View Full Version : Which network has the best stores?

Ben
8th August 2005, 09:46 PM
From your own experience, what network operates the best stores? I'm just talking your full on Orange, T-Mobile, Vodafone, O2 and Three (inc superdrug) stores here.

Feel free to add comments about why you voted as you did.

My vote goes to Vodafone (Canterbury). They're always friendly, the store is well layed out, and they're more than happy to play with the handsets with you. I always feel comfortable in there and, wait for it, they even sometimes approach you to see if you need any help! ;) Note that I've been in less friendly Voda stores too...

3g-g
9th August 2005, 01:01 AM
ooo ooo ooo.. tough one. It's a choice between Orange and Voda, however, I'm going to say Orange.

At anytime I've ever had to deal with the "shop" at various locations over the country I have to say Orange have been the most consistant, however this could be viewed as slighty unfair as I've not had to deal with Voda on any regular basis, so I'll add this to my choice.

Orange have had an image for years, partly to do with their brand, that has always been more appealing. This has always been reflected in their retail outlets. I'm pretty sure all the other operators have strived to mimic the type of "face" Orange has had, most with little success bar Voda, who only now have managed to give their brand the kudos. Recently I felt Voda's branding and marketing may have been ahead of Orange, and possibly a few months ago it was. Recently though, Orange have begun to pull it back, which they seem to have done with relative ease over the other operators.

Voda recently opened an amazing store in Buchanan Street in Glasgow, right in amongst Hugo Boss, Puma et al, it looks great, and it did draw me in for a look, however Orange's store a few doors up still seems more friendly and inviting!

MORPH
9th August 2005, 08:10 AM
If you have kids, then Orange, because the fish keep them entertained while you shop!

Ben
9th August 2005, 11:41 AM
Oh my, you have fish in your local Orange?! All the local phone stores here are very basic... :(

davidlove
9th August 2005, 09:17 PM
Well, I may be going where angels fear to tread here, but I liken the operators' stores to high street banks. That is, I wonder whether they make any financial sense, or serve much practical purpose other than to keep their brand in front of the public.

Last time I was thinking of upgrading - or even jumping ship (I'm one of the early Voda 33p/min inside M25 pioneers) - I trawled round the obvious three contenders. Forget the "other" 3, who'd buy a 3G handset from an operator who won't let you out of the walled garden?

I'm just Joe Public here. I don't work in the mobile telecoms business, though I do work in IT and, like most posters here, use the net as the first port of call for tech info.

I have to say, the overall experience was dismal, the level of product knowledge truly dreadful. "Nokia 6680, must say I haven't heard of that one". "Well, it was launched two months ago". "Well we're the last to hear of new stuff". Very reassuring. And those same £5/hr youngsters couldn't tell me if I needed a new SIM for 3G. Who trains these people for God's sake?

So my vote went to Voda, just because at least they offered a new SIM when they heard that I was having flaky reception (it made no difference).

I for one will continue to rely on places like Talk 3G for the real deal. So keep it coming!

miffed
9th August 2005, 09:37 PM
Oh my, you have fish in your local Orange?! All the local phone stores here are very basic... :(

Have you seen the T-mobile store in Canterbury lately ? they offer an interesting range of "chav" clothing now ! you can hardly call that basic :)

Ben
9th August 2005, 09:59 PM
There's a T-Mobile store? :D I'll check that one out... perhaps the guise of chav clothing has hidden it from my view until now. Either that or the fact that T-Mobile ranks so low on my list of 'desirable' networks just means I've blanked it entirely. My criticism is unfounded though - I'll have to pop in and put them through their paces.

miffed
10th August 2005, 11:48 AM
Well not any more , There was one for a long while just along from Holland & Barrett , but it is now a chav Clothes shop (still marked up as "T-mobile" though :) )
That's not to say there isn't a T-mobile shop in Canterbury now , it's probably just the latest round of "musical shops" in the aforementioned town - it'll probably pop up around the new bit soon

I like the o2 shop personally - it's like one of those spooky backstreet black magic shops you see on films

3GsINgH
10th August 2005, 07:16 PM
Shouldnt there be a none of the above vote.....from my experience all network shops are rubbish and over priced. The "advise" they give you is appauling and is often wrong and after sales support is bad; stick to independant retailers like cpw-good prices and good after sales care.....although thats just my point of view

Ben
10th August 2005, 07:50 PM
And a very valid point it is too!

