View Full Version : CPW will unbrand your handset... for a fee.

Ben
21st July 2005, 05:15 PM
Sick of the network branding that came on your 6680? This is especially likely if you're an Orange customer. Well, help is at hand at your local Carphone Warehouse that services Nokia handsets. Carphone Warehouse will only upgrade your handset software for free with the same branded software you started with, but for £30 they will upgrade your phone with the latest generic software.

I should add that I haven't personally tried this and I'm only going by what they told me over the phone, so don't take it as red. If anyone has £30 to waste I'd love to hear how it goes though!

I wanted to get my 6680 upgraded today. I called through to check I could, but once I arrived I was told a) the technician was too busy today and b) he hadn't downloaded the software yet and it was so massive that it'd take all night to download.

I'd imagine both were lies, the guy I spoke to at CPW Canterbury Sturry Road didn't seem like a very helpful chap. In any case, how is the software upgrade going to be 'massive' given that the phone's internal memory is only 10mb! ;)

I'd be interested to find someone else who could flash the phone for me. I really want it done while-I-wait though...

Jon3G
21st July 2005, 06:19 PM
Its very funny when people talk ******** about things, The file should only be about 2 MB at the most

Hands0n
21st July 2005, 09:34 PM
It can take a long time to download software from the flashfile servers as many tend to throttle the send speed at the server end - probably to avoid getting their Internet pipe blown away by international demand. Although "all night" seems a bit excessive - the Flash files for the Motorola E1000 and A835 are around 20MB in size (zipped) and from what I've seen of Nokia files, they are typically smaller. Although the N-Gage QD files are 32-34MB and so being a Series 6000 machine I'd expect the 6680 to be similarly sized.

Still, can't see it taking "all night" to download and .... even then ..... so what ???? Download the sucker and provide the service geezer!!

Still no info on the Unlocker forums about the availability of 3rd party Unlock/Reflash kit for the latest Nokia protections (BB5) grrrrrr.

Hypnotic
21st July 2005, 09:52 PM
It can take a long time to download software from the flashfile servers as many tend to throttle the send speed at the server end - probably to avoid getting their Internet pipe blown away by international demand. Although "all night" seems a bit excessive - the Flash files for the Motorola E1000 and A835 are around 20MB in size (zipped) and from what I've seen of Nokia files, they are typically smaller. Although the N-Gage QD files are 32-34MB and so being a Series 6000 machine I'd expect the 6680 to be similarly sized.

Still, can't see it taking "all night" to download and .... even then ..... so what ???? Download the sucker and provide the service geezer!!

Still no info on the Unlocker forums about the availability of 3rd party Unlock/Reflash kit for the latest Nokia protections (BB5) grrrrrr.

Where are the motorola flash files on the internet? Still got a a835 buried somewhere and have nothing better to do with it.

bsrjl1
21st July 2005, 10:08 PM
Latest Nokia 6680 sw 3.4.37 EURO is about 150Mb, as it includes many variants for lots of operators. Perhaps I should start offering an unbranding service for £20...? ;-)

Ben
21st July 2005, 10:18 PM
Latest Nokia 6680 sw 3.4.37 EURO is about 150Mb, as it includes many variants for lots of operators. Perhaps I should start offering an unbranding service for £20...? ;-)
Yes please ;) Make it a tenner for your favourite forum admin! :p

Operator branding is definitely making a market for those who will flash handsets with the generic software.

Hands0n
21st July 2005, 10:25 PM
Where are the motorola flash files on the internet? Still got a a835 buried somewhere and have nothing better to do with it.

They are all over the place and a reasonable place to start looking for references could be http://forum.gsmhosting.com/vbb/index.php?

Flash files tend not to be generally available as far as I can tell. And they can be made specific to the unlock kit to be used on - although convertors seem to be available also. Each unlock kit has a support website where the flashfiles can be downloaded.

If you just want to de-brand your A835 you only need the Flex file which is quite small by comparison. You only need the Flashfiles if you want to change the software version.

