View Full Version : D-Link 3G Wireless Router

Ben
30th August 2005, 03:05 PM
http://www.wirelessiq.info/content/newsfeed/4323.html

D-Link, the end to end networking solutions provider for consumers and business, today announced that the D-Link Wireless 3G Mobile Router will be added to its line of award-winning customer premise products. The D-Link Wireless 3G Mobile Router (DI-725) will offer subscribers of wireless carriers the ability to share 3G wireless broadband access at speeds up to 2.4 Mbps with Ethernet and 802.11g connected stations from anywhere a compatible 3G mobile signal is available. The D-Link Wireless 3G Mobile Router will offer both consumers and small business a way to provide wireless wide area networking (WAN) for local Ethernet and 802.11g Wi-Fi networks.

The D-Link Wireless 3G Mobile Router will come equipped with a built in Cardbus slot for the insertion of a 3G wireless notebook adapter interface for EVDO, UMTS, Flash-OFDM and HSDPA networks. The router will also feature two USB 2.0 ports, one for providing wireless broadband access when used in conjunction with a USB enabled 3G mobile cell phone and another port for optional print server functionality. The D-Link DI-725 Wireless 3G Mobile Router will include a built-in 10/100 Mbps switch to connect up to four Ethernet-enabled networking devices as well as an integrated 802.11g access point for wireless LAN support.

"Providing shared broadband network access to mobile subscribers from anywhere a cellular network reaches is a strong proposition for mobile operators," said Steven Joe, President and CEO for D-Link. "This new 3G router and its extensive feature set will be an important product for wireless carriers looking to drive additional value added service revenue."

The D-Link DI-725 Wireless 3G Mobile Router will also incorporate enhanced security features such as WPA, support for 802.1x, and NAT firewall functionality to protect your network. Parental Control features include URL Filtering and Domain Blocking to keep users on your network from accessing blocked content. The router will also include scheduling features to prevent access during unsupervised hours.

I've posted this article through pure fascination. I love the idea of being able to insert something like a Vodafone 3G datacard into a router and, providing you can power the thing, being able to distribute both wired and wireless data connectivity. Oh, if only I lived in a caravan!

Having a cardbus slot seems like a particularly bright idea, as the device should then be able to support any upcoming standards and is immediately ready for use on all the flavours of 3G out there. It's a shame it doesn't have bluetooth too, for easier link up to a mobile, but then if you're running a whole network off 3G data it could be argued that using a USB cable is the sensible option.

I particularly like the idea of this because the router could be placed somewhere high up/with optimum reception, and then distribute WiFi around the locality. It'd mean that, where a datacard shoved straight into a laptop might not cut it, 3G connectivity becomes an option again.

Cool :D

3GScottishUser
30th August 2005, 06:26 PM
Seems a pretty reasonable idea.

Why not?

Only drawback would be the cost to use the wireless services presently. I doubt if 3G will ever deliver the wireless solution that will replace ADSL + Cable but Wi-Max will.

The future's bright...

Hands0n
30th December 2005, 08:35 AM
I was looking to see where this device is available from. Speculation in the articles is that it will not be out until 1Q/2006. But who will sell it, the Mobile Operators or 3rd party suppliers?

If the Mobile Ops want a piece of the action they will have to bring down their data access rates if they are to face off Wi-Max in the fixed location or "less mobile" stakes. They could try holding the price slightly higher claiming true mobile working but they'll kill the golden goose if they don't get this right!