View Full Version : Internet on three

apoc_reg
15th August 2005, 02:34 PM
I have just got 2 6680s one with 3 & one with orange. i will send one back this week when i choose which to keep

i must say based on tariff, 3G & my 3 (which shows you the amount of minutes, interative content etc left for the month you have.....a real good feature) 3 is winning

One question i have found somewhere that will flash my 6680 witht he latest firmware but will this allow my to use the phone as a modem???
as i cant seem to access other internet areas on the 3 6680 but can on the orange phone

thanks guys i really appreciate it

Ben
15th August 2005, 02:37 PM
Hi,

I regret to inform you that there is no open internet access on Three UK. You cannot use a handset connected to the Three UK network as a modem regardless of the firmware it is running.

I also use a 6680 on the Orange network and have enjoyed many hours of laptop use, at 2G and 3G speeds, finding it gives me the best performance of any handset I've used for this purpose to date. Battery life does take a hit though!

Good luck with your decision, and welcome to Talk3G!

apoc_reg
15th August 2005, 02:48 PM
Hi Ben

Thanks for the speedy response.

That is what i thought... its not a big deal as i have broadband at home and at work its just nice to have all the features!

Could i ask you a couple of other questions if you dont mind

Are there any other big 'hidden' disadvantages to three that i might not have come accross is the couple of days ive had the phone

Are there any disadvantages to updating the firmware?

Thanks for your help, and cheers for the welcome

Ben
15th August 2005, 04:15 PM
There are three key elements that, as a Three customer, you should be aware of. Note also, though, that you get what you pay for, and these 'shortfalls' (as I believe them to be) are accounted for in the reduced charges you will be paying.

1) No open Internet access, as I have explained, meaning you are as-good-as forced into using Three's premium content area if you need information or entertainment while on the move.
2) No 3G-2G handover. On Three, if 3G signal runs out then your call or data session will be dropped. On any other UK 3G network, if 3G signal runs out you will be seamlessly transferred to the 2G network. Video calls always drop when 3G coverage runs out, regardless of the network.
3) Indian-based frontline support. For many this will not be a problem, either because they do not encounter serious handset or service problems or because they are gifted in listening, speaking and international culture. However, it is fair for me to say that Three's Indian-based customer services operation is one of the poorest outsourced solutions ever devised. Orange, on the other hand, have '350' - your dedicated UK-based 3G support line.

Updating your firmware will erase all data on the phone, and may introduce other bugs and issues that you were previously unaffected by. The golden rule, then, is 'if it aint broke, don't fix it' ;)

apoc_reg
16th August 2005, 09:34 AM
Thanks thats very useful information

I must admit to having had a couple of calls cut off in the last day or so with my 3 handset

Oranges online services do seem to be a bit over the top though having to pay for just browsing (not to mention the orange TV) but i think given what ive read i should stick with orange.

As far as the firmware goes i consider oranges screen at the begining (which stretches any background picture etc) to be broke... so i will fix it :)

Thanks again

3GScottishUser
16th August 2005, 10:13 AM
I must admit to having had a couple of calls cut off in the last day or so with my 3 handset

Oh Dear....

Sounds familiar. Don't accept any assurance from 3CS that this will improve, you really have to make a judgement on your present experience and forget about 'jam tomorrow' from offshore CSA's who know nothing about the 3 UK network.

26 months on I will be terminating with 3 because of the 'call dropping' in my home area.

Ben
16th August 2005, 11:00 AM
Oranges online services do seem to be a bit over the top though having to pay for just browsing (not to mention the orange TV) but i think given what ive read i should stick with orange.

As far as the firmware goes i consider oranges screen at the begining (which stretches any background picture etc) to be broke... so i will fix it :)
As you get 1GB of data for free for 3 months, Orange TV is effectively free for 3 months. After that it costs £10 per month, and that includes 1GB of data (20 hours viewing) dedicated to OTV use.

I agree with you that Orange World should be free to browse, like Live! is on Vodafone, but I also appreciate that Orange is making it no more or less expensive to use its own portal rather than any of the other excellent mobile sites out there.

WRT the firmware, yes, I'd consider that broken too - I'm not sure that it's fixed in newer firmware though, I think you need to find 'other' ways around that one. Still, updating should go just fine, just remember to back up everything first!

I also want to stress that Three provides an excellent (cheap) solution to a lot of peoples needs. Make sure you've given them a fair trial as I don't doubt your bills will be higher on Orange.

apoc_reg
16th August 2005, 01:21 PM
I phoned orange to go over a few things (mainly 3G services) and it turns out im still on an ancient deal (my 6680 was an upgrade) that means for just £4 a month i get endless (within reason) amount of internet access...... definetly stay with the orange one now

aparently the deal should have had an end date on it but when it was set up the field wasnt filled in so its still running

:D

Ben
16th August 2005, 01:45 PM
Weird, I don't know of that offer... the only pricing I know of is £4 for 4MB which is a starter Orange World Access bundle. Enough for moderate Orange World browsing but not too much else.

It wouldn't surprise me for a bored CSR to pass off 4MB as endless... so be wary!

apoc_reg
16th August 2005, 02:40 PM
According to the girl i was chatting with it was the orange world access bundle but its a older version of it. Before it was 4mb limit (and before 3G)

She sounded genuine to me as she was quite honest about other things (like the fact i will be spending more with them)

We shall see.... i wont go to crazy with it though. just in case!

dgilbert2
16th August 2005, 08:23 PM
I phoned orange to go over a few things (mainly 3G services) and it turns out im still on an ancient deal (my 6680 was an upgrade) that means for just £4 a month i get endless (within reason) amount of internet access...... definetly stay with the orange one now

aparently the deal should have had an end date on it but when it was set up the field wasnt filled in so its still running

:D

This sounds like the old "Open access" wap bundle which if you look at the fair use policy only allows upto 10MB a month. If you regulary exceed this they reserve the right to cancel the bundle or ask you to reduce usage. Note this does NOT apply to the orangeinternet APN, ONLY orangewap.

apoc_reg
16th August 2005, 11:27 PM
Whats Orange APN?

3GScottishUser
16th August 2005, 11:36 PM
APN is Orange's own 'Orange World' content.

I used to have that £4/month bundle and it is good for Ornage World content and some browsing but I'm pretty sure its not unlimited - worth checking.

apoc_reg
17th August 2005, 09:44 AM
Thanks i will

Ben
17th August 2005, 01:14 PM
APN is Access Point Name. Orange have various different access points and you are supposed to use the one intended for your usage.

Hypnotic
17th August 2005, 05:44 PM
You can use your 6680 on 3 as a modem. I have one and have used it with speeds of 480kb/s on my pc. I use Pc Suite 6.6 which automatically sets up the connection then it connects and off you go.

Ben
17th August 2005, 06:27 PM
...as a modem to do what exactly? Browse the 3 intranet (barely) and get your 3 email. WOW!

Hypnotic
17th August 2005, 09:28 PM
...as a modem to do what exactly? Browse the 3 intranet (barely) and get your 3 email. WOW!

Ummm no... To view webpages like a normal modem lets you do :eek:

dgilbert2
17th August 2005, 09:37 PM

Like www.bbc.co.uk ? or just 3's content?

Ben
17th August 2005, 10:10 PM
You cannot access anything other than Three UK's intranet on a Three UK USIM. We've tried.