View Full Version : Is Apple's all-singing phone out of date already?

Hands0n
11th September 2005, 11:13 AM
Not strictly 3G (as far as I can tell from what I've read of the ROKR) but we must anticipate this technology on 3G handsets within the next 6 months judging by what is in the media and forums.

For a few painful seconds, Steve Jobs, the founder and chief executive of Apple, couldn't get his new toy to work. He was holding a mobile phone that can store and play back 100 songs, just like an iPod, but the delay simply added to concerns that the much-hyped product will be difficult to use.

(for the rest of the article refer to the following URL)

http://news.independent.co.uk/business/analysis_and_features/article311715.ece

Is this a sensible direction to go? Will the manufacturers and mobile ops be able to sell this on to the buying public in sufficient quantities to make profit? Is this what any of us want of a mobile phone? Or should we consign that quaint notion to the dustbin of history and fully embrace the very obvious drive to convergence?

For my part - I quite like where we've got to with handsets such as the Nokia 6680, the Motorola A1000 and of course the Windows Mobile handsets. However, I do not really see the burning need to have an MP3 player built in. I don't listen to that much music myself. But that said, all of my kids and their peers don't seem to be able to take three steps outside of the house without jacking in their headphones. So it is likely to be their future rather than mine that the manufacturers/mobile ops are catering to.

Where exactly will this all lead to? The ROKR seems to rely upon the PC/Mac to get its music from (presumably after being previously downloaded from iTunes). Will 3G enabled handsets facilitate getting the music directly (from iTunes or wherever else)? What with HMV, Virgin and no doubt many others to come launching their websites it will only be a matter of time before an alliance with a Mobile op is struck and thus facilitating direct-to-handset downloads.

Or will the ROKR and its buddies be this decade's classic white elephant contender?

3GScottishUser
11th September 2005, 11:55 AM
Interesting but its all to do with size in my opinion.

I dont want to carry a brick like the Motorola a-835/a1000 or the latest Nokia 66XX series. I appreciate the range of extras these provide but I use my laptop and I'm never that far from a PC usually. Looking back one of my favourite handsets was my old Nolkia 8210. It was just about the right size for a pocket and performed all the standard functions pretty well.

My Samsung Z500 is ideal for daily use as its light has a wide range of functions and is not much llarger than the old 8210. There are some compromises, smaller screen size, smaller battery etc but one has to make a judgement based on what one's usage pattern will be. Ideally two handsets might be the best option with one full size smartphone for long trips and a dinky small pocket phone for everyday use.

Phones like the latest GSM models, Samsung D-500, E-720, Motorola Razr, etc have set benchmarks that UMTS models have to replicate. The Z500 and new Z140 come very close and I'm sure it'll not be long before we have many more options that'll give UMTS users a similar choice to those with GSM. Truth is that most (as has been oft repeated) dont care about the type of network and make buying decisions based on features, benefits and value for meney.

I voted 'Indifferent' for now as I am yet to be convinced of the convergence for the average user. Its still fairly complex in terms of file transfers etc but that may improve over tiime an UMTS may offer better more cost effective solutions for getting content onto mobile devices eventually.

Jon3G
11th September 2005, 12:51 PM
I recently had a phone swop from Vodafone and was given the W800i. I think the phone is great and would rather carrier one device in my pocket.

Ben
11th September 2005, 02:53 PM
I'm something of a split personality where convergence is concerned.

I want the option of just being able to take one device out with me that can perform any task I might require of it. In all honesty, the 6680 pretty much does this for me. Ok, it's a bit small and fiddly to have to use for any length of time, but if the need arises I can use it for a vast array of tasks.

I also want a phone that is just a phone, and that doesn't suffer any of the drawbacks of convergence. Converged devices almost always result in compromises and sacrifces. To that end, it's important to still have standalone devices on the market.

It's important that UMTS doesn't just become about convergence. We also need UMTS devices dedicated to voice and voice alone.

Hands0n
11th September 2005, 03:05 PM
Okay I'll chuck my hat into the ring - I voted "Yes - nice but not essential ......."

Like Ben, I too do not want UMTS to become all about convergence, although the signs to date are that is just what it has/is becoming. Afaik there are not too many "simple" 3G phones out in the market. I sincerely hope that is a "yet" and not an indication of the way forward, which will likely leave many users cold.

