View Full Version : Numbers are Up again for 02

3GScottishUser
20th July 2005, 09:58 AM
From Sky News (20/07/2005):

O2 says it picked up 646,000 new subscribers in its first quarter.

An unexpectedly robust UK performance helped bolster another strong German showing.

O2, Europe's sixth-largest mobile phone company with 24.6m customers, said 232,000 new subscribers had signed up in Britain and 412,000 in Germany, its two key markets.

That was substantially more than some analysts had forecast.

The costs of winning new customers - in terms of promotions and marketing - regulatory price cuts in Britain and Germany and rising competition left their mark.

UK service revenues grew by 3%, in line with the company's mid-single-digit full-year target, but by a solid 24% in Germany, topping some expectations.

O2 says it is confident of hitting full-year forecasts.

Full Article (http://www.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30400-13389601,00.html?f=rss)

Ben
20th July 2005, 01:15 PM
Looking at the recent Mobile Today tariff tracker it's obvious that O2 are having a substantial acquisition push - infact I think 6 or 7 of the top 20 tariffs were O2, with companies like Orange only featuring once!

I hope the period of growth is a meaningful one. O2 certainly have some attractive offers right now, particularly for me their SIM-only contracts, but their bolt-ons are clumsy and website confusing.

3GScottishUser
20th July 2005, 01:21 PM
Surprising is'nt it?

Who'd have thought it?

02 seem to be gaining share and they are not doing the kind of wild deals that Virgin, 3 and some others seem to be focussing on. Just goes to show what a well respected down to earth product can achieve.

I suspect 02 are less suseptable to churn as they have always been a popular choice for younger phone users. They were 1st to recognise the importance of SMS for youngsters and seem to have made efforts to keep their customers happy with incentives etc.

solo12002
20th July 2005, 05:41 PM
but their bolt-ons are clumsy and website confusing.

I agree with Ben's views.

Bolt ons are confusing, I rather have cheaper prices or a bolt on the you can understand, and some things like best vaule, where they check your price plan every six months is useless, as by the time they inform you of the first six months results your contract is up, I do like the 30 day Sim only deal and Ithink the fact they give free Text messages and voicemail as well as chearper roaming is good, some other networks should follow their lead.

Web site is confusing, its not even in the new O2 colours, more like the old genie colours, lack of information, you can see the online charges ok but to obtain the shop ones you have to down load a PDF file, blackberry, takes you to another micro site, E mail is crap no anti-virus and you can only seen in box, or sent or junk mail boes, plus you can only see e mails in a small scree, not the whole screen so it needs looked at. I also feel they could push 3G a bit more offering to up grade sim cards to 3g and offering 3G on PAYG more.