View Full Version : 02 XDA Exec 3G Smartphone/PDA

3GScottishUser
5th August 2005, 12:29 PM
From Total Mobile (05/08/2005):

O2 is set to introduce the most powerful Windows Mobile Xda device yet – the Xda Exec – which supercharges the handheld series with a proper fold out Qwerty keyboard, Wi-Fi, and high speed 3G connectivity built in.

The Xda Exec, which is due to go on sale at the beginning of October, is the most heavily featured smartphone device yet released, the first to support 3G, and coming equipped with the latest version of the Microsoft mobile operating system, Windows Mobile 5.0. It has an Intel PXA270 520MHz processor, 128MB ROM and 64MB RAM, plus MMC/SD Card memory expansion (supporting SDIO).

The device is the latest of O2’s Xda series developed by Taiwan-based HTC, and is expected to be released under a different guise by other network operators in the coming months – T-Mobile has pencilled it in as the MDA IV.

The O2 Xda Exec comes in a cool matt black casing, and features the usual large 3.6inch Xda-style touchscreen, which folds up to reveal a large 62-key Qwerty keypad – like a mini laptop. The screen can also be swivelled and folded around so it can be used without the keyboard in traditional PDA style.

Video calling is facilitated by using twin cameras on the device – one next to the screen and a 1.3 megapixel camera (with flash) on the back of the phone. Full multimedia downloading, streaming, and digital audio playback is in the spec, with Windows Media Player 10 onboard. Users can get high-speed access to the full internet – via 3G or Wi-Fi – using the Exec’s Internet Explorer software, while comprehensive email and organiser functionality is included, along with ActiveSync 4.0for PC data synchronisation.

Pocket MSN, Pocket Word and Excel are part of the Window Mobile package, and users can view and edit documents sent to them as attachments and send them back ready formatted.

It comes with stereo headphones and a 3.5mm jack connector and a USB charging cable and case as standard. Bluetooth 1.2 is built in too for wireless connectivity.

The Xda Exec weighs in at 285g including the removable battery.

http://www.what-cellphone.com/cgi-bin/displaynews.php?id=8277

timothythetim
5th August 2005, 02:41 PM
That looks pretty cool. I like the look of the WLAN.
How hard would it have been to give the 6680 WLAN?

3g-g
5th August 2005, 04:21 PM
Nealry 300g.. that's not far off half a kilo! that's a big boy!

However, I like how handheld devices are slowly turning to the types of network (UMTS ones) that can show their functions to their true potential. Bout bleeding time!

I use my SPV M1000 every day, having one of these would truely take me out of the office for good... all my applications and video conferencing if needed. Superb.