View Full Version : Z500 vs 6680

Frasman77
28th July 2005, 07:40 PM
I'm new to this forum, and stumbled across it because I'm about to make the jump to 3G.

I am in a quandry and need to call upon the combined expertise reading the forum - so any helpful observations would be most welcomed.

I've been with Orange for about 5 years. I've also always been a Nokia user (apart from a few breif flirtations with sony ericsson). Near the end of my contract I did the usual trick of phoning the customer retention department and threatening to cancel my contract (last time I did that I blagged a free 7610 and 500 free texts a month) and said I wanted to upgrade to a 6680. Unfortunately that was about a month ago and I'm still being told it's out of stock (although - if you're a new customer, or prepared to pay £80, curiously, it's not...).

SOO...being unable to wait any longer I took a wander round my local vodafone store and spotted the delightful Z500 which they'll do for free on a new vodafone contract. It's a very cool phone.

I am now seriously tempted to cancel my existing Orange contract and just sign up to a new vodafone contract and get a Z500.

Can anyone offer any thoughts on how the two compare? Any obvious advantages of the 6680 over the Z500? I reckon their spec is not all that different - at least for the purposes which I intend to use the phone - mainly to enable me to get my emails on the go on my i-book running os x 10.3. I'm aware the nokia's operating system is probably a bit more sophisticated, but to be honest I am unlikely to do much in the way of customisation of the phone or software.

Should I turn my back on Orange and Nokia after a long and happy relationship? Incidentally I live in Glasgow, work in Edinburgh - so if anyone has had any particular difficulties with network coverage on either network in either city I'd be interested to hear (I wouldn't think so though).

Words of wisdom greatfully received...

Ta

Ben
28th July 2005, 07:49 PM
3GScottishUser is the person to talk to regarding the Z500 on Voda, but I can tell you straight off that the 6680 is a very very different beast. As a 7610 user you'd probably appreciate the familiar (and upgraded) OS on the 6680, especially as it should make transferring all your data and settings a breeze. Remember though that the 6680 works with DV RS-MMC's, so your old memory card probably wont work in the 6680, but your 6680 card will be backwards compatible.

I've heard about Orange's little upgrade games with the 6680, and it's a shame that you're considering leaving because of that. Perhaps it'd be worth one last phonecall before you make up your mind? Otherwise, Vodafone is a good network and you should have no problems, but I'd still recommend a Series 60 handset (the 6680, or coming-soon-to-Vodafone N70, very nice!) as that's what you're coming from.

Welcome to Talk3G!

Frasman77
29th July 2005, 12:09 PM
The decision has been made for me - a new 6680 is being delivered to my door on Monday. Orange have kept my business for another year!

Ben
29th July 2005, 02:07 PM
Great! How did you win them over in the end? Was it just the case of finding a half-decent member of staff who was prepared to resolve the issue, or were eardrums badly damaged in the process? ;)

Let us know how you get on!

3g-g
29th July 2005, 02:44 PM
Let us know if you ever experience any network difficulties Frasman77, however, Orange's UMTS network both in Glasgow and Ed are fairly robust and wide covering.

Echoing Ben's comment, welcome, we hope you stick around and keep us informed of your 3G experience.

G.

Jon3G
29th July 2005, 03:17 PM
best choice made all round. Orange is dam good network and the Nokia 6680 is superb

Welcome to Talk 3G

Frasman77
29th July 2005, 10:15 PM
Thanks for the welcome folks.

In actual fact I got a call from someone out of the blue this morning, pleasant as you like, offered to ship the phone to me by Monday. There might have been some truth to the story that they were out of stock. On the other hand, today is the year's anniversary of my contract - to the day - coincidence? I think not.

Anyway, will let you know how I get on with things...