View Full Version : First impressions of the nokia 6680.....love it!

chaslam
9th August 2005, 11:04 PM
Well just got my 6680 today and I have been fidling with it all night.
I was tempted when I went into a three point and I had a look. I have been looking for a while for one.

I own a Motorola A1000 (as you probably know) and I love it (a1000) but I thought it was time for a change, as I have had the A925 and the A1000 (both basically identicle) for a year and a half, so I really needed somthing new.

Well my very first impressions of it is average. Looks a bit plasticy, but its ok. Got it home and started playing on it. Its great! By far the most reliable 3 phone Ive had so far, even though I have only had it a few hours! You can just tell when you are using it.

I have been using it all night, transferring things with bluetooth, taking lots of pictures ect as you do. The flash is, well I cant explain it! Its like a real digital camera flash and its so bright. I took a picture with it and the person I was taking acually flinched as it was so bright! Its not like a little light what comes on when you take a picture, its acually a full blown flash!

Ok so looking at now and the Battery is still full!! The battery is so small but so powerful! I have been usoing the bluetooth loads, taking ALOT of pictures ect on my A1000 it would have been down to nearly 1 bar now!

When I have used it a bit more, I will write a bit more and keep on adding to this.

gorilla
10th August 2005, 09:14 AM
I know what you mean. Having had this phone for nearly 3 months now and on 3 as well I have not had one problem and have had no real cause of concern. I was worried when I started the contract with 3 but I shouldn't have worried. I just love the fact that you can add so many applications to the phone. I haven't used my mp3 player since.

Ben
10th August 2005, 11:03 AM
I've had mine for some time now, and I'd still heavily recommend it. I can appreciate the first impressions on the looks side, a lot of people I've spoke to don't look at it and cry "Oh my days, get me some of that sexy handset", but at the same time it has a gentle acceptability and is easy on the eyes (compared to its vulgar Motorola competitors).

The battery life of the BL-5C is acceptable, more than so if bluetooth is disabled and the handset switched off at night, and should easily give two to three days of moderate use, or a full day of heavy use (ie persistent data connections). At the end of the day this is a long tried and tested Nokia Li-Ion battery, but if they try and use it to power the impending NSeries then there may well be tears before dawn.

I do think you need data access to appreciate the full potential of this handset. There are a wealth of applications out there for Series 60 that need connectivity, even including FSecure! However, a phone of this callibre will undoubtedly let you enjoy Three UK to the fullest, and the availability of Series 60 applications that allow you manual control over modes mean even those of us in less than perfect coverage situations should still be able to enjoy cheap calls.

Thanks for the review, keep us updated!

chaslam
10th August 2005, 10:31 PM
Right second day Ive had it. Ive installed nokia sensor and a few other this. REALLY impressed with the camera and video recording and editing.

I think what makes this phone better is the layout. What I hated (and still hate) about nokias is the same layout on each phone. You get a new phone, but acually its just like having your old one in a new case and slightly upgraded!

One thing I do miss is the volume keys on the side. Can somone tell me how to turn the volume up and when in a call?

One thing I have noticed is that when making calls, there is a high pitch noise in the background and the phone gets very hot after about 5 minutes (but I suppose thats just normal for a phone the heat). Does anyone else have this? It didnt do it on my A1000?

Also anyone recommed any freeware (nothing for web browsing as I am on three)?

Thanks

Ben
11th August 2005, 12:37 AM
Changing call volume: In a call move the centre key left for down and right for up. There's a volume bar displayed near the battery metre so you can see the current level.

No high pitched noises on mine... after any call duration. Warming while in use is marginal to be honest, so I'd keep an eye on both of those aspects.

chaslam
12th August 2005, 12:01 AM
Thanks for the reply guys. Well went out this evening with my nokia 6680. SO IMPRESSED! Its in the night it really shines! The pictures I took are crystal clear with the flash, and I gave everyone migranes as it was flashing so much! Everyone was saying how good the flash was and the quality in the night and for once, no one said "omg look at that brick!"

The screen works the best at night by far, really showing the vivid 262K screen. Also the negative mode on the phone is pretty good. People were VERY impressed with it.

I will try to keep this up to date for about a week, posting about it as I get used to it and discover new things.

One thing though, can somone tell me how to put the phone to "withold number?"

Ben
12th August 2005, 01:00 AM
Sure! Menu > Tools > Settings > Call Settings > Send My Caller ID > No

Keep on loving it!