View Full Version : 3 Question

sammi310186
8th July 2005, 02:05 PM
Hi i have a contract phone on 3 its a motorola (unsure of exact type without checking) but having had problems with 3 taking the wrong amounts via DD and strangly high bills and not getting anywhere with customer services i decided not to pay this months bill.......the phone has now been blocked i cannot call text or recieve calls and texts

My question is what will happen to the phone if i do not pay, will i be able to use a 3pay sim in it even for a short period of time/get it unlocked to use a different payg sim and if it completely gets blocked with all uk networks which i am assuming it will, will i still be able to use it abroad?

Thanks for any help.

Jon3G
8th July 2005, 02:36 PM
First if you dont pay your bills, the 3 UK will appoint a debt recovery agency to recover the amount you owe.

You will not be able to use another sim from my understanding in the phone because the IMEI should be also blocked.

If you have had the wrong amounts taken from your account and you pay via DD then you can approach your bank provide proof that you have had the wrong amount debited and they will give you the difference back.

Ben
8th July 2005, 06:31 PM
Jon3G offers some sound advice there.

Never stop paying bills if you are under a credit agreement! You'll cause damage to your credit history which may affect bank account, credit card, loan and mortgage applications in the future. By all means cancel your direct debit, but ensure that you pay the amount on your statement each month by the other payment means.

Try [email protected] if your problems with billing are serious - they'll sort it out for you.

The handset is yours and shouldn't get blocked whether you pay Three or not - they only control your USIM card.

bsrjl1
8th July 2005, 06:33 PM
You will not be able to use another sim from my understanding in the phone because the IMEI should be also blocked.

Probably true, but this shouldn't happen. The phone is seperate from the airtime contract & is your property. Bit like the Council changing the locks on your house if you don't pay the tax!

sammi310186
8th July 2005, 09:05 PM
Oh i will be paying them once they have sorted out the bill i have told them (well i have tried but it seems they have a lack of english speaking persons working in their call centres)

Well i am aware that the sim would be blocked i also assumed after a while they would block the imei so the phone was completely useless.

a couple more question hopefully someone will no

If a contract sim gets barred due to non payment i cant make neither recieve calls using my contract usim but i can possibly use a threepay usim in it (until it gets sorted out and paid) or will it only be a short while before they block the imei?

Once the imei number is blocked does that mean the phone is pretty much barred from using all uk networks?

And last but not least once a imei has been barred in the uk can the mobile still work abroad? (with a different network obviosuly)

Thanks

Ben
8th July 2005, 09:09 PM
Yes you can use a Threepay USIM in it.

No, the handset IMEI should not get blocked - you own the phone.

AFAIK UK-barred handsets will work abroad in some/all countries...

But seriously, don't fall behind on your payments. Better to pay them and then argue your case for a refund than withold payments and get lots of little black marks all over your credit history.

Hypnotic
8th July 2005, 09:15 PM
The network won't be able to block the handset via imei unless you have given it to them. They cannot trace the phone without the imei and have no way of getting it without you knowing.

sammi310186
8th July 2005, 09:24 PM
Wouldnt they already have the imei seeing as it is contract? I no they take the number when you register a new threepay phone i just cant rmember whether or not they have ever asked for it when i 1st got my contract phone :confused:

I will be paying them its not that i intentially dont its becuase my bill is normally £15-17 so i made sure £20 was left in my account for the direct debit nd they try and take 2 months bills at the same time i dont have an overdraft facicity so now i owe my bank £24 for an unauthorised overdraft payment grrrrr :mad:

Jon3G
8th July 2005, 09:26 PM
The network won't be able to block the handset via imei unless you have given it to them. They cannot trace the phone without the imei and have no way of getting it without you knowing.

Most handsets unless its one of these "sim Free" deals like the 6680 then the network has your IMEI.

Voda, T-Mobile o2 and Orange do it

Jon3G
8th July 2005, 09:27 PM
Wouldnt they already have the imei seeing as it is contract? I no they take the number when you register a new threepay phone i just cant rmember whether or not they have ever asked for it when i 1st got my contract phone :confused:

I will be paying them its not that i intentially dont its becuase my bill is normally £15-17 so i made sure £20 was left in my account for the direct debit nd they try and take 2 months bills at the same time i dont have an overdraft facicity so now i owe my bank £24 for an unauthorised overdraft payment grrrrr :mad:

Like Ben said pay it man, it really will effect you in the future

Ben
8th July 2005, 09:37 PM
Was it your first bill? You always pay a lot more on your first bill - the usage to the bill date + a month up front.

Hands0n
8th July 2005, 10:34 PM
Firstly - you are completely wasting your time and effort engaging with the Mumbai Customer Service (sic) team. They will be unable to assist you in anything but the most basic of information. They are completely inept at resolving finance account issues. You need their UK support to stand half a chance at making sense of this situation.

Next up - The handset IMEI will not be blocked unless the handset is reported lost or stolen. The database of blocked IMEI is not there to be used punitevely against non-paying customers. It is sufficient for the mobile operator to block the USIM, there is no need to go to such measures as disabling the handset by blocking the IMEI also. That said, it could well be Three [unwritten] policy to do such things, but I have not so far read about it on any of the forums.

If the IMEI is indeed blocked then the handset will be useless anywhere in Europe [at least] and possibly wider still. The intention is for database to go global eventually.

The handset could be used with a Threepay USIM purchased on eBay or from a legit-bought Threepay handset/USIM package from the high street.

Alternatively, the handset could be very simply unlocked and used with any USIM or SIM even. There are caveats to doing this - the Three branding could interfere with how the handset is used on the "new" network. You may need to manually enter in settings for MMS and GPRS/Internet access etc. In fact, the latter is extremely likely, there are threads on this forum detailing what to enter in to the various parts - specifically for LG handsets, but sufficient info to translate into any handset really.

But I would concur with all that has been said above - pay your bill promptly and fight them for the refund of difference etc. If they have made an improper withdrawal that has cost you an overdraft fee then you should also pursue that with the [Three] Executive Office. Enagage your bank if necessary to provide back-up support/information - they should help if you are in the right and Three have erred. You could also consider a Small Claim via the courts - it is an automated process these days, and you can file the claim via the web even! Again, you have to be in the right and not simply made a mistake or misunderstanding [on your part] about what would/should have been taken.

If you are in the right then you are entitled to refund and also payment of the overdraft fee incurred because of Three's maladminstration. Their messing up of DD admin is legend, the back-office admin is utterly dire!