View Full Version : Orange Customers get Wanadoo 2Mb BB for £9.99

3GScottishUser
31st August 2005, 09:22 AM
From UK Broadband User Group:

Wanadoo have this week announced a new deal where mobile phone customers of its sibling company Orange, can pick up a 2Mbps service for just £9.99 per month.

Wanadoo's 'Wireless & Talk' service provides users with the ISPs Livebox, enabling wireless broadband around the home coupled with VOIP calling, in addition to the 2Mbps ADSL service. VOIP calls on the service are limited to a maximum length of 2 hours, but there's nothing preventing you from simply redialing the number again.

The move is hardly a surprising one, given both companies are owned by France Telecom, and clearly is a move designed not only to tempt new broadband customers, but an effort to retain its existing mobile phone customer base as well.

Existing Orange customers can sign up for the broadband offer by dialling 424 from their mobile phone.

http://www.uk-bug.net/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article

gorilla
31st August 2005, 11:57 AM
Any idea if this is available for PAYG customers? This would be ideal for my mum who has had an orange phone for years.

3GScottishUser
31st August 2005, 12:06 PM
I would think that's unlikely. Maybe she would benefit formk a low user contract deal or one with lots of cashback? There are some around now with less complex phone models that work out much cheaper than a PAYG.

Ben
31st August 2005, 12:24 PM
She could always 'upgrade' her PAYG to a low cost contract that meets her usage patterns. If she calls Orange they'll be able to give her an idea of what her usage is and whether they can make a recommendation.

So, the Orange revolution begins. Or should that be the French revolution?

Jon3G
31st August 2005, 12:25 PM
Any idea if this is available for PAYG customers? This would be ideal for my mum who has had an orange phone for years.

Do you mean will the offer for Wanadoo be available for Orange PAYG customers?

If so, ask you mum to dail 424 from her handset and find out. If she can let us know.

3GScottishUser
31st August 2005, 01:04 PM
From Z-Net UK (31/08/2005):

Mobile network operator Orange is making a move into broadband.

Orange will offer new subscribers a 2Mbps connection from Wanadoo for £9.99 per month, around 50 percent less than most 2Mbps services on the market. Current mobile customers will also be able to get the deal when they renew their contract.

Analyst firm Ovum gave the offer a cautious welcome,

"This is a form of bundling, but customers are still purchasing two separate services with separate charges. However, Orange is offering a discount to customers that sign up for both services. The broadband deal is good value, and customers also receive a VoIP service as a second line, although they are still required to pay the BT line rental," said Ovum's Carrie Pawsey.

Orange is also trying to stimulate demand for its third-generation offerings by cutting the cost of its entry-level 3G service to £12.50 per month for the first six months.

Both Orange and Wanadoo are owned by France Telecom, and this deal marks the early stages of a plan to rebrand Wanadoo as Orange.

http://news.zdnet.co.uk/communications/broadband/0,39020342,39215757,00.htm

Ben
31st August 2005, 01:10 PM
Orange is also trying to stimulate demand for its third-generation offerings by cutting the cost of its entry-level 3G service to £12.50 per month for the first six months.
That'll be 6 months 1/2 price line rental on 18 month Your Plan 120 then? That must be what's replacing the double minutes promotion.

It's not a bad start, but if this bundling lark is going to work then I think it needs to be more coherent. I don't think putting Orange and Wanadoo under the same brand is going to be enough - the companies will need to function as one to exercise any real power in the marketplace.

It'll be a wakeup call to mobops who don't have an ISP up their sleeves though!

gorilla
1st September 2005, 11:21 AM
I'm meeting my mum for lunch today, so I'll ring orange and see what they say.
However, the most important question is where to go and what to have for lunch? Ah decisions, decisions...

whatleydude
1st September 2005, 11:52 AM
Personally - I have to recommend Wagamamas everytime.

:)

gorilla
6th September 2005, 09:16 AM
It's only for contract custmers.