View Full Version : Your Dream Mobile

Ben
4th April 2005, 02:28 PM
Putting aside for a moment the current state of 3G, what are your dream features for the little device you keep in your pocket?

Taking as a given calling features, SMS, MMS, picture taking and video calling, what else does a mobile need?

I'm only submitting six options as that's our limit (for now) - but please comment after voting with the features you'd most value. You can vote for as many of the six options I've suggested as you like.

Edit: My dream phone would have them all! I tried to prioritise, but at the end of the day I want a gadget that can do it all :D

miffed
4th April 2005, 03:19 PM
hmmm this isn't getting us very far is it ? :D

I just want every Phone feature known to man (lol ! only joking )

I think the benchmark for me , will be that it does everything that my computer does ! (tall order , I know ! ) , but I feel we are getting there

I feel I am almost there with my XDAII - But it'd be great to be able to go away and forget the laptop

One thing that really caught my eye , was the photo printing stations in Tesco's etc - where you can just pop out your SD card and print out photo's on the spot (very simple , but it got me thinking ) - it isn't too much of a stretch of the imagination to drop the cards and link via BT / wi-fi .... so then , if we are going to do that , why not have communial printers in supermarkets, cafes , shopping centres , petrol stations etc , or definately anywhere that has wi-fi hotspot ?
Imagine that ? you need a document from home while you are out , so you pull out your phone - access your PC via the 3G network , find the document , edit it on your phone , pull into a service station ,print it out on the communial printer via BT & go on your way

Thats what my dream phone would do for me , and it is all pretty much do-able now , hell , i was doing pretty much that on my 9210i 3 years ago (allbeit through fax machines !)

It frustrates me sometimes that technology moves so fast but is never apllied effectively IMO

Ben
4th April 2005, 03:28 PM
At least I'm not alone with my gadget demands!

I suspect, however, that all these options will not appeal to some users. Some may just want a mobile that's also a remarkably good music player, or a mobile that can have a telnet client installed so they can remotely administer their network.

I agree completely about technology never being applied effectively. What frustrates me is the way new technology seems to ebb out incrementally in order to maximise return on investment. I guess that's just the way it has to be!

3g-g
15th April 2005, 02:53 PM
I'd love my mobile to do all of the above also, but I think we're probably in the minority. The public really struggle with technology in general, this fast moving environment is too much for some folk IMO. Take for example my parents, my Dad doesn't want his phone to do anything other than make a call, or maybe receive a text message, and I mean just receive, he doesn't want to write back, he'd much rather you'd just called in the first place anyway.

Although the technology is in place for everything you want now, as there's such little demand for it nobody wants to spend the money getting it out in the public domain. The little Kodak booths for printing from your SD/MMC/flash cards are a great idea, but they were introduced for people with proper digital cameras who'd stoped coming to have film developed, it's only by a bit of chance I think mobile phone munufacturers have noticed this and have decided to add expandable memory slots to the newer phones.

It'll be a slow process, I think the operators have begun to see that they can't market phones as new fantastic (complicated) bits of kit and they've started to show what you can use it for rather than what it can do. If all the "technology companies", and I know that's a big umbrella to put everyone under di the same we might see all the toys we want now getting here quicker.

TheBrit
16th April 2005, 12:11 AM
All of the above ;)

Jon3G
16th April 2005, 09:54 AM
Run real apps like my XDA2i

miffed
16th April 2005, 07:50 PM
Thought I really should share the details of a dream I had last night (Don't worry ! I'll stick to the relevant "Angelina Jolie" free parts ;) )

I feel I should mention that I have been considering buying one of those itech Virtual keyboards , but so far the BT ones seem a bit scarce , but I digress ...

I dreamt I was using a device (at school of all places ) which was basically one of these Itech virtual keyboards which also projected a monitor sized image on the desk in front of me

It impressed the hell out of me ! and when woke up I was gutted that such a beast doesnt already exist ! especially as this is within the realms of possibility - allbeit a little batter hungry & a few cooling issues

Come on someone ! invent it !!!!!