View Full Version : 3's Mobile Web - Good Enough?

3GScottishUser
12th September 2005, 11:14 PM
So it's official you will soon be able to view 3's selection of 'optimised' websites for £2.50/month for 5MB.

Is this enough?

1/2 a loaf is better than none but what about the sites you really want to keep up with and contribute to (like this one)?

Will they really add sites on request or is this a 1/2 hearted peacemeal offering to get the press off their back re the infamous 'Walled Garden'.

Vote in the poll and leave your comments as this is sure to be one of the most talked about policies ever re mobiles.

Ben
13th September 2005, 01:21 AM
I think it's a step in the right direction.

Three obviously believe that their audience aren't capable of selecting content appropriate for their mobile device. Luckily, for those of us who want and/or need the ability to choose for ourselves, there are four other networks that cater for our needs.

In all honesty, even if Three never opened up the data side completely, they will always have a place with whatever they do provide. For me the changes cement their place as the network for cheap tariffs and for a lot of folk that's just fine.

So long as there's choice in the market then it's all just fine by me.

jman
13th September 2005, 09:35 PM
"For me the changes cement their place as the network for cheap tariffs and for a lot of folk that's just fine."

Im not sure about that Ben, My wife was using 3 for cheap calls spending £50 a month on PAYG, we had a look at O2's sim only deals and went for the online 400 tariff which gets her 800mins+2000texts for £45, she's happy, I think that has to be the best tariff at the moment. I have had 3 contracts in the past but I now use orange for voice and data and if this is the best 3 can offer, they can keep it.

gorilla
14th September 2005, 11:28 AM
No matter what, it's still better than the walled garden, although it's really just a bigger walled garden now. I will be subscribing when I get my next bill, which is due next week (don't want to upset the apple cart with regard to cashback). I think £2.50 is an acceptable amount, although if they allow IM programs then that would clinch it. Let's face it, I joined 3 in the knowledge of the walled garden, data isn't important to me and so this is a bit of a bonus. However, they should have introduced a few more data tariffs e.g. £10 for 100mb with full open access. £45 is too much especially as it's the only option.

3GScottishUser
14th September 2005, 11:30 AM
Add-On's should not affect any cashback deals. Only tariff changes will cause problems. The Mobile Web add-on is similar to a text bundle or Video package so you should be able to buy it whenever you like.

@NickyColman
16th September 2005, 09:33 PM
Well i took the plunge and bought the Mobile Websites Add-On.

Ive got a contract thats up in November time so i thought "What the hell!?".

Anyways, it took about 3/4 hours to activate and once it was enabled the mobile web was excellent! I was able to browse the BBC mobile wapsite at top speeds! It was simply flawless. Obviously i havent had time to test it over a longer period of time but for now, my initial impressions are ....10/10.

Ben
16th September 2005, 11:05 PM
If your experience continues to be that 'flawless' then it could certainly be argued that '3' is acting, in some respects at least, in the interests of the consumer. This middle-ground they've stumbled on through customer pressure may end up serving them well for quite some time.

@NickyColman
16th September 2005, 11:10 PM
From a business point of view, i think Three are playing the internet game quite good at the moment. Obviously nothing makes up for their lack of access for the past view years, but an enlarged garden means they are still going to get customers using their content only and getting quite a good income from the Mobile Websites add-on.

Where as, at the moment, the other networks have a wide-open network, meaning customers go else where for content, rather than staying "at home" like Three.

The ball is now in Three's court - they need to keep up a reliable internet service and continue to expand their allowed sites!