View Full Version : 1GB DV RS-MMC Announced!

whatleydude
8th September 2005, 04:34 PM
Going under the new name of MMCmobile..
I saw this today:

(PRWEB) August 31, 2005 -- ATP Electronics Inc., a leading manufacturer of digital flash media products, today announced the release of 1GB MMCmobile flash cards.

The highest capacity 1GB MMCmobile cards allow for double the capacity of multimedia content such as video, music, photos, games, and ringtones to be held on a single card.

"The current generation mobile phone is offering mega-pixel photography, video recording, audio, gaming, and office application functionalities, but is still limited in storage capacity. This 1GB capacity will allow power users to unleash these functions, truly making their phones complete portable multimedia solutions. In addition to ATP’s MMCmobile lineup, our MMCplus and new MMCmicro lineups will continue to solidify ATP as the true leader in flash card performance and technology," said Danny Lin, ATP VP of Sales and Marketing.

ATP MMCmobilecards are also compatible with mobile phones which require or can use dual voltage memory cards such as Nokia smartphones 6630, 6680, 6681, 6682, N90, and N70. This dual voltage (DV) feature allows for compatibility with devices running on the conventional 3.0V as well as with the dual voltage 3.0/1.8V devices. Low voltage translates to much lower power consumption, meaning a longer battery life without any compromise in multimedia function.

At 24 x 18 x 1.4mm and about half the size of the MMCplus, the MMCmobile is a standard memory card format conforming to the specification v4.1 of the MultiMediaCard Association (MMCA). MMCmobile supports data bus width of 1/4/8 bits, 3/1.8V dual voltage, and is fully backward compatible with original MMC cards.

ATP’s new MMCmobile cards offer the same advanced features as ATP’s other flash card products offering ample protection from water, dust, ESD (electro-static discharge), and extreme temperatures ranging from –40C to 85C. This allows for versatility and durability rarely found today in flash memory cards. The 1GB MMCmobile product is available in sample quantities now, with mass production planned in October. 512MB, 256MB and 128MB MMCmobile cards are also currently available.

Source: http://www.prweb.com/releases/2005/8/inktomi278495.php

I stuck it in here as its mainly the new wave of Nokias that use this memory format.
I currently have a 512mb MMCmobile Card and come October.... Who knows?!

:)

Ben
8th September 2005, 05:26 PM
Good find! I only have a 256mb... I'd consider upgrading to a GB. Fingers crossed it's not going to break the bank!

whatleydude
8th September 2005, 05:34 PM
Cheers ears - my personal reccommendation would be to keep an eye on people like expansys or mobilefun..

Once they have them in stock - check ebay.

I got my 512mb for £47 inc p&p from there..
..and now you can get them for £30 inc p&p... Which ain't bad at all!

Fingers crossed I'll spot a good deal in October/November time ..
Which would be great - just in time for my new N70!

Hands0n
8th September 2005, 07:42 PM
Oh for pity's sake! I have only just received my 256MB DV-RSMMC from mobilefun.co.uk grrrrrrrrrrrrr £22.45 delivered (£16.98 + £2.13 p&p + VAT). Not that I store much media on the 6680 at the moment - too busy using it as a phone LOL

whatleydude
2nd November 2005, 09:54 AM
UPDATE
( well - kinda)

I pre-ordered one of these as soon as I could and I got an update email today.. it said:

Thank you for your interest in the forthcoming ATP 1GB MMCMobile Memory Card.

UPDATE: November 2, 2005
As of today, we still do not have a commercial release date for this memory. We are constantly in touch with ATP. We will be allotted the first batch of 1GB MMCMobile Memory.
We now have several hundred people on our pre-order email list.

We have your email address as: james.whatley@**********.co.uk
Your position on our pre-order list is: 12

CUSTOMER SERVICE:
We strive to provide best customer service, you can reach us directly at [email protected] or by phone at: +1 858 864 8600

So fingers crossed - these people will be the first to get their hands on these MMC cards.
I'll let you know if I hear anything else..

Ben
2nd November 2005, 10:06 AM
Thanks whatleydude! Shame about the delay :\ DV RS-MMC of this size is going to really spur the use of phones (read Nokias) as MP3 players when the price is right.

Good of them to give you a queue position, at least it's an incentive not to cancel!

whatleydude
2nd November 2005, 10:12 AM
Exactly - Number TWELVE out of 'several hundred'.