Or - you could edit the Flex directly on the handset using a utility called "LeaderGL Flex Editor" and de-brand your handset like that if you fancy a real tussle around inside the Flex itself - quite a bit of fun to play with - make sure you back up your flex using the editor *before* getting into the playing around bit.

HTH

bsrjl1
22nd July 2005, 10:12 AM
Yes please ;) Make it a tenner for your favourite forum admin! :p

Operator branding is definitely making a market for those who will flash handsets with the generic software.

Lol :-) Don't think my employer would be pleased, and getting to the post office to collect phones is a nightmare as I have a job!

Problem is to flash them you need a working SIM; doesn't work in offline mode for some reason. I'd have to buy a load of SIMs.

miffed
22nd July 2005, 10:58 AM
Wonder if they would unbrand a 66X0 from the Three network ? or more specifically , a Three 66X0 bought from CPW ?

It's just this is something CPW point blank refused to do with the 7600 I seem to recall

Jon3G
22nd July 2005, 12:09 PM
Lol :-) Don't think my employer would be pleased, and getting to the post office to collect phones is a nightmare as I have a job!

Problem is to flash them you need a working SIM; doesn't work in offline mode for some reason. I'd have to buy a load of SIMs.

Not really just use the same sim over and over

bsrjl1
22nd July 2005, 04:02 PM
Not really just use the same sim over and over

Yes but as most of them a locked, I'd need one for each network.

Jon3G
22nd July 2005, 04:44 PM

Unlock them first, throw it in with the service :D

Ben
22nd July 2005, 05:12 PM
Now we're getting somewhere! All this for a fiver? Great stuff! ;)

cyberkid999
22nd July 2005, 06:23 PM
Sick of the network branding that came on your 6680? This is especially likely if you're an Orange customer. Well, help is at hand at your local Carphone Warehouse that services Nokia handsets. Carphone Warehouse will only upgrade your handset software for free with the same branded software you started with, but for £30 they will upgrade your phone with the latest generic software.

I should add that I haven't personally tried this and I'm only going by what they told me over the phone, so don't take it as red. If anyone has £30 to waste I'd love to hear how it goes though!

I wanted to get my 6680 upgraded today. I called through to check I could, but once I arrived I was told a) the technician was too busy today and b) he hadn't downloaded the software yet and it was so massive that it'd take all night to download.

I'd imagine both were lies, the guy I spoke to at CPW Canterbury Sturry Road didn't seem like a very helpful chap. In any case, how is the software upgrade going to be 'massive' given that the phone's internal memory is only 10mb! ;)

I'd be interested to find someone else who could flash the phone for me. I really want it done while-I-wait though...

The Nokia Sevice Centre I visit upgrades with generic versions when available as a matter of course as they have that many poblems with branded firmware - they ask first though.

cyberkid999
22nd July 2005, 06:24 PM

wow big deal - how many would that be - five or six......

cyberkid999
22nd July 2005, 06:26 PM

interesting idea from a senior contributor - have you not noticed what thread you are in. We are talking about the 6680 which to all intents and purposes CANNOT be unlocked so how can he offer such a service?

cyberkid999
22nd July 2005, 06:28 PM
Wonder if they would unbrand a 66X0 from the Three network ? or more specifically , a Three 66X0 bought from CPW ?

It's just this is something CPW point blank refused to do with the 7600 I seem to recall

if you go to a REAL independent Service Centre you will be able to get it upgraded with the latest generic firmware for FREE if under warranty. I even had it done on a 6600 at the main Nokia Centre in the UK so dont anybody say they cant do it - they can if they really want to.

cyberkid999
22nd July 2005, 06:30 PM
Now we're getting somewhere! All this for a fiver? Great stuff! ;)

call yourself an administrator. This thread is about the 6680 which to all intents and purposes CANNOT be unlocked so how is this guy going to do it for a fiver.....

Ben
22nd July 2005, 07:24 PM
*sends cyberkid999 a free Sense of Humour kit*

Please do not make multiple posts one after the other - just reply once and do all the quoting you need in there.

