View Full Version : Vodafone Slashes Roaming Costs with 'Passport'

3GScottishUser
14th July 2005, 03:54 PM
Press Release:

Vodafone UK today launches a revolutionary new way to pay for calls abroad, with an easy-to-understand tariff, giving Vodafone customers exceptional value and greater price clarity.

From 15 July, Vodafone Passport customers pay a one-off connection fee of 75p for each call they make. After that, they will pay the same rates as they would at home - if they have inclusive or voice pack minutes, the call could cost nothing more. For example, someone on an Anytime 200 price plan, could call home from Rome and chat for 30 minutes paying just 75p using their bundled minutes.

New research found that mobile phones are becoming an essential hand luggage item*. Vodafone Passport gives the confidence to talk for longer, without having to worry about call costs.

- Research found that eight out of ten people like to keep in touch when abroad; whether it's to catch up on family news, check the pets are being looked after properly or to make reservations and book taxis.

- One in five people don't take their phone abroad, because they think it is currently too expensive.

- 30 per cent of people are now more confident to travel further because they can keep in touch using their mobile.

- Phone home! Over a third of people phone home to speak to their parents.

Tim Yates, Chief Marketing Officer of Vodafone UK explained: "Customers told us they were nervous about using their mobile abroad because they were worried about the costs. A quite typical scenario would be for someone to switch off their phone at the airport and only switch it on if they had an emergency.

"Vodafone UK's new roaming tariff will really revolutionise the way people pay for calls abroad. Vodafone Passport does several things: it gives customers a clear idea of what their calls are going to cost and it also gives them much better value when calling from abroad. Now customers won't have to seek out alternative options to keep in touch. They will be able to take their phone away and call friends, make reservations make any call as if they were at home."

The new tariff is now available in the most popular European destinations including Spain, France, Italy and Portugal**. For example, making a five minute call from Spain back to a UK mobile or landline using home inclusive minutes will cost just 75p compared with GBP3.75 previously (Vodafone World rates).

Vodafone Passport is available on the latest monthly and pay as you talk consumer tariffs. It is also be available on Businesstime tariffs. To activate, Vodafone customers should simply call 5555 from their mobile or visit their local store.

Vodafone Passport is part of Vodafone's Travel Promise to give customers simplicity and better value on roaming services. The initiative will be supported by an above and below the line marketing campaign.

http://www.m2.com/m2/web/story.php/2005B49CE421304DFF378025703E004D0F41

Jon3G
14th July 2005, 04:07 PM
Wow that is really good value

3GScottishUser
14th July 2005, 04:17 PM
You still have to pay when receiving calls abroad I imagine but any movement on roaming has to be welcomed.

solo12002
14th July 2005, 08:09 PM
I agree any move has to be welcomed, but I have to ask two question:

1. Why has it taken them so long.

2. Why were charges so high in the first place, (eg) if on vodafone uk using vodafone ie/nl net work while abroad, why were we charged roaming prices anyway.

I could just about understand if I was on vodafone using the O2 network abroad, but not on the same network. I for one will still buy a pay as you go SIM card when outside of the UK as I find it so much cheaper.

3GScottishUser
15th July 2005, 12:01 AM
Its like everything else. As long as companies can get away with high prices they will.

Remember when DVD came out - the players were £600 - now they are £20 in Asda. Competitin and mass production has forced prices down. Mobile charges are a bit different as the same companies own the networks in various territories but by and large a cosy deal has been in place for too long and the EU have decided to act on it.

Good for travellers and now the networks are preempting the forced reduction of their charges by unvieling more reasonable tarriffs.

The above is good but it will get even better as the cosy relationships between European mobile operators are exposed and forced to charge on the basis of real costs.

Jon3G
15th July 2005, 08:59 AM
Lets hope we see a change in other networks pricing policys

Denyo1977
15th July 2005, 06:32 PM
You still have to pay when receiving calls abroad I imagine but any movement on roaming has to be welcomed.

As far as I know you only pay 75 pence for receiving calls for the first hour and then 20 pence per minute after the first hour. So that wouldn't be a problem either.

Jon3G
26th July 2005, 11:13 AM
Some more info on the Passport offer and it is very clear.

http://www.vodafone.co.uk/cgi-bin/COUK/portal/ep/browse.do?channelPath=/Vodafone%20Portal/Get%20more%20from%20your%20mobile/Going%20abroad/Travel%20promise