I'm quite chuffed.
I mean - I get a lot of stuff on my 512mb at the moment (around 90 or so good quality MP3s) but a Gig?! WOOOHOO!

Fingers crossed the price won't be astronomical.

Ginz
2nd November 2005, 12:53 PM
I saw on Mobilefun the 512MB RSMC was something silly like £30 so what is the expected price of the 1GB?

Link here. £28.95

http://www.mobilefun.co.uk/product/6332.htm

whatleydude
2nd November 2005, 01:04 PM
I would imagine around £50-£60.

But thats the DV RS-MMC.
The one I'm talking about is the MMCMobile card.

They're supposedly the same thing with mmcmobile being the new 'brandname' so to speak for the mouthful that is dv-rs-mmc.

But I've been reading on other websites that the MMCMobile card is better than the DV RS MMC.

How and why this is I am yet to discover but it may explain any price difference between the two.

Ginz
2nd November 2005, 01:14 PM
So it would be wise to get a 512 for under £30 or wait? Seeing as a 256 came with the N70, it's not a huge difference I guess.

whatleydude
2nd November 2005, 02:42 PM
You got a 256 with your N70?!

Where from dude?!

Mine only came with a 64.

..and yeah - a 512 under £30 is a good price.
Check ebay too. That's where I get most of mine from..

Ginz
2nd November 2005, 06:59 PM
Sorry I do apologise your right it came with a 64MB mem card.

512 for under £30 sounds exceptional then.

whatleydude
7th December 2005, 10:37 AM
Hello,

I got this today from USAMemory.Net...

Hello,

Your email address: [email protected]
Your position on our pre-order list: 12

We are very pleased to announce that we will be receiving the first commercial batch of MMCMobile 1GB Memory Cards on FRIDAY December 9th.

We will be shipping this memory out on Friday to those people who have submitted their email addresses, and a couple of on-going supporters and customers.

By receiving this email – you are on the list (the first 100 people), and you will have the opportunity to purchase and receive this memory.

The batch size is an incredibly small 40 (forty) pieces, therefore it is strictly one memory card per person (unfortunately NO exceptions). Once we reach the allotted 40 orders, we will immediately notify the remaining people that this first batch (40 pieces) has been sold.

Any order beyond the first 40 – will be first in the list for the NEXT BATCH. We will always keep everyone informed about future delivery dates, but hopefully future shipments will arrive soon thereafter.

Please be aware of a few things:
- We are definitely the first company to get ATP 1GB MMCMobile Memory anywhere.
- We have further orders in the system, and we only purchase directly from ATP.
- No discount vouchers, free shipping etc can be used on these orders…
- To guarantee one of these memory cards, you will need to order before 1pm on FRIDAY December 9th AND be one of the first 40 people to place an order
- We have a strict limit of one memory card per order – to allow as many people as possible to get one of these initial batch.

Price:
Incredibly we do not have a price yet, not even ATP knows the price until they receive the memory cards. You will receive the exact pricing as soon as we receive the pricing… all we know so far is that we will definitely have this memory on Friday.

How to Order:
The moment that we receive the pricing, you will receive a further email with a direct URL link to the page to order this 1GB MMCMobile Memory Card.
Honestly – you will have to be very quick. We will definitely sell all forty cards very (very) quickly.

Shipping:
We will be shipping the orders on Friday December 9th.

Best regards,
Robert Martindale
Owner USAMEMORY.NET
[email protected]
Phone: +1 858 864 8600
http://usamemory.net

So those of you who [i]are[/]i interested - I'll update this when I get a price - but going by the news about mini-SD cards that was posted recently - I doubt there'll be many takers!

Cheers..

whatleydude
7th December 2005, 03:55 PM
Well...

Even though I've been talking about it here: https://talk3g.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1842 ..all day - I figured I should post this bit of info in this thread..

I just managed to successfully bid on and win a 1GB dv rs-mmc on ebay for a grand total of £38 all in.

I am a happy bunny.

I'll be buying a few more over the next couple of days - so if anyone's interested let me know and maybe we can work something out..

KingMatt2511
7th December 2005, 06:04 PM
Just as I hear the news of this, my MMCmobile 512mb card comes through the post for my N70!

whatleydude
14th December 2005, 08:51 PM
My first batch of 1GB mem cards arrived today!

Wooooooo!