3GScottishUser
22nd July 2005, 07:24 PM
Calm down cyberkid, I suspect most of the 'banter' above is tounge-in-cheek.

We try to be lighthearted here sometimes too!!!

bsrjl1
22nd July 2005, 08:17 PM
It's a shame Phoenix can't unlock the handsets. Winlock used to work with Wintesla, but there isn't any equivalent for Phoenix.

cyberkid999
22nd July 2005, 08:56 PM
*sends cyberkid999 a free Sense of Humour kit*

Please do not make multiple posts one after the other - just reply once and do all the quoting you need in there.

I did not reply, i did quote but due to the way this board operates it has put all my posts at the bottom instead of in the order in which they were replied to ie in the same thread instead of all together at the bottom like it seems to have done.

whatleydude
25th August 2005, 07:08 PM
if you go to a REAL independent Service Centre you will be able to get it upgraded with the latest generic firmware for FREE if under warranty. I even had it done on a 6600 at the main Nokia Centre in the UK so dont anybody say they cant do it - they can if they really want to.

I really, really want my 6630 generic-ed up.

Where abouts is this 'main Nokia Centre' dude?
Is there one in London do you think/know?

Bloody Networks... Grrrr...

I can't believe I got my phones firmware updated only to find its still Vodafone!

Grargh...

cyberkid999
25th August 2005, 09:15 PM
I really, really want my 6630 generic-ed up.

Where abouts is this 'main Nokia Centre' dude?
Is there one in London do you think/know?

Bloody Networks... Grrrr...

I can't believe I got my phones firmware updated only to find its still Vodafone!

Grargh...

thats the norm as they use a machine that reads the code and puts the same network version on and cant do anything else, or so I have been told on the forums but thats crap and I know that for a fact as my local centre routinely asks if I want the generic firmware using.
You can find all the service centres on Nokia's site and their main center is for mail order use.

http://www.nokia.co.uk/nokia/0,,77483,00.html

I would avoid the CPW branches if you want anything 'special' doing like this.

Ben
25th August 2005, 09:32 PM
"I would avoid the CPW branches if you want anything 'special' doing like this."

I'll second that! After trying to get it done at the CPW in Canterbury I'll just be sending my phone off special delivery to Nokia should the need ever arise.

whatleydude
26th August 2005, 12:28 PM
Cheers for the advice guys.

I phoned Nokia yesterday and they gave me the name and number of an independent place in Teddington (which is just round the corner for me) that should be able to do it.

So, fingers crossed.

3g-g
29th August 2005, 08:30 PM
Right. It's been less than a week and I'm sick of the Orange "signature" home screen already. I hate the fact that it's a program running that's taking up valuable processor time just so I can see all that info on the front screen... and I dont like how it spoils the rest of the Nokia themes behind it, it just looks so dis-jointed and wrong.

If the price is right I'm going to have it flashed. I'm away to find the nearest place. I shall keep you all updated.

fat jez
30th August 2005, 12:37 AM
The only thing that would worry me is line 2 support, as I can't afford to lose that. My Line 1 is a company paid line but I pay the line 2, so I need to have it working.

Cheers,
Jez

3g-g
30th August 2005, 02:57 PM
Ah, see I just have a business line, so I'm ok. I'm going to head down to my local CPW on Thursday and find out what they say. I shall keep you all posted!

whatleydude
1st September 2005, 12:02 PM
I couldn't get hold of the place in Teddington.

So I called SPW in Kensington.
They flatly refused to flash my phone with generic firmware.

The phone's locked to Vodafone and if they did that it would void the warantee apparently..

*sigh - considers a trip to Teddington in search of the mystical phone shop*

3g-g
1st September 2005, 06:29 PM
Ok, not first hand experience, however a chap in my team had his 6680 "done" today at the CPW. He explained that his handset was brand new, under warrenty and didn't like the Orange pre-loaded SW. They kept it in overnight and it's now a generic 6680 Orange monkey SW free bad boy. The best thing about his trip to CPW... they did it for free!! As he proved it was a brand new handset they said his warrenty covered the SW and flashed it for him.

