View Full Version : T-Mobile 3G Launch 'in a few months'

Ben
8th September 2005, 07:34 PM
Just an update of little substance, really.

I spoke to a T-Mobile representative today about 3G handsets and when the launch would be. This may well be information you already know, but as T-Mobile were good enough to call me back I'll share it with you anyway.

Coverage will initially be in 11-12 major cities and will be expanded later, with a launch around November time. It'll be before Christmas, all being well, and I think T-Mobile are aware that this year's '3G Christmas' is one not to be left out of.

solo12002
8th September 2005, 11:05 PM
God

Lets hope its good, they have taken ages to get to this point FFS!

3g-g
9th September 2005, 12:09 AM
I can't wait till T-Mob launch their UMTS proper, I've noticed they've been fairly upgrading their exsiting sites around my way for sure. In fact at home just now I can only pick up 3, Orange3G and T-Mob3G... and I'm sure O2 and Voda at least have their UMTS antennas installed locally.

I've got a feeling T-Mob might just make their 3G services extremely cheap to lure the punters over. If they can provide a good connection speeds as well as decent fallback GPRS they might just take a big chunk, I'm sure they handle one of the biggest customer volumes currently anyway with all the MVNOs on their back.

3GScottishUser
9th September 2005, 12:34 AM
I think I may have mentioned it elsewhere but its amazing to think that I actually used T-Mobile's 3G service in December 2003!!

Yes, they had a whole bunch of their staff using Nokia 7600's evaluating the service back then. Indeed they have upgraded a lot of sites and where i live even the roadside poles have had new fatter cylinders attached and additional boxes sited next to the existing street furniture.

Expect this very quiet giant to pouce when they make their 3G move.

cyberkid999
9th September 2005, 11:36 PM
Expect this very quiet giant to pouce when they make their 3G move.

They wil need to do some pretty impressive pouncing as T Mobile is the only network I have coverage problems with and quite often I have full Three 3G signal and no T Mobile coverage.

3g-g
10th September 2005, 12:53 AM
Yeah, T-mob were well known for poor coverage in the past. I think since the Deutsche Telekom buyout they've been quietly working away, improving things. I've noticed when out and about a great deal of UMTS enabled T-Mob sites, and the coverage on my roaming SIM seems to suggest that they're going to have a fair old area covered, definately the top 11 cities in the UK. They're most certainly taking ages to launch their UMTS network, but I've got a feeling it'll be a good one. They're the only network in the UK that's suggested they'll have HSDPA ready to use within a short timescale! And if they do, watch those business customers flock over! WRT the T-Mob coverage... Do you have a T-Mobile handset with you as well as your Three 6630 to compare as you drive about?

Hands0n
10th September 2005, 05:38 PM
Being "last out of the gate" may well do T-Mobile a bit of a favour. Given their incumbent customer numbers (T-Mob and MVNO headcount) they have had no real need to jump into 3G in any great hurry. Will they do it "better" than the other four? Only time will tell this out for sure. But it is reasonable to anticipate that they will come at it very aggressively in order to make their [3G] mark quickly. I wonder if they'll downplay the whole 3G thing and go for high speed content and services.

If they release in time for 4Q/2005 then it will be a very interesting end of this year for sure. I have two contracts to either renew, replace or merge into one through 4Q05/1Q06 and I'll be in no rush to jump until everyone has their cards on the table. Cor, I cant wait :)

3GScottishUser
10th September 2005, 06:04 PM
As the network that provides the Virgin Mobile service it cant be too bad nowadays as Virgin have scored very highly in terms of customer satisfaction in recent industry research.

All of the networks have areas of strength and weakness, some more than others but on the whole there does not appear to be much in the way of negative feedback about T-Mobile or Virgin recently.

BTW: Does'nt T-Mobile have a massive commitment to mobile data including one of the largest Wi-Fi networks in the UK?

crowfield99
12th February 2006, 01:43 AM
Quick Question about this had a T-Mobile 3G phone for near a year now, but Video Calling could not be used. Can it be used now? As everytime I make a video call it still gives the norm. error messages. Call cannot be made check Coverage/Network.

solo12002
12th February 2006, 01:04 PM
sounds like you have no 3G coverage when you are trying the video call?

crowfield99
12th February 2006, 01:54 PM
Oh do have great 3G Coverage, but just never able to make a video call.

Ben
12th February 2006, 02:04 PM
Bizzare.

