View Full Version : Threepay - General opinion

Rickiboy
30th August 2005, 01:45 PM
Hi, I was just wondering what peoples opinions were on threepay?
I bought a three simcard for my 6680 whilst waiting for an unlock code and i find the service very restrictive.
The minimum amount of topup you can credit your account with is £15, which only lasts for 30 days, this effectively is very similar to a contract in that you are paying a minimum of £180 a year to use a pay as you go service. Plus you do not get the added benefits of free text and minutes that you would get with a contract.
Surely the whole point of pay as you go is to be able to use the phone as and when you wish, and control the amount you spend?
Having spoken to three they are quoting £150 to have a 6680 unlocked.

Just wondered what others opinions were on this matter?

(Is there any idea when unlock codes may be released for the 6680)

Thanks

Ben
30th August 2005, 02:44 PM
Hey,

I think Threepay has always been a product offered by Three for those not eligible for a contract or for those who do not want to commit. It's not Pay-as-you-go in the high-street and highly evolved sense where you can top up with varying amounts and those amounts will last, pretty much, until you consume them.

Given time I do think that Threepay will evolve, just as the other networks contractless offerings did, into something more flexible. For now, though, if you insist on being with Three then it's all that is on the table.

I haven't topped my Threepay up in a little while. I'll top it up at some point soon just to keep an observation on quality-of-service, but needless to say the terms of Threepay aren't flexible enough for a third-in-line mobile phone!

Re: 6680 unlock, I do believe that the price 3 charges for this service drops dramatically once the term of the contract has been served. Unlocking will be in the public domain eventually, it's inevitable, but I don't think anyone can speculate as to exactly when this will happen at this moment in time.

getti
30th August 2005, 04:31 PM
I think 3pay kicks a$$. For too long, the other networks managed to rip off PAYG customers with high phone prices, less services and by making the phone more expencive to use for calls etc.

Im now a happy owner of a LG 8360 on Threepay which i just got back with. Cost me £249.99 but it has £30 already on it.

I can get 500mins, 75texts and £2.50 credit for £30 a month on 3 and thats a bargain as if i want to only put on £15 i can do.

3GScottishUser
30th August 2005, 06:23 PM
ThreePay is totally inflexable. The 30 day top up rule makes it a pain for all but a few high spenders and its demise lately seems to be a result of that issue plus the overall poor customer experience in terms of the 3 UK network.

3 UK need a pre-pay product and ThreePay was designed to recoup the high cost of early models of 3G handsets. Soon there will be much cheaper Chineese 3G handsets that should be able to be sold at prices that will allow 3 UK to make the service more attractive and less restricted than the current model.

Being realistic a £250 pre-pay handset and a regular top-up of £15/month is a high cost mobile phone solution these days (£430 for the 1st year).