View Full Version : Orange TV Subscriptions Begin

Ben
27th August 2005, 01:13 AM
Upon trying to access Orange TV tonight I was taken back to the subscribe page on Orange World.

This time, however, I was simply informed that if I subscribe it costs £10 a month. No talk of free trials. So, rather than the usual OTV hiccups, it looks like I'm now a paying OTV customer!

I'm actually rather glad... hopefully OTV will no longer eat into my 50mb of free data.

Two new channels have also arrived on OTV. TV Shorts replaces Big Brother. It seems to be showing some kind of actual programming... what I just watched was far too abstract for my liking though! Also added is the ITN Weather channel. I'm sure you'll all join me in rejoicing.

Now if only they'd add News 24 :\ And/or maybe some actual mainstream TV channels!

dgilbert2
27th August 2005, 09:11 AM
ummm, I ended up at the subscrption page also, but am only 6 weeks into my 3 months.

Are you now over 3 months?

Also I was prompted for an upgrade to version 3.02.

Dont know what that is but still has backlight and no sound problems with warning tones OFF.

Also still crashes and is unusable on the move due to breaks in data. But apart from that its fine :)

It would be interesting to know if when you pay £10 a month if the 1GB allowance *is* for TV only or if you can use it for downloading videos / browsing Orange World also.

getti
27th August 2005, 12:00 PM
its ONLY for the TV use

Ben
27th August 2005, 02:16 PM
its ONLY for the TV use
Technically... I'm very much looking forward to how it gets implemented.

Yes dgilbert2, I'm over my 3 months now so it makes sense that I should have received that message. If you had the same one (that doesn't mention the free trial) then that's a tad worrying! No Orange 3G subscriber should pay the £10 a month while they're receiving their free Try 1GB/month.

I also cannot find any improvements in the new version - it's still badly coded with a poor user interface. Perhaps the functionality for dynamically adding/removing TV channels was an afterthought...

3g-g
7th September 2005, 11:27 PM
Righty, I'm having problems with OTV. When I originally got my phone it was the Orange branded effort, I downloaded OTV, it showed the TV OK but with no sound... Not to worry I thought. I've since had it re-flashed and the video clips stopped working so I downloaded the Talk3G PVplayer .sis (https://talk3g.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1321) file we have here, it sorted the sound and video from Orange World, however I'm still soundless on OTV. I can occasionaly hear a little "crackle eep" noise and I think it's about to kick in.... and nothing!! Ideas?

3GScottishUser
7th September 2005, 11:37 PM
What is the opinion of this product?

Those small casio LCD TV's just did'nt take off years back. The Orange TV product is somethng similar on a mobile phone.

Is it useful? Would you pay £10/month for it (£120/year or £6 less than a TV licence).

Novelty or worthwhile long term phone product?

3g-g
7th September 2005, 11:41 PM
I think the quality on screen and streaming is fantastic... I can't comment on the sound yet :mad:

I don't think I'd pay the £10 a month, however I would pay as I consumed. Today would of been a prime example of where I could of used it. Waiting for a meeting to start which was running late I could of watched the news, however, my sound let me down. Other than that, it's really a dip-in, dip-out app IMO.

Ben
7th September 2005, 11:48 PM
You need to turn warning sounds on ;)

Warning sounds off, for some reason, disables sound in this incredibly badly coded ap.

Edit: Here's the thread about it, hope it helps! https://talk3g.co.uk/showthread.php?t=724&highlight=Sound

3g-g
8th September 2005, 12:13 AM
God damn you warning sounds!!! That's it working, and now I remember the original post... D'oh!!

Hands0n
8th September 2005, 12:53 AM
.......... and this is the man who knows all about transmitter masts, UMTS technology, what goes on inside the network, speaks in a tecchie language that I barely understand ..... busted by a soppy handset ......... oh the sweet irony hee hee :)

Sorry ......... couldn't resist that :D Mother always said to kick a man when he's down

Hands0n
8th September 2005, 12:57 AM
Strictly on topic (ignoring the above abberation) - I watched OTV on my mates 6680 when he first got it a while back. I must say that I was impressed with the content even at launch. We was sat in the open air just beside 1 Canada Square, down by the bars and resteraunts. Streaming quality was very good indeed with only one or two momentary glitches.

But I share the opinion of others - £10 a month is a bit OTT. If they want it to be a limited edition rich kids toy then they'll succeed at those charges. Make it £5 and I'm sure the uptake would more than compensate for the lower charge (oops I'm in Wal Mart mode again tonight).

3g-g
8th September 2005, 01:15 AM
All I can say in my defense, and it's something I think most people on here are guilty of... RTFM.

It's just something I can never bring myself to do!