View Full Version : ITV Launches Mobile Content

whatleydude
8th September 2005, 09:32 AM
I saw this yesterday:

ITV to put top programmes on mobile phones

In an innovation likely to baffle most of the regulars in the Rover's Return, ITV is to launch a mobile phone service that will allow fans to watch self-contained episodes of popular shows such as Coronation Street on the move.
The broadcaster will today unveil ITV Mobile, a service which will work with most modern phones and offers users news, sport and weather.

It also plans highlights and special episodes of its top-rating programmes including This Morning, I'm a Celebrity and Coronation Street. These could include parallel storylines that link television episodes of the show.

From next year, the broadcaster will also start to commission programmes specifically to be viewed on mobile devices. While mobile operators have dabbled with creating television-style content in the past, ITV's entrance into the market is likely to stimulate more interest among independent producers in coming up with programme ideas suitable for the small screen.

The ITV Mobile portal will work with most phones now in circulation. It has been developed by the recently launched ITV Consumer Division, a unit charged with finding new ways to boost revenues outside television advertising and expand into new media and publishing.

It will charge up to £5 for programmes and services, although some will be free. As part of an attempt to compensate for falling ratings on its main ITV1 channel, ITV is belatedly following the lead of the BBC and Sky in launching its biggest programmes on to phones and computers.

In the month when it celebrates its 50th birthday, it will also today announce plans to launch trials of a new broadband internet service. Available through a high speed internet connection, ITV Local will offer a highly targeted local channel including news and weather and ITV entertainment content. If the trial, initially concentrating on the Brighton and Hastings area, is a success it will expand the service to other regions

Source: http://www.guardian.co.uk/online/news/0,12597,1564226,00.html

I know this was touched upon the other day when we were talking about the new Sky content you can download for Symbian phones.. somebody mentioned that broadcasters will start doing their own thing independently of the Networks. Looks like ITV are next up..

What do you think?

Would you pay £5 to watch X-Factor on your phone?

I wouldn't - but I know a few 'people' that would!
:)

getti
8th September 2005, 10:11 AM
Depends what that £5 gets you. If it gave quite alot and worked on 3 then i would. And yes that includes X Factor.