View Full Version : Non-3G: Free SIM cards 04/04/05

Ben
4th April 2005, 12:21 PM
For a limited time only, you can get a free SIM card on the virtual Virgin network:

http://www.virginmobilefreesim.com/

Might be worth a try!

Ben

3GScottishUser
4th April 2005, 02:14 PM
Yep - there has been a power of SIM Giveaways lately. 02's £10/month on-line SIM deal seems to offer 300 free texts as well as the standard calls as long as you credit each month with £10.

This SIM giveaway practice looks set to continue and it appears the winners will be customers who can use the cheaper deals for as long as they are available then switch elsewhere (so long as they dont mind changing numbers). Ideal for kids I dare say.

miffed
4th April 2005, 02:53 PM
I think that free PAYG sims is the way is should be !

after all , what are they giving away ? the opportunity to give them money !! common sense to give your sims away I'd say

This is why I was so amazed that Hutch took such a stand against people selling Three sims on ebay ! surely they'd rather someone bought them and used them than let them rot away in a drawer somewhere

I think , give it a few years and all PAYG sims will be free by application

Ben
4th April 2005, 03:15 PM
I do agree with you, but every silver lining has a cloud.

A SIM gives someone access to the telephone network. A nominal charge for SIM cards means that people with ill intentions are, generally, prevented from purchasing them in bulk.

Free SIM cards needn't be a bad thing provided networks insist on taking full and valid registration data for each one before allowing it to become active on the network. Orange do this - but not all networks do. Threepay USIM's for example just start working.

Hands0n
4th April 2005, 09:49 PM
Yes, they do, indeed :) Which is nice :) :) Good exchange rates available on eBay - £15 in exchange for £5. Makes the Bank of England look silly by comparison :)

Seriously though (and I was being!), Free SIMS are the way to go. The kids love the O2 £10 for 300 texts + calls to the top up value. Many of my daughters peers (14 - 15 age group) went on to Threepay over Christmas/New Year, but a lot have defected back to O2 once the novelty of video and picture messaging wore off. They do love the music vids though - and that is about all that keeps my kid on Threepay!

Jon3G
5th April 2005, 09:40 PM
Finished now. I missed out

3GScottishUser
11th April 2005, 07:00 PM
The 02 300 SMS or 100 MMS for £10/month SIM offer is back on.

Here's the link: http://freesim.o2.co.uk/messages.php

Hands0n
11th April 2005, 10:24 PM
Most excellent - they'll go nicely alongside my Vodafone and (soon I hope) Virgin SIMS. Now all I need are Fresh, Easymobile, Orange and I'll have a full set :)

I must clearly be totally mad!