View Full Version : Orange UK touts SPV M500 music phone

Jon3G
8th July 2005, 10:05 AM
By Tony Smith
Published Thursday 7th July 2005 13:05 GMT
UK mobile network Orange is to offer a version of HTC's ultra-compact PDA phone, 'Magician', as the SPV M500.

Unlike other versions of the HTC handset, which has been rebadged by T-Mobile, O2 and i-Mate, among others, the Orange incarnation sports a black shell and a slightly modified case design.

The internals appear the same as other versions, however. Orange hasn't posted a detailed specification, but HTC says the unit contains 64MB of RAM and 64MB of ROM, along with a 240 x 320, 64,000-colour LCD. The M500 incorporates a 1.3-megapixel camera with 8x digital zoom. Expansion comes courtesy of an external MMC/SD IO slot.

The handheld is a tri-band (900/1800/1900) GSM/GPRS phone and offers Bluetooth wireless connectivity for headsets and PC connectivity. Orange simply said the phone would run the PocketPC operating system - it did not reveal which version of Windows Mobile would ship with the device.

The M500 measures a PDA-sized 10.8 x 5.8 x 1.8cm and weighs 150g. Orange quotes a talk time of five hours, and a stand-by time of 7.5 days.

Orange also updated its UK web site with the anticipated SPV C550 music phone - again based on an HTC model, this time 'Amadeus', which has four dedicated music playback buttons. The tri-band unit is expected to ship with a 176 x 220, 64,000-colour screen, a VGA camera with 4x digital zoom, Bluetooth support, 32MB of RAM, 64MB of ROM and a MiniSD slot for expansion.

Orange did not say when the C550 or the M500 will ship. ®

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/07/07/orange_spv_m500/

TheBrit
9th July 2005, 08:14 PM
I want one!

miffed
11th July 2005, 08:13 AM
I very nearly bought one of these in the form of an I-mate Jam , and then again as an MDA compact - but I was put off because there was a lot of of negativity and problems surrounding the product
Not sure if the problems have been solved or not - but the idea of putting Orange firmware on a device that already has problems sounds like a recipe for trouble to me !
Still holding out for the Universal myself :)

Jon3G
11th July 2005, 11:12 AM
I have heard mixed views on this and from the sounds of it, the device is not very stable

miffed
26th July 2005, 08:21 AM
I was a bit bored last night , so I ordered one !

Well , it is a qtek s100 , same thing though :)

What appealed to me , was the site I ordered it from offer regularly updated rom upgrades downloadable from their site - plus ,you also need to download network details from the site (this suggests to me that the device is unbranded / possibly unlocked :) )

But we'll see ! it is on a "giveaway" tarriff of £16 PM (+£50 for the phone) with 6 months half price LR (£8) - giving me 1000 minutes of evening and weekend minutes (which will come in handy once my Three contracts have gone) - obviously I'll be using the S100 on o2 though

Jon3G
26th July 2005, 11:08 AM
Let me know how you get on. a full review will be great :)