View Full Version : Orange Video Eyewear

3g-g
8th August 2005, 12:49 AM
Now this does look extremely cool!! Not entirely practicle, however.

More for making use of the Orange World services, I could see this going down a storm with use on Orange's 3G network. If the continual development goes into the content, for example, OTV, movie trialers, music video and sports, what did seem like a waste viewing on a tiny little screen would take on a whole new level of enjoyment. Being able to sit in the park and watch BBC on what would be the equivalent of your PC monitor would be amazing. Instead of just having your MP3s on your memory card, you could have the video also... or even encoded films onto your card for viewing on a long train journey, I could let my imagination run wild!

What do you think? What applications would you like to see? Would you even make use of such a thing? Could you take the ribbing from your friends for pretending to be the blind guy from Star Trek?

Orange SA, France Telecom's wireless unit, has announced that it will begin bundling video eye wear from US based MicroOptical with the Samsung D600 starting in October as part of their ‘Orange World’ wireless multimedia service.

The eye wear enables wearers to view pictures or videos in a way that is comparable to watching a 12" monitor from three feet away. The design also allows the wearer to simultaneously view their surroundings due to the small size of the frame and MicroOptic's patented optics - which allow the wearer to look around the screen.
Click Here!

The device is based on Kopin Corporation's CyberDisplay 230K micro display. Two 0.24" , QVGA resolution displays are held in the frame. The displays operate at standard video speeds, include a composite video input (NTSC or PAL), and consume only five milliwatts of power - allowing five hours of video with three AAA batteries. The entire device weighs only 2.5oz.

Read the original here. (http://www.mobileburn.com/news.jsp?Id=1499&source=SIDEBARHOME)

Ben
8th August 2005, 02:58 AM
LMAO... urm... looks like something off an E4 advert - where they walk around with cones on their heads.

Perhaps I'm being critical to the point of insensitivity, but no. NO. Just no. The only time I'd ever use these are at home, and quite frankly if I'm at home I might as well use the real TV/PC. Still, bundling this free is the right way to go, and I'd certainly like to try one.

Schockwave
15th August 2005, 03:32 AM
Could be very practical, especially if you can see the screen better when outside, then I may consider it, yes, also if taking pictures or filming! You have got to laugh though, wonder what the public would think if you had one of those on whilest trying to take a picture with your mobile phone or film, for that matter!