View Full Version : No Internet - because of virus threat - 3's Jones

3GScottishUser
12th July 2005, 11:25 AM
From Siliconrepublic:

Some further insight in the lead-up to the launch of 3's Irish service.

"3’s content proposition differs from existing Irish operators in offering its customers a ‘walled garden’, a controlled environment rather than open access to the internet. “Some 80pc of what you can do on the internet [with a mobile device] is unusable,” according to Jones. “Our services will work and they’re protected. But it’s not a walled garden because if people tell us what they want we’ll try to put it up there for them.”

3 has affiliated ‘managed’ sites, such a Footballs 365, that are available to its customers. He says there is irrefutable evidence that ‘real people’ only to go to four or five sites and warns that a more open network will only encourage viruses. “They are here and they’ll get worse. You try going back to your operator and telling them you’ve got a ruined €500 PDA. They will want nothing to do with you. The way we do it is a responsible stance from a mobile operator.”

Whole article here: http://www.siliconrepublic.com/news/news.nv?storyid=single5075

miffed
12th July 2005, 12:48 PM
You try going back to your operator and telling them you’ve got a ruined €500 PDA. They will want nothing to do with you.

Well , erm , actually , everytime I have had a problem with my expensive PDA's on Orange (9210i - 9500 ) for whatever reason , they have replaced them NEXT DAY , as is the way with Orange Care & I expect that Virus damage would be treated the same
Nice to see Three have clarified their own position on such things - handy to know if you are thinking of signing up with them !

Jon3G
12th July 2005, 12:58 PM
What a load of cow dirt. Thats the biggest load of corporate spin I have ever heard

maven
12th July 2005, 06:33 PM
He says there is irrefutable evidence that ‘real people’ only to go to four or five sites

Utter rubbish. I say back to him that there is equally irrefutable evidence that 'real people' think that people like him talk out of their buttocks.

3GScottishUser
12th July 2005, 10:54 PM
I take on board all of what you have said - but Mr Jones is the one running the show at 3 UK and Ireland - so what he says goes for 3 custimers.

Ben
13th July 2005, 12:34 AM
Four or five sites that you can't access on Three! Open up some basics like access to BBC.co.uk at least! No one's going to contract a nasty virus from there now are they! *fumes*

Jon3G
14th July 2005, 01:39 PM
This guy really needs to get in touch with his customers and adapt to the demands

Hands0n
17th July 2005, 11:53 PM
Three trying to justify the unjustifiable, and failing miserably in the process. But I, for one, am utterly thrilled that they have finally staked their corporate colours to the post after almost two years of false carrot-dangling. Now I know what I am going to do come Jan 2006 when the contract runs out. I am, finally, able to make a fully informed choice based on my own personal criteria.

And as far as H3 are concerned the word "renewal" does not figure in the equation. No Internet = No Further Business from me.