View Full Version : Orange rolls out pre-pay incentive

miffed
3rd April 2005, 03:45 PM
Orange rolls out pre-pay incentive - www.telegraph.co.uk
By Dominic White (Filed: 28/03/2005)

Orange is to offer its 9m pre-pay customers £5 of free calls and texts per week if they have already spent £10 as part of a plan to refresh its brand.

The mobile operator wants to attract and retain higher spending pay-as-you-go customers, who it says have been treated as "second class citizens" by the networks, including itself.

Alexis Dormandy, Orange's chief marketing officer, said: "Many high spenders stay on pre-pay because they like the flexibility it offers. But if you've been paying £20, £30 or £40 a month on pre-pay, you've been paying too much. These customers have effectively been subsidising everyone else in the market."

Pre-pay users are charged more for handsets than contract customers and tend to pay more for calls and texts because networks offer discounts to secure users on 12- or 18-month contracts. Pay-as-you-go customers still account for 65pc of all mobile users, and while many are low spenders, Orange says at least a third of its pre-pay users will benefit.

Its offer, which starts on April 1, is available to new customers and to existing users who register online or through an Orange call centre. The offer runs from Sundays to Sundays, and users must use up all their free credit before the seven days are up.

The move provides further evidence of fierce competition in the pre-pay sector, where the past weeks have seen a price war break out between easyMobile and Carphone Warehouse's Fresh division. As the UK mobile market reaches saturation point, operators are under increasing pressure to prevent subscribers leaving to join cheaper rivals.

Mr Dormandy, who joined Orange last year and helped to launch Virgin Mobile, plans a new customer initiative every two months over the next 18 months in a bid to revive Orange's image.

Ben
3rd April 2005, 05:50 PM
Hmm... so, you buy £10 on Monday, you use it all by, say, Thursday, and then get a further £5 of credit free? It's a bit of a messy promotion, but potentially very good value if you're a high spender. Running it from Sunday to Sunday is a mistake, it should be variable worked from the date you actually top up. Surely this will result in people buying new topups on Sunday or Monday and their lines being really quiet for the rest of the week?

A new incentive every 2 months & reviving the Orange brand sounds hopeful. Maybe he can give France Telecom a kick in the doodah's while he's at it?

Hands0n
11th April 2005, 10:43 PM
Won't this "new incentive every 2 months" lead to a degree of "Offer Fatigue" in the customer base? I love the idea of an all out price war - my ideal would be for mobile rates to match or better landline rates, that's what they'll have to do to get me to give up my landline and go mobile exclusively!

But I wonder if the buying public can sustain an interest in all of these wonderful offers. Can the networks really cope with huge churns and the accompanying requests for number portability?

That's my bit of doom-mongering for tonight :)