View Full Version : Nokia6680 Push to Talk service

stuartturrell
18th August 2005, 09:50 PM
Is it available on orange?

I want to have a go using it, but i hear conflicting reports whether its avialable to us non-business users.
The software is easily downloadable from teh nokia website, and i have it installed.

Stuart

fat jez
18th August 2005, 10:56 PM
Push to Talk is branded Talk Now on Orange and is not available to people using a Nokia 6680. The Orange solution is different to the one provided by Nokia and is not compatible with the client from the Nokia website.

Cheers,
Jez

3g-g
18th August 2005, 11:43 PM
PTT, or Talk now, is currently being actively promoted on PAYG... expect a full contract release within a few weeks!

fat jez
19th August 2005, 12:01 AM
Contract was launched a year and a half ago - it's just never been promoted, much to my disgust. I've given a lot to that product and don't like to see it under-promoted.

Cheers,
Jez

Ben
19th August 2005, 02:33 AM
...it'll only take off if the networks accept the generic software/specifications that the handset manufacturers want to use. Still, fingers crossed something usable comes our way sooner or later.

whatleydude
19th August 2005, 07:27 AM
I saw a thing on PTT on the gadget show earlier this year..
..they said it was the reason that SMS hadn't really taken off in the US. They've had PTT since the dawn of time..
I didn't even know that it was available here.
I asked Vodafone about it at the time and they didn't have a clue..

3g-g
19th August 2005, 02:50 PM
Contract was launched a year and a half ago - it's just never been promoted, much to my disgust. I've given a lot to that product and don't like to see it under-promoted.

Cheers,
Jez

Why has it never been pushed? Has there ever been any reasoning? Video calling has never really captured my imagination, but PTT would surely be a killer ap? Is it not as discreet as SMS etc? but a lot quicker and much more fun!?

What involvement did you have with it? The tech or marketing side of things?

whatleydude
19th August 2005, 03:44 PM
So.. is this Orange UK that PTT is available on?!

That's crazy.. I'm with 3g-g

fat jez
19th August 2005, 06:22 PM
Why has it never been pushed? Has there ever been any reasoning? Video calling has never really captured my imagination, but PTT would surely be a killer ap? Is it not as discreet as SMS etc? but a lot quicker and much more fun!?

What involvement did you have with it? The tech or marketing side of things?

I'm not sure why it has never been pushed as it is taking off in France. One reason may have been the lead time on getting it working with a variety of different handsets, particularly the ones with closed OS's which require the manufacturer to write the client.

I work on the support side, so Talk Now is one of many products I have been involved with.

Cheers,
Jez