I know initially when T-Mobile were selling 3G devices they wern't selling them *as* 3G devices. Therefore it's very possible that your account with T-Mobile does not have 3G services provisioned.

Best to contact them directly to check this out... a competent operator should be able to help you.

Hands0n
29th March 2006, 04:20 PM
So whats the score with T-Mobile and 3G today then? I have been having a bit of a browse around their website and while there is some information in the FAQ for instance, there is precious little that would convince me that T-Mobile were a 3G provider. Two handsets in their lineup being the N70 and 6280 do not inspire one at the moment.

I note that their coverage checker says full video in my area of operation (North Kent) comparable to 3 and others.

No mention of 3G in their tariffs, no mention of how much it costs per minute to make a videocall, no mention of any 3G bundling of things such as videocall and videomessage.

They [T-Mobile] are patently last out of the gate - so are they about to blow away all of the competition or will they just dribble out and just become the 5th 3G provider in the UK?

NB: I am really interested in taking on their Flext but I want it to be "Flext with 3G"

crowfield99
29th March 2006, 05:22 PM
I got the Nokia 6630 on T-Mobile, of course this was on Contract. I thought I would be clever and now use a PAYG Sim in this. Called up T-Mobile and the gets wont allow you to use Video Calling on PAYG!!!

Hands0n
29th March 2006, 06:37 PM
I thought I'd ask directly ("Don't ask, don't get" said me ole mum, and I remember her words well) ....... Here is the response I got from T-Mobile's CS in response to my enquiry about when I could anticipate being able to subscribe to Flext with 3G on a Nokia N80 (well, who wouldn't?).

Hello *****

Thanks for your interest in an N80 on a Flext with 3G price plan.

I'm afraid that this package isn't currently available and at the moment we don't have a release date as to if, or when it might be available.

I can understand if this is disappointing, but I'm pleased to advise that we have a similar service due in April called Flext with Web 'n' Walk, which uses GPRS. You'll see this and the N80 when it's out at www.t-mobile.co.uk/paymonthly.

If you have any more questions please call 0845 412 2412 (charged at local rate) from 8am to 10pm Monday to Friday, 9am to 6pm Saturday or 10am to 3pm Sunday.

Thanks for your email *****, I hope you find a suitable phone package soon.

Kind regards

J*****
Email team

Not a terribly unencouraging response, but reading betwixt the lines there is a hint of a suggestion that what I am asking for is in their thoughts and plans. After all, they are going to have to package 3G in some manner with the new 3G-capable handsets being out with the other four mobile operators. T-Mobile will compete strongly, one would have thought. I could be wrong. But at the moment they are in the backwoods in 3G terms.

I do not see myself taking any interest or commitment to 2G/2.5G and GPRS, even if it is over EDGE (is it with T-Mobile these days?). I have no intention of taking an 18 month contract for that technology, nosireebob.

As it stands, I'll bide my time a bit longer and stay on 3 while out of contract, keeping my options open for the N80 acquisition. But if T-Mobile do not get their finger out with their 3G packaging they'll miss this particular boat for the next 12/18 months.

solo12002
29th March 2006, 07:14 PM
" we have a similar service due in April called Flext with Web 'n' Walk, which uses GPRS."

this is disapointing as most of us thought this was going to be 3G. No one in their right mind would sign up for this unless it was 3G

Hands0n
29th March 2006, 08:18 PM
@solo12002 - I make you right there! Considering their 3G deployment of transmitters etc, I am somewhat puzzled at why they are prolonging their 3G release in the face of incumbent competition. Unless they are playing the game which says they will have a true 80%+ coverage of 3G before going into full blown retail of the product. Very odd, and somewhat confusing to the interested watcher.

solo12002
29th March 2006, 09:02 PM
I agree, it be worth looking at the new price plans that I hope to get hold of ASAP, as Ill like to see wht the t-mobile walk and web add on realy is, is it GPRS or 3G, I also understand o2 are releaseng new plans this moth, and I thought vodafone were going to do a press relese on new plans at some conference last week

@NickyColman
29th March 2006, 09:10 PM
I bought a SonyEricsson W800i with -T-Mobile and when i put the sim card into my 3G Nokia N70 i get full 3G signal and im able to videocall. Browsing using 3G on -T-Mobile is surprisingly fast, much more than other networks ive used to so far.

