View Full Version : Would you go back to 2g?

gorilla
6th September 2005, 03:18 PM
Ok, so we all have our own thoughts about 3, other 3g networks and the whole concept of 3g in the first place.

My question to you is this:
Having been with 3 for your contractual period i.e. 12/18 months would you consider going back to a non 3g tariff on a rival network?

I'm only a quarter of the way through my contract, but I'm not totally convinced of the beneifts of 3g. Having said that, I'm happy with my current tariff and could stay with 3 at the end of my contract, but only because of the tariff and not any of the 3g services they provide. I'm not even going to consider the walled garden argument.

Ben
6th September 2005, 03:44 PM
After my 12 months on 3 I went back to my 2G tariff on Orange (I tell a lie, I never left Orange) but that was because nothing else was available, not because I had to. 3G had convinced me that the increased speed of downloading and integrated videocall capability was the way of the future and I was determined to get my hands on a 3G device on a network that didn't limit data capabilities.

Of course, 3G also brings cheaper voice prices due to increased capacity - so just being happy with your tariff is a reflection on 3G in itself.

My main phone will always be 3G from now on, just not on Three.

3GScottishUser
6th September 2005, 05:08 PM
Ditto.

I would have no hesitation about dumping 3G and using GSM especially after 27 months with 3 UK's network. I have had major issues with coverage, call dropping and customer service and would be quite happy to give up the video etc and just have reliable voice and text services.

Happily I now have both 02 3G pre-pay and Vodafone 3G contract and as both of those have seamless switching I dont have any issues with voice or text. Happy to have 3G but not at any cost and my initial experience with 3 could have made me very negative towards the technology. I'm pleased to say i have given others the chance and their implementation of 3G seems much better.

cyberkid999
6th September 2005, 10:08 PM
Ditto.

I would have no hesitation about dumping 3G and using GSM especially after 27 months with 3 UK's network. .

Today I drove from Yorkshire out to the coast in rural Lincs and had Three coverage all the way.... 27 months does seem a very long time if they were so bad for you why you have stayed with them so long....was it the cheap calls that tempted you?

3GScottishUser
6th September 2005, 11:06 PM
No the cheap calling was an incentive but I was careful and always had s GSM network to use as 3's was worse than useless and dropped callls.

I have now learned that if you pay 1/2 the price - you get 1/2 the service. That applies to voice calls, SMS, and customer service.

Hands0n
6th September 2005, 11:13 PM
The question "Would you go back to 2G" is answered by me as a fairly definite "No". I have tasted the potential of 3G, if not the actuality of it also. Now that there are more 3G players in the market the scope for going back to 2G reduces almost daily.

Why? I want faster downloads. I want Videocalling (yes, I do!!), I want to view videoclips of News rather than just read text stories, I want faster Internet access.

So, individual 3G suppliers aside - will I go back to 2G? Errr, in the same way that I don't use my VHS player/recorder anymore, that'd be a big fat "No"

3g-g
6th September 2005, 11:20 PM
Nope, absolutely no need for it now. I don't even like it when I have to use bog-standard GSM GPRS connections now! I'm happy to switch to GSM for voice if there's no UMTS coverage... apart from that give me UMTS any time. With the networks lining up EDGE for peripheral coverage, and 3G HSDPA not far off also things are looking rosey!

They sell original TACS analogue handsets and early GSM ones (with no SMS facility, eeeep!) as collectors/novelty items, it can't be too long till people say, "remember the days when we couldn't get live TV and video calling on our phones".

cyberkid999
7th September 2005, 07:34 AM
I have now learned that if you pay 1/2 the price - you get 1/2 the service. That applies to voice calls, SMS, and customer service.

sorry but please could you clairfy that to 'in your opion' as I have the toatl opposite opinion. I have had NO problems with any of these services and bear in mind that you dont pay 1/2 price to Three (apart from the few months startup) you pay eventually taking into account your cashback deal.

Why do you stay with Three for 27 months when they are so poor for you?

3GScottishUser
7th September 2005, 08:43 AM
Two reasons to stay with 3 for that period.

1. To experience and try the technology (it was the only 3G service for much of that time).

2. It was cheap.

Have learned my lesson now though and although I still have 3 (and might even remain on a cheap contract to monitor its performance) I use another mobile network as my primary communications service.

getti
7th September 2005, 09:34 AM
I have had this discussion with many people on MSN in the past and i just cant go back, im hooked now.

Everytime i go to get a new phone i end up with a 3G one because i see them as the future. With the high download speed and the video calling feature i would just miss them far too much.

Looks like im on 3G until 4G comes out :D

gorilla
7th September 2005, 09:49 AM
Cheers for the responses, I never thought I'd get this many!
Well I have to admit, that given the choice between a bog standard GSM phone or a 3g phone I am going to pick the 3g one every time, just because I love gadgets. I also have to confess that my phone is locked to a 3g signal using that 'network test' software and I haven't experienced any dropped calls at all. Probably by next summer there will be a better range of 3g tariffs across all the networks, so I dare say 3g take up will improve. Isn't it the Christmas period that everyone is banging on about at the minute for new tariffs anyway?

bsrjl1
7th September 2005, 11:29 AM
There's traditionally a large push by the networks before Christmas, pre-pay phones fly off the shelves as presents. While 3's contract offerings seem good (great?) value, 3pay is a bit limp. Recently they've been removing inactive customers, and their monthly/prepay mix has increased.

I don't know anyone with a 3pay phone, but lots with a monthly tarriff. Would you ever buy someone a contract phone for Christmas?

gorilla
7th September 2005, 11:50 AM
I suppose some parents will get their child a contract phone. Free handset, inclusive minutes and texts etc, could work out cheaper than payg. A bit risky though.
In answering your question bsrjl1, I wouldn't get my mate a contract phone for Christmas! I suppose the option is there for you to get a new contract + handset, for you to use the sim (and tariff) and to give the phone as a present (unlocked of course).