View Full Version : unlocked for £3.00?

maxvolts
4th July 2005, 10:47 PM
Hi,

Just been looking about and came across this site:

unlock nokia 6680 (http://www.unlock247.com/)

They appear to offer unlock codes for the nokia 6680 for £3.00.

Anyone know if this is a scam or not? as far as i am aware there isn't an unlock solution yet?

cheers

Hypnotic
4th July 2005, 11:16 PM
Only one way to find out. If it is a scam, it's a damn well thought up one, coz no one would think scammers would offer something for as little as £3, but then you think about how much people would want to do it, and you realise how the figured will start to add up.

Ben
4th July 2005, 11:21 PM
To the best of my knowledge it is not yet possible to unlock the 6680 this way. Don't be a guinea pig!

maxvolts
4th July 2005, 11:33 PM
Must admit the site looks pretty professional, but then again it wouldnt be that hard to put together would it?

Just typed in a random imei and got a generated e-mail saying my code was ready and basically pay the 3 quid and i can have it.

Interestingly though, they dont appear to have a solution for the 6630?

gorilla
4th July 2005, 11:49 PM
What are the dangers here? phishing? What could they do with your paypal account details? Sorry I'm not going to be a guinea pig either.
It seems to good to be true and we all know what people say about that.
I wonder if anyone has used them before. I would happily pay 3 quid if it works, I doubt many other 3 customers would though :D that's me being funny by the way!

Hands0n
5th July 2005, 12:02 AM
@gorilla - no danger of phishing unless you are going to offer your PayPal username and login, which of course you should never do. The only thing you'd be required to do on that site is make payment by PayPal which you do on eBay anyway (one assumes). You make payment to them via the PayPal secure website only.

AFAIK there is no released method to unlock the 6680 via code - no doubt Nokia and the mobile ops have the facility but it has not been "leaked" into the mainstream unlocker community yet (again, afaik). The unlocker peeps are busy working on cracking the BB5 code but that has not been done yet, or at least products to unlock BB5 have not come out yet. I'd expect that to be imminent (and pricey to the unlockers and their customers). So 3 quid for an unlock of the 6680? Not sure if that is good business or commercial suicide.

The only thing I'd say is don't risk it just yet as if something goes wrong with the code/phone you may be on a sticky wicket getting it fixed under warranty with your mobile op and that'd be an expensive paper weight!

Jon3G
5th July 2005, 12:04 PM
Just done a little dinging into this site and I have found the following information

This is the personal web address of the site owner/registrant.

http://www.gallagher.uk.net/

There is also a link from this website to his unlocking site

The guy is from Barnsley and his name is Paul Gallagher. I also have his phone number and no I am not going to publish on here.

He also advertisers at the bottom of the site as a limited company and the company is not limited.

I have also called him and reminded him if he his going to pull off a scam then he needs to remember to opt out of the whois database for websites or he will get caught. I assured me that he was Genuine and I asked about the 6680 and he said he could unlock it.

I am still not convinced and I live about 20 mins drive from him so I am going to check the address

maxvolts
5th July 2005, 02:20 PM
Well i just thought what the hell its only 3 quid, filled in imei etc. and havent received anything. it says the unlocking codes will be displayed immediately but nothing. checked my e-mail-nothing. have just e-mailed him to find out whats going on.

Will let you all know what happens-if anything!

Jon3G
5th July 2005, 02:42 PM
Well i just thought what the hell its only 3 quid, filled in imei etc. and havent received anything. it says the unlocking codes will be displayed immediately but nothing. checked my e-mail-nothing. have just e-mailed him to find out whats going on.

Will let you all know what happens-if anything!

If you dont get anywere I will PM you the landline number to call him

maxvolts
5th July 2005, 02:48 PM
If you dont get anywere I will PM you the landline number to call him

Cheers for the offer m8, but just did a bit of digging and got it myself, with his addy etc. will give him couple of hours and see what happens first.

Trust me to choose to be the guinea pig! oh well i guess i posted the link in the first place!

Jon3G
5th July 2005, 03:08 PM
I seemed ok when I called him, but still not convinced that the 6680 can be unlocked

maxvolts
5th July 2005, 03:35 PM
well, i have e-mailed him at both his business addy and personal addy, and not heard anything yet. will give him a bit more time to respond then give him a bell.

Jon3G
5th July 2005, 04:53 PM
well, i have e-mailed him at both his business addy and personal addy, and not heard anything yet. will give him a bit more time to respond then give him a bell.

Anynews yet, I have just tried calling number again and no answer now

maxvolts
5th July 2005, 05:00 PM
same here, rang a few times over last 30 odd mins and no luck.
No reply to e-mails either. doesn't look good does it!

