View Full Version : Opera for free

Ben
28th July 2005, 01:24 PM
I'm not sure how many of you have noticed, but a friend of mine has pointed out that Opera is available for the 6680 free of charge: http://www.opera.com/products/mobile/products/

I'm not sure if this is temporary... but it's worth having a second browser on your handset if you do a lot of browsing. It has some good features... doesn't like vBulletin though!

Hands0n
28th July 2005, 04:47 PM
Warning - on another (albeit A1000) forum it has been identified that H3 are blocking access to their portal if you are using Opera. This will undoubtedly be the case if you try and access their portal with a 3-branded 6680, although that is pure speculation on my part at the moment 'cos I don't have a 6680 (grrrrrrrrrrr).

ads
2nd August 2005, 03:52 PM
Warning - on another (albeit A1000) forum it has been identified that H3 are blocking access to their portal if you are using Opera. This will undoubtedly be the case if you try and access their portal with a 3-branded 6680, although that is pure speculation on my part at the moment 'cos I don't have a 6680 (grrrrrrrrrrr).

Why would they do that?? I mean what does it really matter to them what browser you use to view their pages?! If this is true then that is awfully petty of 3...

cyberkid999
2nd August 2005, 05:55 PM
I'm not sure how many of you have noticed, but a friend of mine has pointed out that Opera is available for the 6680 free of charge: http://www.opera.com/products/mobile/products/

I'm not sure if this is temporary... but it's worth having a second browser on your handset if you do a lot of browsing. It has some good features... doesn't like vBulletin though!

have you actually tried it.... I have! its a 14 day trial

Ben
2nd August 2005, 06:11 PM
I already owned a copy before the update came out :)

MORPH
2nd August 2005, 10:24 PM
.....its a 14 day trial

You sure about that?

Opera for Nokia 6680/81/82 is a free pre-registered version.

From the Opera website. (http://www.opera.com/download/mobile/?man=Series60-2.x&heading=Nokia%206680/81/82&img=/img/products/mobile/nokia6680.png&extra=Opera%20for%20Nokia%206680/81/82%20is%20a%20free%20pre-registered%20version.)

Jon3G
3rd August 2005, 07:35 AM
its a free version

Hands0n
13th August 2005, 02:05 PM
Why would they do that?? I mean what does it really matter to them what browser you use to view their pages?! If this is true then that is awfully petty of 3...

Further to what I originally wrote - I did pick up on one of the unlocker forums that 3 were blocking Opera above a certain version! For "quality" purposes it seems... Folk with 6680s and other Symbian devices (i.e. A1000) playing around with more recent versions of Opera were being affected.

I reckon its just 3 being the usual control freak that they are .... nothing more sinister. But they are getting better at it!

dgilbert2
13th August 2005, 02:17 PM
Further to what I originally wrote - I did pick up on one of the unlocker forums that 3 were blocking Opera above a certain version! For "quality" purposes it seems... Folk with 6680s and other Symbian devices (i.e. A1000) playing around with more recent versions of Opera were being affected.

Orange also, whilst not "blocking access" do not permit full orange world functionaility. (Its like putting a Orange SIM card in a non-supported phone, all you get is basic text Orange World service)

gorilla
30th August 2005, 08:28 PM
Like so many forum members I am looking forward to the revelations that are due to unfold on Thursday with regard to three (I can hardly contain my excitement). If however the unthinkable actually happens, is there any point installing opera on my 6680? Is anyone using it on a three phone at the minute? i.e. Does it work on a three branded 6680?

Hands0n
30th August 2005, 10:44 PM
The Motorola A1000 uses an embedded version of Opera in its Symbian OS - I wonder if the 6680 has not the same browser/version. It'll work with 3 content - and, of course if/when they open up the "walled garden" it will no doubt work with regular websites - albeit badly unless they're formatted for the smaller format.

Ben
31st August 2005, 12:30 AM
To be honest, as I mentioned in my original post, I find the 6680's own browser to be extremely good for most intents and purposes. I have Opera installed so that when I come across something that doesn't work correctly with the preinstalled browser I have a second avanue to try.

Opera should install fine on the 3-branded 6680, though there's no point unless open access becomes a reality. Fingers crossed.

gorilla
31st August 2005, 08:29 AM
Cheers.

I wonder what the selected wap sites will be? I don't see the point of having to pay extra for selected sites. If they are going to go into partnership with more websites, why not just put them inside the walled garden? They had better not be ringtone sites.

Hands0n
31st August 2005, 09:57 AM
If they are "selected sites" they will be revenue generating ones rather than full blown as you like Internet sites. No access to Talk3G from your 3 mobile phone then. Which of course means that they still have not provided open access (grrrrrrrrrrr). But another 24 hours should reveal their intent ....... if the rumour mill is right ...........