View Full Version : Recording conversations on the 6680

maven
21st July 2005, 01:09 PM
Does anyone know how to do it? Regardless of the legality, I often get lied to by a certain company and now I want to catch them in the act. I know there's a 'sound recorder' in the 'Office' option but that only lasts for a minute - I need to record longer conversations.

Jon3G
21st July 2005, 01:48 PM
You could a dictiaphone software package

http://www.symbianware.com/index.php?pl=n6680

PowerDictaphone version 1.04

Its about halfway down the page

Ben
21st July 2005, 05:10 PM
Curious! I could have sworn there would be a call record feature but I guess that must have been on one of my Sony Ericssons or something. Recording the conversations is certainly a good idea though!

Jon3G
21st July 2005, 06:17 PM
Yes when you are talking to 3 CS

cyberkid999
22nd July 2005, 06:33 PM
Does anyone know how to do it? Regardless of the legality, I often get lied to by a certain company and now I want to catch them in the act. I know there's a 'sound recorder' in the 'Office' option but that only lasts for a minute - I need to record longer conversations.

you can do it on the 6630 so cant see why it wont work on the 6680. The phone is multitasking so you its features to switch between the recorder and telephone and record as normal - works fine on my 6630 as I tried it for a guy asking on the REAL 3G forum at http://www.3g.co.uk/

Ben
22nd July 2005, 07:30 PM
...this forum is as 'real' a 3G forum as any other. Welcome to Talk3G!

Can you use the Recorder application during a call to record both your own voice and the person on the other end of the line? It'd be really good if there was an option built-in for during a call that would record, just like muting microphone or placing the call on hold.

maven
23rd July 2005, 08:39 PM
you can do it on the 6630 so cant see why it wont work on the 6680. The phone is multitasking so you its features to switch between the recorder and telephone and record as normal - works fine on my 6630 as I tried it for a guy asking on the REAL 3G forum at http://www.3g.co.uk/

Ahh yes, the 3G forum where you get instantly banned for breaking minor rules without so much as an explanation or a reply when you email old Milesy boy!

Yes I'm aware the voice recorder works but as I said, it only records 1 minute clips.

cyberkid999
23rd July 2005, 10:42 PM
Ahh yes, the 3G forum where you get instantly banned for breaking minor rules without so much as an explanation or a reply when you email old Milesy boy!

shouldnt break the rules then. I have had no problems and there seems to be a lot more people there to help. The 6630 group here has only 1 thread at the moment....

Jon3G
23rd July 2005, 11:51 PM
You may have already broken the rules. I got my account banned for joining here and so have others.

Anyway back to topic

maven
23rd July 2005, 11:54 PM
shouldnt break the rules then.

Such as adding a single comment which takes a thread slightly off-topic?

I have had no problems and there seems to be a lot more people there to help.

Only because they don't know about this site. Perhaps we can post about this site there in order to give 3G customers more choice (which sites such as these should be promoting, yes?) - ah yes, that's right, you're not allowed to. Instead Miles just rips ideas out of sites he sees as 'competition' like he did with my 3hell forum.

Anyway I don't want to discuss that place - everyone here knows what kind of hole it is, they don't need me to add to their opinions.

The 6630 group here has only 1 thread at the moment....

Perhaps it's because not many people are interested in a 3G phone which cannot make full use of 3G services!

Schockwave
23rd July 2005, 11:59 PM
You may have already broken the rules. I got my account banned for joining here and so have others.

Anyway back to topic

Why on earth did they do that? I find that strange, that if you join one forum and then another one about 3G phones, that on one of them you get banned, that is not good, in my opinion. :confused: :eek: :rolleyes:

Hands0n
24th July 2005, 12:06 AM
Adjacent to the actual topic:

You may find this link useful http://www.grumbletext.co.uk/page.php?pn=gtrecord

Here you can arrange to have your phone call recorded (for a fee) and then retreived as a sound file for subsequent storage or use if legally required. You have the option of the recording service inserting an announcement at the beginning of the call, or you can use your own words to let the person you are calling know that the call is being recorded for "quality assessment purposes" or somesuch.

However, if dealing with 3 I would expect "click" to be the next sound I heard :D

I have not used the service myself but keep the URL handy for that inevitable day that some company or other warrants its use.

Jon3G
24th July 2005, 12:09 AM
Long story

But

I had an account called Jon3G and I changed the email address, but entered the wrong detials and the account was locked. I contacted the admin and requested for them to sort it out, got a response - register again. So I did with Jon3G. (notice the Dot)

I then joined this forum and my account was suspended about 3 weeks later. I emailed the admin, but got nothing back and they still had the cheek to spam me with junk.

