View Full Version : Voafone Launch PAYG 3G Datacard

3GScottishUser
21st July 2005, 11:05 AM
From Bios Magazine (21/07/2005):

Vodafone UK has announced the availability of the UK's first Vodafone Mobile Connect Prepay 3G data card. Although 3G datacards are available from all four main mobile phone networks, until now you had to sign up to a monthly subscription.

The Mobile Connect Prepay 3G data card promises to let you start to work remotely within minutes. Promising easy-to-install software, you should only need to 'top up' your Vodafone Mobile Connect 3G/GPRS data card to be able to start sending and receiving e-mails or surfing the Web throughout the UK or in 13 countries worldwide.

The card comes with 10MB of 'free' data traffic per month and further top ups can be purchased in a similar way to regular mobile phones - by telephone, in Vodafone retail stores and online. Additional usage will be charged at £3.07 (ex. VAT) per MB in the UK and £9.085 (ex. VAT) per MB internationally.

The launch of the pay-as-you-go service brings 3G into line with Wi-Fi, which has been available from the start on an ad-hoc basis. However, using 3G for data is still considerably more expensive than using Wi-Fi.

Full Story (http://www.biosmagazine.co.uk/article.php?id=1822)

getti
21st July 2005, 12:48 PM
Yeh i saw this info this morning. £199.99 is a bit much tho for the card dont you think?

Ben
21st July 2005, 12:50 PM
I'm sure Dabs.com et al have been selling the Voda card with PAYG for quite some time now... so this is a bit of a weird announcement. Crazy prices though - absolute ripoff. What's that, £3.60/mb (inc VAT)? No ta!

getti
21st July 2005, 01:02 PM
well you say that......but.... if you have a PAYG mobile phone and access the full internet (using phone as modem) it;s £7350 per MB.

Maybe this will see the data charge come down

Jon3G
21st July 2005, 01:43 PM
Its not bad really.

Orange do a similar thing and the card is £299.99 and its £2.35 per/MB

http://shop.orange.co.uk/shop/3g_plans

Ben
21st July 2005, 05:06 PM
well you say that......but.... if you have a PAYG mobile phone and access the full internet (using phone as modem) it;s £7350 per MB.

Maybe this will see the data charge come down
*cough* £7350/mb? Me thinks more like £7.35/mb ;)

solo12002
21st July 2005, 08:00 PM
Anyone find details on the Vodafone web site about this?? I cat