View Full Version : The soon-to-be-here Multimedia Mobiles

Hands0n
11th September 2005, 10:49 PM
Following on from my earlier post and poll - I found the following interesting collective article on the BBC News site

The Rokr iTunes mobile from Motorola and Apple enters a crowded market. Here are some of the mobiles vying to take the place of the digital music player.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/4215546.stm

Here you will find briefly discussed (with pix) four of the up and coming Music Phones. But interestingly none of them appear to be 3G (they're all described as tri-band) although some will depend on music downloaded from the mobile operator!

Will there be 3G derivatives? Who knows. But the direction is certainly being set in [at least] the 2.5G world.

Edit: The N91 does indeed have WiFi and Bluetooth, but no mention of 3G (!!)

Nokia seem to have thrown everything into the N91. It comes with all the internet, messaging and organiser functions typically found in Series 60 smartphones, as well as Bluetooth and wi-fi.

Ben
11th September 2005, 11:05 PM
That little something I like to call the N91 is most certainly 3G... correct me if I'm wrong but it's supposed to also have WiFi.

3G music phones make sense when music delivery is possible over-the-air. The current selection of over-the-air to-mobile distribution channels is poor, very poor, but independents are being 'prevented' (that's my take on it) from entering the market as networks just don't want to permit services that they're not going to get a cut of the profits from.

The sooner Napster et al release mobile clients and download services the better. Until then, I think the assumption is that we'll load up our 2G music phones just like we load up our standard MP3 players.

Good article!