View Full Version : Will Europe fall in love with Qualcomm, now it owns Flarion 4G technology?

Ben
11th August 2005, 07:21 PM
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/08/11/qualcomm_flarion/

Click for the full article, but this bit caught my eye:

Their problem was how to move into the internet. The next generation of cellphones was expected to be WCDMA, also Qualcomm-owned... but politics accidentally sabotaged the technology, by picking the 2.1 GHz frequency spectrum for 3G phones.

That technology, at 450 MHz, works very well indeed. As every technologist involved in setting the WCDMA standards for Europe warned, at 2.1 GHz, this isn't true. It works; it just doesn't work at all well inside buildings, and the economics of WCDMA 3G are consequently looking dodgy.
So... is 2.1GHz 3G, ie what we're using, doomed? Imagine the coverage quality 450MHz could offer! Currently doing as much as moving my handset a few inches can cause it to lose 3G signal while I'm indoors.

3GScottishUser
11th August 2005, 07:36 PM
Indeed 2.1GHz is very fussy especially indoors. I think those networks that have both GSM + UMTS will hedge their bets and will capitalise on the reliability of the GSM networks for as long as they can for basic services. That I suspect will suit the established players as they have a big advantage which any of us who have had experience of the 3G only player (3 UK) will know all about.

Ben
11th August 2005, 08:13 PM
I'd forgotten about Three - reading that article could leave you to believe their entire primary network is based around a 'sabotaged' standard.