Handsets such as Vodafone's Simply in 3G stylee would be nice for those such as the generation that are my in-laws for whom a 6680 [for example] or any of its ilk would cause utter bewilderment!

whatleydude
12th September 2005, 09:56 AM
I've voted "Yes give me more"..

Carrying one device is fine by me.
On my 6630 I can:

Watch various sports highlights like Cricket, F1 & Football.
Play games like Sonic, Mario & Bomberman.
Listen to over 100 different tracks on the MP3 player.
Watch trailers of the latest films..

The list goes on..

All this on one device.

Once mobile TV is up and running and there's been some major memory upgrades, the boundares will be pretty much limitless of what you can do with a mobile phone.

Obviously - thats just my opinion!
Different strokes for different folks etc..
I'm happy with one device.
Some people I know want a mobile phone to make calls and thats it.
But thats not my bag baby!

:)
----------------------------------------

Moving onto the Rokr issue..
I'd have to yes again - it is out of date already.

As I've mentioned, I can already store over 100 (decent-sized) MP3s on my mobile phone and have been able to for a while now.
It seems like Apple and Motorola got their heads down to make the Rokr but didnt bother looking up again until it was finished..

Nokia on the other hand did look up.
They saw what people could already do in respect mobile/music players and wanted to improve upon it.

The evidence of this is in their N91 Music Player Phone.

I expected the big MP3player/Phone battle to be slugged out over Christmas between Motorala/Apple and Nokia...
However... It seems there's no contest.
For me, the N91 wins hands down.

gorilla
14th September 2005, 11:16 AM
I voted "Yes - nice but not essential, I'd be wary of buying into it." The reason being that while it is handy to have everything in one device this in itself creates possible problems. What if the camera stops working and you have to send the phone off to be fixed - you then loose a phone, MP3 player etc. The 6680 has given me my best experience of convergence and I love it, but I think I will always have a separate digital camera.

3GScottishUser
14th September 2005, 11:32 AM
The Samsung SGH i300 looks very interesting and could be a real thorn in the side of this Moto hybrid.

See here: http://www.mobile-review.com/review/samsung-i300-en.shtml

PS: Breaking news it'll be an 02 exclusive!!

Jon3G
14th September 2005, 12:12 PM
:)
----------------------------------------

Moving onto the Rokr issue..
I'd have to yes again - it is out of date already.

As I've mentioned, I can already store over 100 (decent-sized) MP3s on my mobile phone and have been able to for a while now.
It seems like Apple and Motorola got their heads down to make the Rokr but didnt bother looking up again until it was finished..

Nokia on the other hand did look up.
They saw what people could already do in respect mobile/music players and wanted to improve upon it.

The evidence of this is in their N91 Music Player Phone.

I expected the big MP3player/Phone battle to be slugged out over Christmas between Motorala/Apple and Nokia...
However... It seems there's no contest.
For me, the N91 wins hands down.

What about the W800i it can take upto 1 gig and I have heard rumours that it can take 2 gig

whatleydude
14th September 2005, 12:24 PM
I'd forgotten about that one!

Yeah - the Sony W800i is pretty good..
But I do think the N91 has the edge over it.

- The large variety of file formats the N91 can play:
MP3, AAC, AAC+, eAAC+, Real V8, WAV, WMA, M4A, AWB, SP-Midi, AMR, WB-AMR, Nokia Ring Tones, AMR-NB, AWB

The W800i only supports: MIDI (72), AMR, MP3, AAC, XMF, WAV

- Then there's the 4Gb internal memory.

..and thats before you even mention other non-music based things like the 2mp cam, 3G compatibility etc etc..

Then again.. I am a Nokia fiend..
So I could just be biased..

;)

gorilla
20th September 2005, 12:34 PM
To add to this convergence argument, the Nokia 6630 music phone. It looks like the phone manufacturers are starting to take portable music seriously. It can't be long before MP3 players go the way of the vhs player. Any thoughts?
I suppose there will always be a demand for high capacity storage devices e.g. 60gb, but for many a few gb on their phone will be sufficient. I heard somewhere (sorry for the lack of specifics) that Samsung will soon have a 7.2 megapixels camphone. Maybe I will be able to get rid of my digital camera after all!