I'll be there tomorrow to find out more.

Ben
1st September 2005, 06:30 PM
That's great! Sounds like he found a good CPW... I wish that was the case at all of them. Good luck!

3g-g
2nd September 2005, 04:54 PM
Just a quick one before I go and get mashed on Friday night alcohol. I went to the CPW today.. dropped my handset off, they accepted that I had a "software problem ;)" I got it back 2 hours later completely free of all Orange branded SW!! And, as it was a "SW related issue" it was covered under warrenty, so no charge to me!! W00t!

I feel so liberated!!! (there's an in joke there) ;)

Bring on the pinot!

fat jez
2nd September 2005, 05:50 PM
So does line 2 work or not?

Cheers,
Jez

Ben
2nd September 2005, 06:17 PM
Ah, see I just have a business line, so I'm ok. I'm going to head down to my local CPW on Thursday and find out what they say. I shall keep you all posted!
So I'm guessing he wouldn't be able to answer that :(
When I have an answerphone message on my generic handset it does say something like "Voicemail on Line 1". Is there any way to know if the handset will support Line 2 without actually having Line 2 and trying it?

fat jez
2nd September 2005, 08:51 PM
I feel so liberated!!! (there's an in joke there) ;)

Assuming the in-joke is what I think it is, he should have a line 2 in addition to a company paid line 1, the same as I do. Whether he uses it or not is another matter ;)

When I have an answerphone message on my generic handset it does say something like "Voicemail on Line 1". Is there any way to know if the handset will support Line 2 without actually having Line 2 and trying it?

Not that I'm aware of and since line 2 is not exactly common, I can't think of any way of trying it.

Cheers,
Jez

whatleydude
3rd September 2005, 08:44 AM
Right then!

I'm going to have words with my local CPW!

3g-g
3rd September 2005, 04:17 PM
Assuming the in-joke is what I think it is, he should have a line 2 in addition to a company paid line 1, the same as I do. Whether he uses it or not is another matter ;)

I have a line 2, however it's on another handset, ours all got seperated. On the software though it still gives you the option to select two different ring tones, one for each line, and the same when an answerphone message is on the screen, it shows the left circle of the icon coloured in, suggesting that it's a line one message. All that said, I still can't be 100% sure the function is supported, I shall try and find out this week coming, I'll grab someone in the offices SIM and try.

whatleydude
5th September 2005, 09:58 AM
Well - I found the Mystical Debranding shop in Teddington..
But it all went horribly wrong from there...

I took my 6630 along to the (Nokia recommended) independent retailer in Teddington on Saturday to get it debranded.. ie - take off all the Vodafone software and then put Nokia's original software back on.

..and well - the bloke in the shop took the Vodafone software off....
But then couldn't anything back onto it.
Grr..
Not even the original Vodafone stuff that he took off!

Apparently this had never happened before..

Anywhoo - he's given me a 6230 to tide me over til Friday when hopefully the phone will be back from Nokia, (which is where he's sending it today to get repaired and upgraded firmware wise).

I'll keep you updated..

Ben
5th September 2005, 02:12 PM
Yeah... there's some kind of number or code he should have checked first if I remember correctly, there are different versions of the software or something. If he'd known what he was doing then it would've been fine. Ah well, Nokia will sort it - what a pain though!

whatleydude
12th September 2005, 10:08 AM
Hi folks,

I should be getting my (unbranded) 6630 back anyday now.
I've got one more question regarding firmware..

When I get my phone back I'm going to do a 'phone restore' via my PC Suite.
Will this effect the firmware at all?
ie - erase all of Nokia's hard work and put the vodafone stuff back on again?

I figure probably not - because I'm only restoring data as such..
But there's no harm in checking right?

....right?

Ben
12th September 2005, 02:17 PM
Pretty damn certain it can't affect the firmware, otherwise we'd all be flashing our phones via PC Suite!

