View Full Version : Nokia 6680 Coming in April on Vodafone!

Ben
6th April 2005, 03:42 AM
It's official - the eagerly awaited Nokia 6680 Smartphone will arrive on Vodafone this month!

http://www.vodafone-emailme.co.uk/vfemailme/coming_soon.jsp

I was told in a Vodafone shop that the handset will be released on the 8th of April according to their computers, but since then reports have surfaced that the release has been pushed back. With the 8th just two days away we're about to find out!

I'll see you at the checkout :D

Marcwic
7th April 2005, 07:58 PM
It's official - the eagerly awaited Nokia 6680 Smartphone will arrive on Vodafone this month!

http://www.vodafone-emailme.co.uk/vfemailme/coming_soon.jsp

I was told in a Vodafone shop that the handset will be released on the 8th of April according to their computers, but since then reports have surfaced that the release has been pushed back. With the 8th just two days away we're about to find out!

I'll see you at the checkout :D

I've heard its slower than the 6630 due to the screen having more colours and requiring more processing power. Apart from the obvious extra camera, what else makes this better than the 6630? I might swap mine, but I never make video calls so two cameras isn't an issue. Does it also take Dual voltage, reduced size, MMC cards?

Ben
7th April 2005, 08:05 PM
The speed difference is fractional, and with the reduced form factor and superior screen I really don't think it'll be an issue. It will, of course, perform better than the 6630 in some aspects also.

The phone does indeed take the same DV RS-MMC cards.

The performance in terms of frames per second from the benchmark tests should not be confused with actual real-world handset performance. How quick the menu's are and how well it handles symbian applications is still very much yet to be seen.

Hope that helps!

Jon3G
7th April 2005, 09:14 PM
I have seen the bench marks and you wont see the difference in reality and really should be taken with a pinch of salt

Ben
9th April 2005, 07:22 PM
The only technical benefit here is going to be the face-to-face video calling, which for some will be reason enough to upgrade.

For most though I don't think the 6680 is a big enough departure from the 6630 to justify it. The 6630 isn't exactly old! The buttons do look nicer on the 6680 though, and it's a more conventional shape. It also doesn't have that lump at the top where the speaker is. My guess is that anyone who bought a 6630 probably likes the look of it enough to keep it over a 6680, with a few exceptions.

I do really think the 6680 is going to be a huge seller though. It's been a long time since I've been really excited about a new Nokia. This one really seems to have genuine appeal - hopefully to the mass market and not just me.

Someone has also noted elsewhere that the benchmark tests are performed via Java. A Symbian application would probably be far better for acquiring accurate benchmarks - we all know what JVM's can be like!

Marcwic
9th April 2005, 09:19 PM
Thanks for the info. I'll probably wait til my 6 months half price line rental are up, the cancel my contract and get this one if its free on Voda or T-Mobile. Having said that, I can't fault my 6630 as I have no desire to make video calls. I just like having the latest gadget!

3GScottishUser
9th April 2005, 10:22 PM
Now don't forget that it'll be a premium product for the first month. If you are prepared to wait until initial stocks are bought by the enthuiasts the price will fall and you will most probably get one for free on £30 contracts and above.

Jon3G
11th April 2005, 09:30 AM
I would wait too , but then again I want one so I maybe I am one of those enthuiasts

getti
27th April 2005, 10:39 AM
Was due out 3rd May and its been put back AGAIN to the 11th now

Jon3G
27th April 2005, 11:11 AM
Its a never ending story

lunatique
28th April 2005, 01:02 AM
bet by time 6680 released in UK N70 will be shippin over

http://www.nokia.com/nseries/index.html?loc=inside,main_n70