Still, this is a poll just to see which of the networks own chains of stores you'd rank best. There must be one you prefer?

3GsINgH
10th August 2005, 09:23 PM
well out of all of them the o2 shop looks well designed and i like the blue bubbles so ill vote for them :D

3GScottishUser
11th August 2005, 01:04 AM
Oh yes the blue bubbles..... I forgot about them. They are cute really. Can I get another vote?

Hands0n
13th August 2005, 11:06 PM
I voted Vodafone even though I do not currently bank :) with them.

My past experience of mobile phone op shops has been chequered, and I particularly dislike the Orange store in Canary Wharf - it has gone all "cuddly" now with the removal of the counter, but it also looks like an extension of a local coffee bar. Pardon me for being picky, but if I want coffee with a pal I'll nip on down my local St*rbucks or suchlike.

No, even though I'm on Orange and 3, I still think that Vodafone tops the lot in terms of a network-specific storefront. They have a great selection to play around with, folk who will spend time with you and so far have not called me "mate". Also who seem to actually know what they are on about, generally.

whatleydude
19th August 2005, 10:54 AM
I've gone with Vodafone.. although Orange would be my second choice.

The Vodafone in Kensington High St is always helpful and I've never had a problem with them.. plus - the Southend store charged my phone for me the other day and didnt even ask what network I was on or anything.. which is alright in my book.

2nd choice Orange.. I had to go into the Romford store to make an insurance claim for a mate the other day (LONG STORY) and I thought the level of service I received was superb.. but then again - it might've been down to the girl who served me who was flirting outrageously!

lol

Hands0n
19th August 2005, 11:23 AM
Aaaaaahhhh .............. Essex Girls .............. you just can't beat them (well, you're not supposed to anyway lol) :)

Schockwave
20th August 2005, 12:30 AM
Well, I used to go to the independant shops, but not anymore when I want a new phone. I always go to the Orange shop. When you upgrade and are on contract, it is still the cheapest way and my preferred choice now, have found them helpful, and they will take the time if you need it.

Of course, it depends who you speak to, as some staff are better than others. Rang my local shop up on Sunday, and the person I spoke to was very friendly and helpful when I wanted some help.

Rang Orange customer service today and they were very helpful too, new products coming out in September, very good if you have been a long term customer, as you will get a discount on your monthly line rental, and pay as you go GPRS for people on a service plan the price is coming down!!!! :) ;)

Ben
20th August 2005, 01:47 AM
and pay as you go GPRS for people on a service plan the price is coming down!!!! :) ;)
About bloomin' time! Fingers crossed for that one, it's about time data became affordable without having to commit to a minimum usage.

Schockwave
20th August 2005, 12:49 PM
1MB for £2.-, pay as you go GPRS for customers on contract with Orange, we shall just have to wait and see what else is out there. The prices have to come down, otherwise a lot of people will not want to use the service due to high costs, in my opinion! It was £3.- for 1MB, and £4,- for 4MB on pay monthly! It will be interesting to see what it will cost if you go over 1MB, look forward to seeing that and hope the prices come down even more, it is expensive enough.

Hands0n
20th August 2005, 03:13 PM
It is my opinion that the mobile ops have to make their minds up whether they want to open up to the huge world of mass market Data-centric applications or keep GPRS for the exclusivity it has become associated with. I am bemused that they have not actively encouraged Data usage to date - imagine if they could get the kids on MSN over GPRS for just one example.

I am very encouraged by Orange's GPRS price reduction ....... but they need to go further, much further.

Schockwave
20th August 2005, 03:28 PM
I agree with you there, HandsOn!

I see, Orange and Vodafone are equal at the moment in the pols with all the others lagging behind T-mobile no vote and 02 and 3 with one vote!!!! :D