The only reason the users database is so big, is because of the tactics like this to create accounts

Jon3G
24th July 2005, 12:11 AM
Adjacent to the actual topic:

You may find this link useful http://www.grumbletext.co.uk/page.php?pn=gtrecord

Here you can arrange to have your phone call recorded (for a fee) and then retreived as a sound file for subsequent storage or use if legally required. You have the option of the recording service inserting an announcement at the beginning of the call, or you can use your own words to let the person you are calling know that the call is being recorded for "quality assessment purposes" or somesuch.

However, if dealing with 3 I would expect "click" to be the next sound I heard :D

I have not used the service myself but keep the URL handy for that inevitable day that some company or other warrants its use.

Thats very handy, Hands on.

See another example of commitment from the Talk 3G community :)

Hands0n
24th July 2005, 12:18 AM
The admin of the Forum in question was highly positive with me until I registered on this forum. Almost within the week I was banned from 3g.co.uk (although they were quite happy to continue to use my posts and entry into their competitions). I emailed their Admin several times to ask for an explanation. They were impolite enough to not even bother to reply. They behaved as judge, jury and executioner in that respect and did not even have the courage or decency to cite their reasons.

I bear no grudge whatsoever but am not at all appreciative of such impoliteness. It is entirely uncivilised.

This is entirely off topic though and perhaps we should not focus on this matter too much.

Schockwave
24th July 2005, 12:31 AM
Sorry, was just curious and thank you for the replies, I am glad to have joined this forum, did not know about the other one, as I said strange.

Thank you for the link about software downloads, have downloaded some of them and will give them a go, sometime.

You should be able to record directly on the mobile by going Office and then Recorder, and then you can record both voices, but should let the other person know that is what you are doing. Hope this helps. :) ;)

Jon3G
24th July 2005, 01:27 AM
Not problem, glad we could help

:)

maven
24th July 2005, 07:57 PM
You should be able to record directly on the mobile by going Office and then Recorder, and then you can record both voices, but should let the other person know that is what you are doing. Hope this helps. :) ;)

As I've said twice in this thread now, the recording feature only records clips on 1 minute in duration. I need something to do longer.

Hands0n
24th July 2005, 09:48 PM
@maven - judging by the response so far the answer would appear to be "No" as far as recording within the handset is concerned. That being the case, you may have no other available option than to record outside of the handset either by using a Landline with attached casette recorder (these are cheaply had) or using services such as the link I posted above.

Unless, as Esther Rantzen used to say, someone knows different .......... There may well be a utility for the 6000 series that we have not knowledge of on here at the moment.

Edit: I did a bit of a google and found a possible resource and a few specifics that may do what you want .... have a look at these;
Automatically record phone calls:.....
http://my-symbian.com/7650/applications/applications.php?faq=2&fldAuto=764

Spy Call is an automated conversation recodring program
http://my-symbian.com/7650/applications/applications.php?faq=2&fldAuto=815

Natural Recorder will solve the problem of important information missed during phone conversations. It will record all phone calls automatically.......
http://my-symbian.com/7650/applications/applications.php?faq=2&fldAuto=1153

I'm sure you'll find more on the http://my-symbian.com website. The above were in the "Miscellaneous Utilities" section of the site.

HTH.

maven
25th July 2005, 05:37 PM
OK cheers for your help. I don't really want to pay for a programme to do it as it's a feature I think should come for free and built-in to the phone. Also the ones you've pointed out make a periodic beep through recordings, not something I would want as company representatives' attitudes immediately change when they realise the customer is recording the call - and I want to catch them in the act.

Hands0n
26th July 2005, 12:12 AM
@maven - lack of beep during recording - I think you'll find that you are on very dodgy footing, even though the call is your own. The beep has some UK regulatory requirement, although I cant quote exactly at this time.

Jon3G
26th July 2005, 11:05 AM
Dont worry about the beep, the agent would not even notice it if you did it before the agent answered or if you did it during conversation

maven
26th July 2005, 05:35 PM
@maven - lack of beep during recording - I think you'll find that you are on very dodgy footing, even though the call is your own. The beep has some UK regulatory requirement, although I cant quote exactly at this time.

I'm not all that bothered to be honest - they'd get in more trouble for lying than I would for not informing them it was being recorded. Think about it - would they risk all the negative publicity of prosecuting a customer who did that simply because the service was so bad and was used to agents lying?