Grats on the debrand ;)

whatleydude
15th September 2005, 09:50 AM
The Saga Continues...

Got a phonecall from Glen at Netcom yesterday..

"Hi Mr Whatley, your phone arrived back from Nokia today!"

"Brilliant..."

"Would you still like the generic software?"

"Pardon? I thought thats what you did?"

"Er.. No. Nokia flashed it with the latest Vodafone firmware... would you like me to have another go?"

"Yeah.. go on then. Why not. Fingers crossed it'll work this time. Have you done one before?"

"Yeah.. kind of. Done lots of 6680s.."

"But no 6630s?"

"No."

"Ah.. *sigh* ..well check the procedures and have another go for me. I REALLY want it done."

So - fingers crossed I'll get back to you later reporting that my 6630 is alive and well (and debranded)..

AAARGH!
Why is this so difficult?!
Damn you Network-Specific-Firmware!

whatleydude
15th September 2005, 11:25 AM
Apologies for double-postage but for some reason I can't edit my previous one..

Spoke to Netcom this morning.

Bad news.

The dude got three quarters of the way through putting the generic software on and then....
The phone rejected it and died.
He's got no idea why this is and thinks it might be a Vodafone issue.
So he's sending it back again. But this time he's going to investigate the cause of the problem.. which is kinda good in a way because it'll stop this kind of thing happening again in the near future.

BUT I STILL DONT HAVE MY PHONE!

Grr..
Never mind.
At this rate - by the time I get it done - I'll have my upgrade!
Bloody thing..

All because I want MP3s as ringtones..
*SIGH*

dgilbert2
24th September 2005, 05:05 PM
ummm with many stories floating round about phones not working AT ALL after a firmware flash, I think I'm going to stay with the Orange branding until it gets more reliable!

Anyone had a sucess though in Nottingham / Derby / Leicester areas?

Ben
25th September 2005, 01:04 AM
I think it's only the Vodafone branded ones that have experienced problems, and it's something to do with ensuring you flash with the right version of the firmware. I don't know anyone personally who has a debranded 6680 yet though, but then I don't know anyone personally who tried and failed either.

Denyo1977
25th September 2005, 07:27 PM
Apologies for double-postage but for some reason I can't edit my previous one..

Spoke to Netcom this morning.

Bad news.

The dude got three quarters of the way through putting the generic software on and then....
The phone rejected it and died.
He's got no idea why this is and thinks it might be a Vodafone issue.
So he's sending it back again. But this time he's going to investigate the cause of the problem.. which is kinda good in a way because it'll stop this kind of thing happening again in the near future.

BUT I STILL DONT HAVE MY PHONE!

Grr..
Never mind.
At this rate - by the time I get it done - I'll have my upgrade!
Bloody thing..

All because I want MP3s as ringtones..
*SIGH*

Hey Whatleydude,

I don't know if you only wanted your phone debranded to have MP3s as ringtones. If this is the case, wouldn't it have been easier to use the Nokia Mobile Internet Toolkit to convert your MP3s so you can use them as ringtones?
Btw, this works for Sony Ericssons too.

whatleydude
26th September 2005, 10:34 AM
I think it's only the Vodafone branded ones that have experienced problems, and it's something to do with ensuring you flash with the right version of the firmware. I don't know anyone personally who has a debranded 6680 yet though, but then I don't know anyone personally who tried and failed either.

That's what the dude in the shop said too dude.

He's never experienced any problems before (or since) but he's never done a Vodafone phone before either.. so I think you could be onto something there mate.

_________

Cheers for the info Denyo. I know the one you mean. But it just irks me that Vodafone would take out something that Nokia originally put in. Why should I have to use the tool in the first place?! Do you know what I mean?

Denyo1977
26th September 2005, 07:49 PM
That's what the dude in the shop said too dude.

He's never experienced any problems before (or since) but he's never done a Vodafone phone before either.. so I think you could be onto something there mate.