Perhaps -T-Mobile arent selling 3G as a product alone with different price plans/tarrifs. Maybe they are taking a different approach rather than force it into other peoples faces!

maxspank
29th March 2006, 10:00 PM
Well I'll keep both my upgrade options open for early next year, and see if T-mobile will get my business, depends on what vf and orange can offer me at the time 3G will be an important factor when it comes time to decide. I'll definatley keep an eye on t-mobile and see how they progress with their new tarrifs and 3G launch.

3GScottishUser
29th March 2006, 10:32 PM
T-Mobile have had 3G available since 2004 in some areas (mine included).

They have a coverage checker for 3G on their site and it seems to cover most built up metropolitan areas already.

T-Mobile have been selling LG, SonyEricsson and Nokia 3G handsets as well as 3G/Wi-Fi Datacards for some months and I saw some in a T-Mobile store today in Glasgow.

solo12002
31st March 2006, 02:46 PM
There you go.

http://www.t-mobile.co.uk/Dispatcher?menuid=plans_webnwalk_flextplans&chosenPricePlan=pmt

Terms and conditions
The Relax + web ‘n’ walk and the Flext + web ‘n’ Walk price plans are subject to a minimum term contract and credit check (18 months minimum term for Flext, 12 months minimum term for Relax). Compatible handset required. Fair use policy applies: Relax + web ‘n’ walk and Flext + web ‘n’ walk price plans provide unlimited internet surfing on mobile handsets in the UK. To ensure a high quality of service for all our customers, they are not to be used for other activities such as (but not limited to): modem access for computers, internet based video/audio streaming services, peer to peer file sharing, internet based video download and internet based telephony. If such use is detected, notice may be given, after which network protection controls may be applied which will result in a reduced speed of transmission.

3g-g
31st March 2006, 03:15 PM
To ensure a high quality of service for all our customers, they are not to be used for other activities such as (but not limited to): modem access for computers, internet based video/audio streaming services, peer to peer file sharing, internet based video download and internet based telephony. If such use is detected, notice may be given, after which network protection controls may be applied which will result in a reduced speed of transmission.

Oh dear. Such a hype was built around this, we were all almost at the T-Mobile shop doors to ditch our Vodafone, O2 and Orange contracts only for T-Mob to go and shoot themselves in the foot. It could of been something amazing. They would of been the network of choice for the data user, but instead it's a great opportunity missed.

Don't get me wrong, at the moment Flext is a beast of a monthly tariff, I don't think any of the other operators can touch them on that for the moment, but they could of really moved forward by leaps and bounds had the "unlimited internet" been just that, the actual internet, not just limited to your handset.

solo12002
31st March 2006, 05:55 PM
heres the full April price plan:

http://www.hughsymonscommunications.co.uk/documents/hscm/pdf/3_2006_hscm_pdf_5pric_apr.pdf

By the looks of things Orange has gone backwards, Vodafone and o2 have hardly done a thing and T-Mobile has moved forward, yes I know its only 40mb for £7.50ppm and its from handset only but thats far more than any of the other networks have.

Hands0n
1st April 2006, 07:09 PM

Well that really is a crying shame. The well known expression that contains the words "foot" and "shoot" seem quite appropriate at this time.

Expressions in their T&C such as "......they are not to be used for other activities such as (but not limited to):....." ensure that it is a blanket requirement that the Web 'n Walk is strictly limited to Handset Browsing only, and with no other use permitted at all. While that may be appealing to those who will only use their handset, it irks me that I cannot legitimately use either/or - and I would have been more than content for there to be a "Fair Use" policy to stop me downloading DVD movies on the go (not that I do anyway).

Of course, I see this as being a way of T-Mobile leaving the door open to instigating another version of their "Web n " offering in the future, of course at a premium fee because it is an enhanced:eek: offering.

This also leaves the door open to Vodafone, O2, Orange (unlikely) and 3 stepping into the void that T-mobile has [maybe unwittingly] created. I certainly hope one or more of them do.

solo12002
1st April 2006, 07:12 PM
Hands on Can I rub your bum like they do in the ADSA add??

Ok its a JOKE!

LOL

Hands0n
1st April 2006, 07:21 PM
That was very s c a r y :)

miffed
1st April 2006, 07:54 PM
Oh dear. Such a hype was built around this, we were all almost at the T-Mobile shop doors to ditch our Vodafone, O2 and Orange contracts only for T-Mob to go and shoot themselves in the foot. It could of been something amazing. They would of been the network of choice for the data user, but instead it's a great opportunity missed.

