.

In this respect I had a quick visit over to the RNIB's website and think it is useful to publish this reference to anyone starting out on a quest for suitable handsets for the blind and partially sighted. I hope you find this of some small benefit.

See the RNIB's Accessible Mobile Phones - a guide (http://www.rnib.org.uk/xpedio/groups/public/documents/publicwebsite/public_mobphonesfactsheet.hcsp#P133_9313)