View Full Version : 3G PAYG Clamshell with BT & IRDA for under £120

3GScottishUser
10th September 2005, 03:34 PM
Took a while to get the information on this new handset.

It has just sneaked onto the Vodafone on-line store range as a PAYG handset and it's got a very impressive specification for a sub £120 phone. (Vodafone offer it on PAYG now for £116.99).

Here is the spec:

General Network UMTS / GSM 900 / GSM 1800 / GSM 1900
Size Dimensions 88 x 48 x 26 mm
Weight 105 g
Display Type TFT, 256K colors
Size 176 x 220 pixels
Second external 65K colors TFT display (96 x 96 pixels)
Ringtones Type Polyphonic (64 channels), MP3
Customization Download
Vibration Yes
Memory Phonebook Yes
Call records 20 dialed, 20 received, 20 missed calls
Card slot No
44 MB shared memory
Features GPRS Class 10 (4+1/3+2 slots)
Data speed 384 kbps (UTMS)
Messaging SMS, MMS, EMail
Clock Yes
Alarm Yes
Infrared port Yes
Games Yes
Colors
Camera VGA, 640x480 pixels, video
Bluetooth
Video Telephony & Streaming
Java MIDP 2.0
WAP 2.0
MP3/AAC/MPEG player
T9
Organizer
Voice memo
USB port
Battery Standard battery, Li-Ion 1000 mAh
Stand-by Up to 300 h
Talk time Up to 4 h

An absolute steal!!

Picture posted below.

cyberkid999
10th September 2005, 07:20 PM
only problem is the network. Ok if you use them but if you just want the handset it will more than likely be customised as far as it can go as Vodagroan like doing that and crippling their phones....well known fact

Ben
10th September 2005, 07:27 PM
Excellent find 3GScottishUser! I'll keep my eye out for that on Mobile's handset tracker, surely it'll sell well at that price point - and 3G too!

Having 3G stamped on the front of the phone is a, urm, different approach... it'll certainly help promote 3G, perhaps other handset makers should consider doing this also.

I don't think Vodafone's software will get in the way too much at this price, especially when we consider that Vodafone's network is rock solid and Live! has so much functionality.

3GScottishUser
10th September 2005, 07:27 PM
All networks customise their 3G handsets. It provides branding and that leads to users becoming familiar and more confident with the often bewildering range of services available. I rather like the Vodafone branding but I allso like 3's services display, each network's look and feel will have it's lovers and loathers.

Branding is here to stay on subsidised handsets and looks set to become part of the purchacing consideration process.

PS: Not sure if the Vodafone cosmetics are the same as the pic featured. That was from Samsung's own product info.

Ben
10th September 2005, 07:36 PM
I'm not sure O2 brand their handsets... Vodafone and Orange are definitely the heaviest branders at the moment, AFAIK. Still, with high levels of subsidy, as you say, branding is inevitable if the network is going to claw back as much as possible.

3GScottishUser
10th September 2005, 07:41 PM
I suspect its not only a desire to 'brand' handsets but an effort to make the process of using additional features as easy as possible. 02 have a pretty hefty comitment to branding now with products like the popular X range.

I suspect some get frustrated with restrictions by networks but many are understandable as networks now have an urgent requirement to generate revenues from new services to make up for the continuing drop in voice and text margins.

Hands0n
11th September 2005, 07:37 AM
T-Mobile do a pretty good job at branding too - it will be interesting to see how much they brand their 3G handsets when they launch 3G later this year, as rumoured. Virgin also brand heavily - you can't mistake holding one of their handsets.

I think we've got to get used to branding in all of its forms (well/poorly implemented) and suspect that most of the people won't realise or care about how "crippled" the handset is. Certainly, conducting a bit of a straw poll among my circle of known mobile phone users (family & friends), almost all didn't realise that branding and its effects existed!

@NickyColman
18th September 2005, 06:49 PM
O2 do brand their handsets quite alot now. Originally it was O2 stamped on the front, and wallpapers and screensavers. But now with SonyEricssons and Nokia (not sure about the others) they all have a standard O2 Theme! All the menus are blue and the O2 Active shortcut replaces one of the functionality buttons!

I dont mind branding as long it can be turned off/removed easily and it doesnt affect any services!

cyberkid999
19th September 2005, 06:40 PM
O2 do brand their handsets quite alot now. Originally it was O2 stamped on the front, and wallpapers and screensavers. But now with SonyEricssons and Nokia (not sure about the others) they all have a standard O2 Theme! All the menus are blue and the O2 Active shortcut replaces one of the functionality buttons!

I dont mind branding as long it can be turned off/removed easily and it doesnt affect any services!

in my experience O2 have the least branding and even then its usually a case of just selecting another theme or changing the wallpaper/screensaver etc. they never seem to cripple features like some networks do.