View Full Version : Number Porting - Important Information

3GScottishUser
11th July 2005, 12:02 PM
Some rules are just plain crazy!

According to OFCOM mobile networks are obliged to provide a PAC code to allow phone users to transfer their number to an alternative provider.

OK - that is fairly clear and straigtforward.... but.....

Also according to OFCOM no network is obliged to accept a PAC code either when opening a new account or once one has been established.

What this means is that you can get all the PAC codes you like but a network can simply refuse to accept it and thereby prevent number portability.

Its already happening, look at these terms on the Vodafone Store website.

Prices subject to connection to a Vodafone Limited airtime contract and requires a UK bank account. Price is only available to customers taking a new mobile number and not available to customers who are transferring an existing mobile number from another service provider or network or upgrading an existing mobile number. Prices are subject to change without prior notice. All prices include VAT.

The above does not concern me greatly but could be a serious issue for those who depend on their mobile for business contact etc.

Jon3G
11th July 2005, 02:00 PM
This is what I thought all along and its a real joke

bsrjl1
11th July 2005, 02:28 PM
Of course the networks want to stop people from getting a PAC, going to Virgin, coming back as a 'new' customer & getting all the nice discounts. Voda have been doing this for a while.

This wouldn't be an issue if there wasn't such a massive difference between what you get offered with a new contract & an upgrade....

Jon3G
11th July 2005, 03:55 PM
Never thought of it like that!. Now thats a good idea.

But the Vodafone PAC thing only relates to online offers and not store

fat jez
23rd July 2005, 11:00 PM
I don't see it so much as the network refusing to take the PAC code as the network refusing to take the customer, something they have always had the right to do. There are people out there who have been kicked off every network for causing trouble/fraud, so why should another network take them on, knowing what they are letting themselves in for?

Cheers,
Jez

Ben
23rd July 2005, 11:08 PM
Hmm... yeah, in some circumstances that would be true, but where you've got offers from Vodafone where they're more than willing to accept the customer but will not accept a PAC code so their old number can be ported in is just wrong. Kinda defeats the object!

Things such as fraud would be picked up on a credit check, so the new customer wouldn't get as far as giving the new network their PAC.

fat jez
23rd July 2005, 11:16 PM
Absolutely, I agree with you there. It should only be about whether they are willing to take the customer, not the ported number.

Cheers,
Jez

3GScottishUser
20th August 2005, 01:54 PM
I suspect the above has something to do with guaranteed revenue. With no PAC there is no sharing of revenue, no possibility of ending up with another network´s termination charges etc.

I think Voafone are trying to ´keep it simple´to keep costs as low as possible for on-line deals.