View Full Version : Free Videocalls on Vodafone

3GScottishUser
16th July 2005, 06:19 PM
Free Evening & Weekend 3G Video Calling Promotion

1. Free evening and weekend video calling, to any domestic network offering a 3G video calling service.
2. Daytime rates apply 8am-7pm, Monday to Friday for Vodafone post pay contract customers and 7.30am-7.30pm Monday to Friday for Vodafone Pay as you Talk customers.
3. This offer is only available to Vodafone customers with a 3G video calling compatible handset.
4. This offer only applies to cross network domestic (U.K.) video calls. International calls (U.K. to overseas) will be charged at 55p per minute. Roaming calls using video calling will be charged at the published Vodafone World voice roaming rates. See www.vodafone.co.uk/goingabroad or in-store for details.
5. This offer excludes any calls made to premium rate numbers.
6. The offer period is from 1st June 2005 to 30th Sept 2005.
7. Any Vodafone live! service is offered subject to our fair use policy available on our website at www.vodafone.co.uk or in-store.

Picked up this info from www.todayon3g.co.uk seems like a worthwhile promotion - even cheaper than 'stop the clock'.

getti
16th July 2005, 10:47 PM
Yeh its been going for a while now. More info can be found in the News area on Today On 3G (http://www.todayon3g.co.uk/videocalling.htm)

Does seem like Vodafone are going all out to be the cheapest network.

Im with them on PAYG and not only do i get Stop The Clock meaning a 60min call with only cost 3mins, but i now get Vodafone Passport which will save me a fortune when i go France this year and Spain next year.

Add to that the fact Vodafone are now giving me free video calling mins to any network on evenings and weekends!!

3GScottishUser
17th July 2005, 10:51 AM
Not forgetting they have some tempting offers on-line with free (decent) handsets, 1/2 price line rental and free extra text bundles!

I used to think Vodafone were expensive and I'm actually happy to pay a bit more for qulaity (after finding out the true cost/service with you-know-what) but5 it looks like you can have your cake and eat it - for now anyway!!

Hands0n
17th July 2005, 07:17 PM
FX: Stuffs Vodafone PAYT SIM into LG U8120 and tops it up for a bit of this action :)

Marvelous really!! Wow!! Cor even !! Like some, I went off Vodafone quite a bit - maybe they're going to do something to tempt me back. Stranger things have happened at sea .............. apparently!!

Hands0n
17th July 2005, 10:06 PM
Well, I can verify all of the above, woo hoo :D .......... I have just got off from a 26-minute Videocall x-net to an Orange number (an old workmate of mine with a 6680). I was on the "crash and burn" LG U8120 [that I use to test new unlocks] and have to say that Video quality was a bit below what I normally see on my H3 e1000 - that could have been 'cos of the x-net (but I doubt it) or the LG U8120's relatively low processor power (more likely imo).

Still, I am staggered that they are giving this away when the best that H3 could muster was 20p per min on-net and 50p per min x-net. Surely this will begin to drive up the use of Vodafone's Videocall, at least until they start levying their normal tariff.

A very nice bit of trail-blazing by Vodafone, they must be highly congratulated. Now all I've got to figure out is how to work Stop The Clock (okay I've been a bit of a lazy sod and not read the Ts & Cs).

I'll be making quite a bit of use of this and STC ..........

getti
18th July 2005, 09:02 AM
I think the speed issue on your video calling was because of the phone AND being x-net.

On the Sharp 902 im testing it was the same to 3 (not as bad), but on doing Voda to Voda it was fine. Also seems fine when calling Orange users.

Three will always have the best quality video calling speed because they have the largest license which gives them more bandwith and they have no data calls to slow it down.

But then you must think of cost. 80p to do a x-net video call on 3 when the promotion ends? WTF! springs to mind.

Im on Vodafone now with PAYG and it seems very cheap. A 56min call last night cost me about 40p. Thats only £0.007p per min !. (Not even a penny a min)