View Full Version : Virgin Mobile soft launches 3G

3GScottishUser
4th August 2005, 01:43 PM
Frm NMA Website (04/08/2005):

Virgin Mobile has quietly launched its 3G service, getting its subscribers familiar with the faster mobile data service before its full commercial launch later this year.

The operator has so far unveiled the service in major UK cities and is gradually expanding its coverage.

Although Virgin Mobile is not actively promoting the service, it has begun to add information to its Web site, including a postcode checker to enable customers to determine if they can receive a 3G service.

Virgin Mobile subscribers in areas covered by its 3G service can now access the operator's mobile content service Bites and the wider mobile Internet at 3G speeds. Mobile content, such as games and ringtones, can now be downloaded at 3G data speeds.

At present, the operator is not charging any additional fees for using the 3G network. Accessing data is charged at the normal GPRS rate. No 3G-specific mobile content or services have yet been launched.

The operator, which is currently firming up plans for a launch believed to be before Christmas, refused to discuss the soft-launch of its 3G service.
In a statement, Virgin Mobile head of value-added services Nick White said, "At Virgin Mobile we're conscious that consumers see some of the 3G services on offer as peripheral at the moment and it will take time for them to develop. We will introduce phones with 3G capability throughout 2005 and we're looking at launching 3G services later in the year."

http://www.nma.co.uk/Document.aspx?did=68876447-204e-45ad-b990-23a800fce667

solo12002
7th August 2005, 11:01 AM
I use Virgin myself in NI as all of the family are on it. I was glad to hear that Virgin £g is now up and running even partly, so I sent an E Mail of sking for the settings, heres the reply in case anyone was looking the same information:

Thanks for your email asking us if we're offering 3G.

We're pleased to say that 3G is available to all customers who have a 3G compatible phone.

To see if your phone is compatible, take a look at your manufacturer guide. Remember too, you'll only enjoy the benefit of the 3G network in areas of 3G coverage. To find out if 3G coverage is available where you are, check here www.virginmobile.com/mobile/services/at_home/index.jsp. The good news is that the 3G network is improving all the time.

With your 3G phone, you'll be able to view Virgin Mobile Bites, get downloads and send pictures even faster. And when you do, it'll cost the same as an “Enhanced WAP” call.

You don't need the specific settings for 3G, as long as you've got the settings for the GPRS service stored in your phone then you should be able to use this service.

If you have any further questions, or if there's anything else we can help you with, just give us a call on 789 from your Virgin Mobile phone or on 0845 6000 789 from a fixed line phone and we'll be happy to help. Calls to the team on 0845 6000 789 will be charged at local rate. Calls to 789 cost just 10p, no matter how long you talk for.

We want to make sure that you always get the best customer service possible whenever you contact us - and your feedback helps! If you'd like to give us some feedback on the service you've received from us today, we'd be happy to hear from you. Just click on the link below and fill in our online questionnaire. You may like to have your original email available to read whilst filling out this survey. We promise to use your answers to make our service the best it can be.

http://FreeOnlineSurveys.com/rendersurvey.asp?id=107058

Kind regards,

Paul Baldock
Virgin Mobile

For any additional information, please visit our online help centre

Ben
7th August 2005, 05:54 PM
Tried my Virgin SIM in my Z1010 but unfortunately there's no T-Mobile 3G around here so, though I tried, I couldn't get a sniff of signal. Anyway, it's great to see the first virtual in the UK operating a 3G service.

dgilbert2
19th August 2005, 03:30 PM
I take it you do not need to ask Virgin for a USIM card then?

Again I find myself not understanding the difference between the SIM and USIM cards?

3g-g
19th August 2005, 04:02 PM
Again I find myself not understanding the difference between the SIM and USIM cards?

The only difference is the ability to access some of the operators UMTS networks.

Orange and Three I believe use the new USIM, I think it works at a different voltage and has a higher capapcity compared with the traditional GSM SIM. I think Voda and O2 are able to provision their existing SIMs to access 3G services, I can only presume it's down to the choice of network AUC.

Either way, if you move to a 3G network that requires a USIM the operator will inform you, if I remember correctly there was a post on here a while ago with a chap who was able to use "T-Mob/Virgin's" 3G network to make calls without needing to do anything, he just had a handset that was compatible.

I wonder what Virgin are planning to do once their 3G service is available to all... will they turn up with some sort of super cheap data package? Here's hoping!!

dgilbert2
19th August 2005, 05:10 PM
thanks 3g-g for the info. That makes sense now and also explains why my dual SIM adapter stopped working!

I'll have to dust of my Virgin SIM card and hunt for a singnal :)