View Full Version : Orange kills Wildfire - finally

Jon3G
7th July 2005, 09:25 AM
By Tim Richardson
Published Tuesday 5th July 2005 13:39 GMT
Orange yesterday pulled the plug on its Wildfire voice recognition service.

The cellco had planned to terminate Wildfire at the end of May but delayed closure, in response to a barrage of complaints. It had underestimated the strength of feeling from loyal Wildfire fans - in particular blind and visually impaired users who relied on Wildfire to make their calls.

Don't miss IT's Showtime!

Playing right now are world-famous IT stars sharing their cutting-edge thinking with you. With near-DVD quality, filmed by a real documentary crew, it's like being right in the front row of our best IT events. But with IT's Showtime, you can also access what you want, when you want it.

Ready for what's ahead in IT? Switch on the best in IT events now!
The cellco - owned by France Telecom - blamed declining numbers for its decision to ditch Wildfire.

Orange paid €148m ($142m) to acquire Wildfire Communications in April 2000.

The system drummed up an army of fans who relied on the voice activated system to take messages, place calls and store information.

Like a "real" PA, Wildfire also became familiar with punters' "personal requirements" the more they used it. ®

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/07/05/orange_wildfire/

Jon3G
7th July 2005, 09:33 AM
Just used my Orange sim with wildfire activated. Its still working fine and so is my Dads.

Anyone else have wildfire and is it still working?

Talkingabout3G
8th July 2005, 01:27 PM
I have wildfire too and it still works

:p

Jon3G
8th July 2005, 06:30 PM
and I thought it was turned off :p

simax
18th July 2005, 10:41 PM
It's off now though, isn't it? :mad:

Jon3G
18th July 2005, 10:50 PM
no still working

fat jez
19th July 2005, 01:27 AM
You have Wildfax by any chance? My sources tell me that users of Wildfax are being processed manually, which is why you still have it. My Wildfire is still there on my line 1, but gone from my line 2.

Cheers,
Jez

Jon3G
19th July 2005, 09:16 AM
Didnt think you could have wildfire on line 2.

When wild first come out I was working for a telecom retailer and I could not get wildfire activated on line 2

fat jez
19th July 2005, 10:47 AM
Strange. But I was a triallist, so that may have had something to do with it.

Cheers,
Jez

Jon3G
21st July 2005, 05:01 PM
Still not turned off

fat jez
21st July 2005, 07:36 PM
That's because they have to manually delete all the Wildfire accounts with Wildfax before they can give you a regular voicemail account. I heard there were about 2000 or so users still outstanding from my sources at Orange.

Cheers,
Jez