View Full Version : Vodafone offers don't allow PAC's

3GScottishUser
7th July 2005, 03:54 AM
Have a look at the terms and conditions offered on the Vodafone direct sales site for their new deals..... they state...

"Price is only available to customers taking a new mobile number and not available to customers who are transferring an existing mobile number from another service provider or network or upgrading an existing mobile number."

So Vodafone dont appear to be allowing number portability and have made new deal pricing conditional on the acceptance of their own numbering.

I wonder if they are allowed to do this? Are'nt all telcos supposed to honour the PAC system? If Vodafone can apply this restrictive condition it renders the whole UK number portability system a nonsense.

Can anybody shed some light on this? Is it an issue for OFCOM?

Jon3G
7th July 2005, 09:36 AM
Have a look at the terms and conditions offered on the Vodafone direct sales site for their new deals..... they state...

"Price is only available to customers taking a new mobile number and not available to customers who are transferring an existing mobile number from another service provider or network or upgrading an existing mobile number."

So Vodafone dont appear to be allowing number portability and have made new deal pricing conditional on the acceptance of their own numbering.

I wonder if they are allowed to do this? Are'nt all telcos supposed to honour the PAC system? If Vodafone can apply this restrictive condition it renders the whole UK number portability system a nonsense.

Can anybody shed some light on this? Is it an issue for OFCOM?

I thought this refered to porting the number from one of their own SP's, however the wording does indicate that it means other networks too.

I also beleive that the networks dont have to accept number ports into them, but under the rules cant stop a customer from transfereing out under the PAC rules

3GScottishUser
7th July 2005, 11:48 AM
So in reality number portability is up to the networks to accept or deny. by imposing a price differential this is clearly an option for them and drives a coach and horses through what was supposed to be a simple transparent method of retaining your mobile number.

Jon3G
7th July 2005, 12:06 PM
Its very wrong if its true

Ben
7th July 2005, 03:42 PM
AFAIK you can't port your number online, but if you call up you should be able to do it. I think the reference is purely to purchasing online... only one way to find out though!

Jon3G
7th July 2005, 04:05 PM
Orange give you the option to port online, my GF did it the other week with Orange.

3GScottishUser
7th July 2005, 05:23 PM
Called them and its a definte NO. No number ports available for on-line puchaced contract phones and an even more emphatic NO WAY if you want to port after the account has been created.

What planet are Vodafone on?

MattyKan
7th July 2005, 08:46 PM
Hi!

I was lucky enough to go to a Vodafone retail store and get them to price match their online tariffs.

It took a bit of arm twisting but as I did it on the last day of the month and the sales girl was desperate to reach her sales target I got what I wanted which was the 18 month Anytime 200 w/ 250 texts and Stop the clock.

She wouldn't throw in itemised billing but I bought the Nokia 6680 for £50 and this included a nice Sony Ericsson HBH-600 bluetooth headset.

All I'm waiting for now is Vodafone to set up my online billing so that I can check my monthly usage.

Cheers,

MattyKan

Hands0n
7th July 2005, 11:23 PM
I reckon this is one for OFCOM - even if Vodafone are not breaking the letter of the law they are surely in breach of the spirit of Number Portability. This is precisely why industry cannot self-regulate. Too much vested interest, overriding the interests of the paying Customer. Then they bleat and squeal when our lawgivers enact statutory requirements upon them.

Wake up and smell the coffee Vodafone (and others). That or don't bi7ch and moan when you get regulated.

Ben
8th July 2005, 12:12 AM
I agree... I think you should try your luck with OFCOM 3GSU if Vodafone aren't prepared to let you port your number in just because of the offer you have chosen. It seems like a pretty stupid reason for the disqualification to me also - I genuinely thought it could be done afterwards by phone. I deliberately don't port numbers because in the SMS industry it causes all sorts of problems, but then I hardly ever switch networks. If number portability is to encourage competition, which I assume it is, then Vodafone have no right to block your request.

Take it to the top, good man!