Ben
5th July 2005, 05:12 PM
Ok, well the website's IP is 217.77.181.45 which belongs to Titan Internet Ltd. I strongly advise, if the matter is not resolved to your satisfaction, emailing [email protected] with details that the website it is providing hosting/connectivity to is a scam. (if it is a scam :p)

Jon3G
5th July 2005, 05:21 PM
Try ringing now

just spoke to his mum

Your not ringing the 0906 number are u I have the 01226 number

Ben
5th July 2005, 05:29 PM
You might as well post the numbers, Jon3G - they're in the public domain anyway. Titan Internet have said they'll investigate.

Jon3G
5th July 2005, 05:32 PM
01226244710 is the head office :eek:

Hands0n
5th July 2005, 07:43 PM
....................just spoke to his mum ........

LMFAO :) "Tech Support" no doubt? Do we know how old this kid is then? I predict we're witnessing the birth of another Richard Branson

P'raps the unlock codes will get sent now school is out.

Oh, call me a cynical ole bu99er if you like :p but this smells like a very smelly thing.

maxvolts
5th July 2005, 10:55 PM
Hi,

Just had the 'pleasure' of talking to his mum too. apparently he is 'working away at the moment' i pointed out that as it appears he is commiting a fraud in that he is taking money for a service that he cannot provide then she should get used to the 'being away' bit!

All she kept saying was that 'no, i am sure he wouldnt do that' ...oh dear i think we have a little mummys boy here!

Anyway i told her what it appears her son has been up to (and she seemed a little shocked when i told her her sons address) so i would imagine our little mummys boy may be in for a little spanking and getting sent to bed with out any tea...diddums!!

ffs this is almost worth my 3 quid!

Hands0n
5th July 2005, 11:23 PM
I can see a "Priceless" section of the Forum being established ......... :D

Has anyone written to Watchdog yet?

maxvolts
5th July 2005, 11:50 PM
now i would pay to see Roger cook turning up on his mums doorstep....! lmao!

Jon3G
6th July 2005, 02:07 PM
The site apears to be down now and if you do a search on the whois database on the url, he has now opted out of the whois so you can see his address.

However the stupid fool has registered the same name just with .com .net and .org and left his address on them.

He really does want to get caught

His details are
Registrant:
Personal

Domain name: UNLOCK247.COM

Administrative Contact:
Gallagher, Paul [email protected]

Technical Contact:
Gallagher, Paul [email protected]

http://gallagher.uk.net/

Also this appears to be his discount kitchen and bathroom business

Really is a jack of all trades

Edit by Ben: As the issue appears to be resolved I have removed the personal contact information from this post. Thanks to Jon3G for his efforts in addressing this services incorrect offerings. I am, however, keeping the details on file - so if you're reading this because you've had similar problems then please get in touch.

Ben
6th July 2005, 03:19 PM
Well done guys ;) Seems like we've made a pretty co-ordinated effort on all fronts and unlock247 is no more... for now ;)

Looks like Talk3G just found another purpose in life!

maxvolts
6th July 2005, 03:44 PM
Hi guys,
Just had a phone call from Paul, he was most apologetic and basically said when the 6680 was announced they didnt expect them to be any different from the previous nokias and that they had jumped the gun a bit. they do not have a solution and all he could offer was that nokia supply a laptop to the various networks that enable them to produce the unlock codes.

He actually seemed a pretty reasonable guy, was most apologetic, and kept going on about trading standards and stuff-god knows what some of you guys have been saying to him but he seemed a little worried!

Anyway he's sorting me out a refund so fair play to him!

thanks everyone who helped me out on this!

Jon3G
6th July 2005, 04:43 PM
:D :D :D

Trading standards dont know what you talking about

gally
6th July 2005, 04:52 PM
She really appreciated the calls. ;)

Any chance you could remove her contact details Jon3G?

Jon3G
6th July 2005, 09:39 PM
She really appreciated the calls. ;)

Any chance you could remove her contact details Jon3G?

Mr Gallagher

I will request that the side admin remove her details. Remember next time be prepared for your first customer and dont leave your details on the net for everyone to find them

Welcome to talk3G

maxvolts
6th July 2005, 10:04 PM
Got the refund, so all sorted. i have no problem with he's mums details being removed, he has done the right thing and apologised and refunded me, maybe in future you shouldnt register your sites with your mums phone number?!

The only thing that worries me is how many other people paid the 3 quid and gave up trying to get there money back when you didnt reply to there e-mails? i mean, it seems that you only seemed bothered when me and the guys on here started ringing your mum up? lets face it most people haven't heard of whois, and wouldnt have a clue what to do about there missing money.

oh well, i just hope this isnt the case and that anyone who tried to order unlocking codes has been refunded, as far as i am concerned getting a bit out of the big companies is one thing but ripping off everyday people is bang out of order. I hope you have done or are doing the right thing.

Thanks for the refund!

Maxvolts