View Full Version : Locked DRM content from 3

Hands0n
6th September 2005, 10:56 PM
I'm not sure if it is the same with the other networks but 3's Video (and I believe Audio) content is DRM locked.

Okay, no problem there, but with the Motorola handsets, at least, the content is only downloadable to the phone's own memory. That means that the content is irretrievably lost should the phone have to be reflashed, replaced, or cold started (manufacturer reset). It also limits the amount of content that you can store on your handset to that which is built into the handset itself. A right royal pain considering that the average Music Video on 3 is £1.50.

I was pleasantly astonished to find that the 3 content can be downloaded to and stored on the 6680's DV-MMC card. Which means that it will be able to survive the aforementioned without causing financial loss to the handset owner. Not only that, but it is also quite possible to copy the entire content (DRM and all) across to a PC via an MMC adapter for safekeeping or for subseqent uploading to a larger MMC card (wot I just did!).

Being locked content you cannot onward transmit it via Bluetooth or MMS which is fair enough. But it is nice to be able to indefinitely preserve your financial expenditure on the content.

bsrjl1
7th September 2005, 11:09 AM
A couple of music videos haven't been locked - Silence by Delirium/Sarah McLachlan & Call on me by Eric Prydz are two I've found. I'm not sure how the others a DRM'd to the handset - IMEI? Certainly nothing showing in Active Keys on the 6680.