_________

Cheers for the info Denyo. I know the one you mean. But it just irks me that Vodafone would take out something that Nokia originally put in. Why should I have to use the tool in the first place?! Do you know what I mean?

Yeah, know what you mean. It's a pain in the arse. At the moment I haven't got that problem as I have got the Motorola V980. But I guess sooner or later I will have it too. I couldn't a) be arsed to pay for getting it debranded and b) I would be too scared that they would kill my mobile :(

whatleydude
30th September 2005, 09:46 AM
Got my 6630 back yesterday.

I say my 6630. Its not my original one. Nokia replaced the handset!
The dude in the shop insisted it was a handset problem but it turns out - as we suspected - its a Vodafone Software problem.

So I'm stuck with it!

AAARGH!

MartY3
9th August 2006, 01:52 AM
Its very funny when people talk ******** about things, The file should only be about 2 MB at the most
2mb LOOOL add 100 to that m8 LOL, nokia data packs for all phones vary, there normally around 100mb in size, and the actually cor mcu file is around 8 - 10mb depanding on what phone...

if you need your bb5 phone flashed i will do it for a £10, i live in bristol, you can send me phone and ill send it back same day i get it, or you can bring it to me and ill flash it in front of you, while you wait, will take 5 mins

whatleydude
9th August 2006, 10:01 AM
Or you can save yourself a tenner and and do it yourself just like quite a few other members already have done...

Myself included.

MartY3
9th August 2006, 02:32 PM
yeah you sure can, by following my VERY popular tutorial on how to do at this link :p :p
http://www.symbian-freak.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5206
note: only support BB5 phones for flashing via DKU2 or CA53 cable, ie: usb via popport, if you kill your phone by mistake, i can revive it for you free of charge :D

forget the tenner bit LOL, if your too scared to do it yourself, (as there are risks involved) then i will do it for free, i have flashing equiptment, so no risks involved :D read my post above from symbian-freak, for the best tutorial on how to do it safly, but DONT ASK FOR FILES IN THAT POST OR I WILL JUST DELETE THEM, AND WE MAY JUST BAN U TOO, or anything illigal for that matter..

also goto symbian-freak forum and see all the other cool things you can with your symbian phones ;) we provide 24h professionall help and support for all members, loads of guides and tutorials on many many things.. enjoy

PS: i would also like to know why my post was edited??????????????????

Ben
9th August 2006, 05:59 PM
Hi, welcome to Talk3G :)

I sent you a private message when I edited your earlier post. If you would like to discuss the matter please reply to the private message.

To all:
I must stress that anyone attempting to modify the operating software on their phones themselves, or sending their phones to other forum members, does so entirely at their own risk.

whatleydude
9th August 2006, 06:20 PM
Well said that man..

MartY3
9th August 2006, 10:05 PM
Hi, welcome to Talk3G :)
To all:
I must stress that anyone attempting to modify the operating software on their phones themselves, or sending their phones to other forum members, does so entirely at their own risk.
i couldnt agree with you more :) in fact i wouldnt expect no one to send me there phone , especially from a forum ive just joined, but if do kill your phone by usb flashing, and live local (bristol) ill be happy for you to come round my house and watch me bring back your phone to life, free of charge ;) or email me at marty3 [at] symbian-freak [dot] com and depending on what phone it is, i could give full instructions on how to dead USB flash a bb5 phone using just the phoenix soft and your ca53 or dku2 cable, but this isnt possible for all models.. but all models can be dead flashed with 7pin fbus cable no problem at all :)

i dont do it as job, its hobby ;)

PS:
@ben (admin) sorry bro, i missed that PM. lol. but understood, and ive replied also ;)

hecatae
9th August 2006, 11:25 PM
i dont do it as job, its hobby ;)

symbian freak moderator stating just a hobby....

the word "addict" springs to mind....

welcome to the forums MartY3

MartY3
10th August 2006, 11:20 PM
the word "addict" springs to mind....
:D your not far wrong there my friend LOL