View Full Version : This is probably breaking all sorts of forum rules but anyway...

timothythetim
2nd August 2005, 12:31 AM
I recently "acquired" tomtom citymaps and think its pretty cool. I've got a map of glasgow which is pretty smart but as I live there I dont really need a map that much, what would be useful is edinburgh but I can't seem to find one anywhere, anyone happen to have one handy?

With this software, could I just get a GPS thing of ebay for about 50 quid and it would turn my phone into a sat nav system? That would be pretty cool.

Thanks and feel free to tell me off if i'm out of order.

3g-g
2nd August 2005, 01:10 AM
Hey timothythetim, Talk3G is firmly against the illegal use of software and the breaking of it's digital rights, however, you haven't posted any sort of file or key that would show that you have "acquired" any said software, so as it stands your post is fine.

I would suggest that if anyone wants to get in contact with you they do so through means other than the Talk3G forum, i.e. MSN, email etc.

Hope that clears things up :)

G.

timothythetim
2nd August 2005, 01:33 AM
ok, cheers

cyberkid999
2nd August 2005, 05:57 PM
I recently "acquired" tomtom citymaps and think its pretty cool. I've got a map of glasgow which is pretty smart but as I live there I dont really need a map that much, what would be useful is edinburgh but I can't seem to find one anywhere, anyone happen to have one handy?

With this software, could I just get a GPS thing of ebay for about 50 quid and it would turn my phone into a sat nav system? That would be pretty cool.

Thanks and feel free to tell me off if i'm out of order.

thats the whole idea of TomTom, sat nav on your phone.... its not new though and has been around for ages....

Jon3G
2nd August 2005, 06:59 PM
thats the whole idea of TomTom, sat nav on your phone.... its not new though and has been around for ages....

Not really sure your point with you comments

cyberkid999
2nd August 2005, 08:17 PM
Not really sure your point with you comments

I was reffering to the op comments...

"With this software, could I just get a GPS thing of ebay for about 50 quid and it would turn my phone into a sat nav system? That would be pretty cool."

which seemed like he knew about TomTom citymaps but though it would be some revolutionary thing if he could get it on his phone by just getting a BT gps unit. My comment was that it was really old hat and not at all new or cool any longer....

Ben
2nd August 2005, 08:56 PM
I guess anything is new and cool if you've not seen/used it before :)

I've never used TomTom, the thought of Satnav on a phone doesn't do a lot for me (of course, if it's already in your cars then it loses a lot of appeal!), but let us know how you get on, timothythetim, if you do go for a GPS unit.

Jon3G
2nd August 2005, 09:08 PM
let us know how you get on with finding a decent BT GPS for the 6680 and how easy it is too pair.

I used one for my XDA and it was unstable

cyberkid999
2nd August 2005, 10:18 PM
let us know how you get on with finding a decent BT GPS for the 6680 and how easy it is too pair.

I used one for my XDA and it was unstable

not sure how similar the 6680 is to the 6630 in this respect but I use a BT-77 with TomTom Mobile and it works great.
You can get the BT77 from around £50 on eBay.

You turn the gps unit on and tell the phone to search for new devices. It finds the gps, you pair it and tell it to accept connections automatically. You run TomTom and select 'other GPS' and thats it. :D

Hands0n
13th August 2005, 11:21 PM
As far as I understand, and from what I've read of other's experiences ..... if your handset has built in AGPS then Tom Tom can use that facility to "see" the GPS sattelites and thus work out your position etc. That would negate the need for using a BT GPS device.

That said - I've been using such a BT GPS device with my iPAQ PDA and Tom Tom Navigator for quite a while and it is the dogs proverbials. I am not, yet, convinced of the efficacy of using Tom Tom Mobile on the smaller mobile handset screen and would be interested in Cyberkid999's (and other's) experiences of this particular paradigm.

If I had it to do all over again woud I choose Tom Tom Mobile? Given my propensity to change handsets frequently (at least annually) I am not entirely sure.

stuartturrell
18th August 2005, 05:49 PM
I have used tomtom on a PDA and now on my 6680, and even tho the screen is obviously a lot smaller than a PDA, (IPAQ 4150), i found the 6680 better.

I think this is mainly becuase of the different versions. THe 6680 version of the most recent, and i used version 4.40 or something on the PDA.

I use a bluetooth GPS unit with the 6680, but used a wired version on the PDA, both gave great results. Bluetooth obviously being better cause of the bluddy cables always getting in the way or annoying, but ensure you get one you can have a spare battery and/or one you can charge in the car as battery life isn't too great.

Stuart