Don't get me wrong, at the moment Flext is a beast of a monthly tariff, I don't think any of the other operators can touch them on that for the moment, but they could of really moved forward by leaps and bounds had the "unlimited internet" been just that, the actual internet, not just limited to your handset.

I don't know - Rumour has it there will be a "pro" option for the princely sum of £8.50 which will give you greater Bandwith (where available) and fewer restrictions (i.e. the option to use Datcards etc ) I have been told the Cap is 2gb (and asked for written confirmation - so all in all it is still pretty unbeatable - unless you can point me in the direction of a better deal on data ?
And as for VOIP - I'm sure no one REALLY expects a "phone"(
Which just leaves filesharing and Videostreaming , so things aren't quite so pretty for lowlife copyright theiving scumbags , or those that want mobile TV
But I am sure Tmobile will accomodate the latter with an Add on package at some point

solo12002
1st April 2006, 08:03 PM
Thats the thing there is no better dael most networks charge £3per MB

Hands0n
1st April 2006, 08:06 PM
Y'see, I want Web access for things like Talk3G, BBC News site, my fave computer bits and pieces websites (i.e. overclockers, dabs, bigpockets etc..), and of course a bit of eMail on the go. But I really do not want these on my handset.

The handset I would use for very occasional access to websites that are suited to the format - and afaik there are not too many of those online at the moment, although I suppose these will inevitably come about.

So the access, for me, has to be to use the handset as a modem to my PDA or [occasionally] the laptop.

miffed
1st April 2006, 08:09 PM
I'd bet my wifes favourite ornament that if you used the web'n'walk package , with a PC - but didn't use filesharing or go over the fair use cap - no one would say a dicky bird !

I think the restrictions are merely to discourage people in 3G areas from using it as a home connection replacement

Hands0n
1st April 2006, 08:13 PM
Well, I suppose there'd be no real way of them knowing that I wasn't using the handset, albeit for web pages that dont fit it so well :D But I'd be you (miffed lol) if they got all stroppy with me and started reducing bandwidth, capping and all that sort of nonsense.....

Hmmm, I'm not ready to take the Flext with Web 'n Walk package yet ... as I am out of contract with the 5th operator and waiting for the N80 to come out on T-Mobile before I make any firm decisions.

But this watching and waiting is fascinating stuff. T-Mobile certainly are awe inspiring with Flext!

solo12002
1st April 2006, 10:01 PM
I agree and they came out into the light after being in the dark ofrfso many years doing things like changing their PAYG price plans from 30pppm for 5 mins then 15pp, to things like 30ppm if you spent £10.

Not only have they offered a good price plan on flext , they knocked 25% off untill end of April, then came along and offered 40MB of data for £7.50. I agree with your views about it being on the handset, but no one has beaten it, three is £2.50 for 5mb, most charge £3 a MB or a cut down rate for 10MB, no one is comming close.

The realy disapointing thing about this is, orange were reviewing thier plans months ago, we spoke about that on this forum in respect of the names and the plans, and despite t-mobile coming out with flext Orange went their own way and issued CRAP plans any way, while o2, and vodafone and three who had a month to look at their plans can only offer the normal crap of half price rental or increase of mins for 3 to 6 months or cash back,

Currently I dont see anyone beating t-mobile, yes its a pain to have data on the mobile only, but they are offering loads of it for a fair price with good price plans to match.

miffed
26th May 2006, 07:43 AM
ooo -

I had a "U" on my MDA pro with 4 bars of signal for a few minutes this morning
Tried to connect to the internet to test the speed and it seemed no different from normal :(
Although when I disconnected the "U" had turned back to a "G" (at a lower signal stength !)

won't be long now .... ;)

Hands0n
26th May 2006, 02:45 PM
No doubt that "U" was just to tease you and drive you quietly insane :D

I can see the [speed] diff with my 6280 as I go in and out of 3G areas. The speed in 3G is very apparently way above that in 2G.

I reckon you'll be best pleased when they give you a full on 3G signal down your street :)

solo12002
26th May 2006, 05:04 PM
Is the U for 3G? or something else as I have noticted it in Belfast were t-mobile do not have 3g

Ben
26th May 2006, 05:11 PM
I assume U = UMTS = 3G? :S