View Full Version : Shall i get a 6680 or a n70

picklegem
23rd July 2005, 11:20 AM
Hiya !!

I'm just wondering whether i should get a nokia 6680 or wait for the n70???

Whens the n70 due out??

What do you guys think???

Love n Hugs

Gem

xox

Ben
23rd July 2005, 12:40 PM
I guess the N70 will be coming 'soon', but that could be any time between now and Christmas.

The N70 looks, by all intents and purposes, to be the '6680i' - it has a 2mp camera and extra internal memory, which would greatly help the 6680! However, there's never a good time to buy a phone, so it's really up to you. If you like the 6680, buy it. If you're not really sure, then it wouldn't hurt to wait until the N70 arrives.

What are you using at the moment? Do you urgently need a new phone?

picklegem
23rd July 2005, 04:10 PM
at the mo iv gotta 6600, the only thing is my contract is due to end soon so i could either stick with what im with and get an upgrade or start again

Gem

xox

Ben
23rd July 2005, 07:26 PM
Usually it's quite a bit cheaper to change networks and reap in the 'New Customers Only' offers, but try your own networks upgrade department first, and then, if that doesn't result in a good deal, you can always try pushing for something good when you come to cancel.

Do you often have multiple applications open at once on your 6600? If so, you might want to wait for the N70 with its 30mb internal memory. The 6680 only has 10mb, but that's fine for having two applications open, and often struggles if you're trying to do a lot at once. For example, earlier I was browsing the web, on Agile Messenger, and opening an MMS - and the 6680 wasn't having any of it!

If you don't want to wait then I'm sure you'll be very happy with the 6680. Otherwise, if you're in no hurry, sit it out and see what happens - it's going to be quite a competitive Christmas!

Hypnotic
23rd July 2005, 09:06 PM
Usually it's quite a bit cheaper to change networks and reap in the 'New Customers Only' offers, but try your own networks upgrade department first, and then, if that doesn't result in a good deal, you can always try pushing for something good when you come to cancel.

Do you often have multiple applications open at once on your 6600? If so, you might want to wait for the N70 with its 30mb internal memory. The 6680 only has 10mb, but that's fine for having two applications open, and often struggles if you're trying to do a lot at once. For example, earlier I was browsing the web, on Agile Messenger, and opening an MMS - and the 6680 wasn't having any of it!

If you don't want to wait then I'm sure you'll be very happy with the 6680. Otherwise, if you're in no hurry, sit it out and see what happens - it's going to be quite a competitive Christmas!

Upgrade on this contract and then cancel it. No need to renew the contract with that network if you don't want to.

You're getting it wrong, the n70 has 30mb internal flash memory, not ram, so that has nothing to do with the amount of programs you can have open at the same time. The 6680 has 1883kb ram, which is good enough for me.

Ben
23rd July 2005, 10:01 PM
Upgrade on this contract and then cancel it. No need to renew the contract with that network if you don't want to.

You're getting it wrong, the n70 has 30mb internal flash memory, not ram, so that has nothing to do with the amount of programs you can have open at the same time. The 6680 has 1883kb ram, which is good enough for me.
I don't understand the "upgrade on this contract then cancel it" bit...

Didn't know that about the RAM being independent of the volume of internal memory... 1883kb is pitiful - some of us actually want to use our smartphones as a smartphone! :mad:

Edit: On mine, internal memory diminishes the more I have open, which is why I had assumed the two were related.

fat jez
23rd July 2005, 11:20 PM
With my 6680, I discovered by accident (don't ask me how!) that I could store all my messages on my memory card instead. About all that is on my phone now are my contacts, bookmarks and calendar entries. I try and install all new apps onto the memory card too, to try and leave as much memory free on the phone as possible.

Cheers,
Jez

Ben
23rd July 2005, 11:29 PM
Yes, I found that feature too! It means we can receive (within reason) as many messages as we like and not have to worry about keeping them too tidy. Having images and messages all going straight to the memory card seemed to help quite a bit, though I do find opening messages is a little slow sometimes. That's probably because of the 256mb card I bought though - newer ones are advertised as 'superfast'.

Still disappointed about the RAM aspect :( Symbian Series 60 seems really good - a nippier processor and a decent amount of RAM would make all the difference!

Schockwave
23rd July 2005, 11:38 PM
With my 6680, I discovered by accident (don't ask me how!) that I could store all my messages on my memory card instead. About all that is on my phone now are my contacts, bookmarks and calendar entries. I try and install all new apps onto the memory card too, to try and leave as much memory free on the phone as possible.

Cheers,
Jez

If you need a lot of memory on the phone then that is the best way to do it. I chose this phone, because I looked at the Nokia website, and decided that at present this is the best one to get, and looks to me to have the better features even with the new ones coming out over the next few months.

I was using 6600, which is a good phone, but this is much better, although there is room for improvement, and by next year, they may have an even better one, with a camera with a even more megapixels than just 2, this one having 1.3. If I want really good pictures, then I would use a camera.

I like the usb data cable, in the pasty these used to be serial port ones, great came with the phone and the headset, sound is very good, played a tune on there, the speakers are very good too, that is a bonus. Transferring things from the PC to the phone is very quick. The amazing thing is, I transferred the mp3 to the mobile and it made a ring tune as well! :) ;) The software that comes with it is very good too, much better than previous versions. I have had Nokias ever since I had a mobile phone and have always used the same provider, and that is coming up to ten years next month! :) ;)

Jon3G
23rd July 2005, 11:55 PM
Gem

I have a 6680 and would recommend to anyone who wants a feature packed phone. If you like the 6600 you will like this one.

But on another note the N70 does look impressive and its worth the wait if you are not in a rush :D

I soppose that didnt help you