View Full Version : Agile Messenger charges begin

Ben
14th August 2005, 12:02 AM
As has been rumoured for a significant amount of time, Agile began charging for Agile Messenger not too long ago.

http://www.agilemobile.com/

http://www.agilemobile.com/pay/

You can pay a sterling amount, I think it was about £2, every month by premium rate SMS, or pay a one-off fee of €19.95 online by credit card. I have opted for the latter approach as that way more funds are guaranteed to reach Agile and it'll probably cost me less in the long run. Regrettably a hefty chunk of the revenue from premium rate SMS messages goes to the varios players in the chain, so it's worth avoiding if only by principal.

I don't mind this charge and think it's quite reasonable for the service Agile provide (inlcuding their implementation of push to talk) but I will be expecting the quality of service to improve as a result.

Will you continue to use Agile Messenger? What do you think of the charges being imposed?

MORPH
14th August 2005, 08:18 AM
Does this charge apply to versions already installed? Or is it only for all future releases?

*Edit* Just answered my own question, when you start the app, it tells you must upgrade before you can continue to use it :(

miffed
14th August 2005, 09:31 AM
oh dear : (

Thats another nail in the coffin of my old 9500 :(

Biohead12
14th August 2005, 09:58 AM
I suppose this was a long time coming really.
When I had my 9500 it was invaluable, but it wasn't enough for me to pay for it really. I guess I won't be getting it for my A1000 now.
At least the real MSN comes on me XDA as standard, for free.

solo12002
14th August 2005, 11:33 AM
Ive used it on my PDA and its not a bad service.

Its €20 euro so its not to dear for a one of charge?

miffed
14th August 2005, 01:10 PM
Ive used it on my PDA and its not a bad service.

Its €20 euro so its not to dear for a one of charge?

Thinking about it , no , it is pretty reasonable :) having used Agile I would be happy to pay this amount , although I am not sure I would have been so happy to pay before I had tried it - I did try to use it on my A1000 & a925 via o2 and never had any joy (although I think that had more to do with the proxy than anything !) so I suppose if i had payed for it and never got it to work in those days I'd have been a little annoyed
but on the whole , it is definatley a good , solid app and well worth the money

surely it'll only be a matter of time before manufacturers start bundling an IM client with s60 phones though ? all proper , sorry ;) , Windows mobile / pocket pc devices come with MSN after all

Ben
14th August 2005, 01:19 PM
I should add that you can use the software for seven days on any device before you need to pay, so at least users can still assess it for themselves.

S60 phones already have an IM client, but unfortunately MSN et al have their own ways of doing things. Agile also has the advantage of connecting you to four IM networks simultaneously, and the PTT functionality - which is a nice extra.

Schockwave
15th August 2005, 04:20 AM
There is another one, made by a German company, but that is more expensive than Agile Messenger, called IM+, the difference being that it lets you know when someone comes on and goes off line, I have tried both, and the icons are the ones used for the individual icons, such as ICQ is the flower and Yahoo the face, making it more recognizable, but otherwise I think I prefer Agile Messenger. I have sent two suggestions to Agile Messenger and hope that these will be included in the next version, who knows though.

whatleydude
19th August 2005, 01:05 AM
What about if you change phones and want to take your agile with you?
Will they provide that or will you have to fork out again?
..oh yeah - and that IM facility in the S60 phones. How does THAT work?!

I've never been able to find anything online that tells you how to set it up..

Ah well.. I'm off to pay my Agile bill.. I use it A LOT.
£19.95 is worth it.

Ben
19th August 2005, 02:28 AM
That's €19.95... more like £13.50.

I'd image in the licence is per-device, meaning you'd have to purchase again if/when you change phones. Still, I'm not sure, it'd be worth asking them.

The IM facility on S60 phones only works with compatible IM services. I'd imagine various corporate IM systems would be compatible, but it certainly isn't for consumer services like MSN, AIM, ICQ or Yahoo. Shame :(

whatleydude
19th August 2005, 07:24 AM
Yeah man - definite shame..

Sorry about that - I dunno how you work the Euro Key on this keyboard!
lol..

But yeah I'm all paid up now - it looks like that the 'customer code' you are given is per SIM. So fingers crossed I'll be ok - just as long as I don't change my SIM card when I change my phone - which is easily done I guess.

Schockwave
19th August 2005, 05:46 PM
I think that if you change your mobile, certainly within the year, if not beyond, you write to them and let them know and the new IMEI and you should be ok. It certainly would be worth a try, that seems to be the case with a lot of the software, especially where it is a year's subscription.

dgilbert2
20th August 2005, 09:38 AM
Well for me, yes I used Agilemessenger, very occassionaly to save on texts when I could see the person online.

Even at only just over £10 I've voted to stay with texts and uninstalled it now.

If I DID use it more I would have been happy to pay the one off fee.

Schockwave
20th August 2005, 03:23 PM
Just read this in the Agile Messenger forum. This was an answer from Agile Admin to a question someone had in the Nokia 80 series, which would apply to everyone, I presume, which is what I thought, that you should be able to transfer to your new sim card:

The license is tied to your SIM card so if you move your SIM card to a new phone or if you reinstall Agile Messenger your license will still work, even if you change to a new phone model.

If you get a new SIM card you can transfer your license to the new SIM card.

All updates for Agile Messenger 3.xx will be free. There may be an upgrade fee when Agile Messenger 4 comes out but this will not happen in the near future.

I think this is great news, and am pleased that I have just purchased my license, rather than pay monthly for it, much the cheaper way to go!!!! :) ;)

whatleydude
21st August 2005, 11:50 PM
And.. also - hopefully with the revenue raised they can put much more effort into making it bigger and better..