View Full Version : Which Network has the best 3G handset range?

3GScottishUser
14th September 2005, 01:17 PM
Thinking about what is now available on the UK market, which network do you think has the best range of 3G handsets currently.

Vote in the poll and leave your comments below.

Ben
14th September 2005, 01:23 PM
I voted Vodafone. They seem to get everything first and pad out the generic croud with their own exclusives like those from Sharp and Toshiba. As far as handset choice is concerned (taking nothing else into consideration) they are tops.

3GScottishUser
14th September 2005, 01:24 PM
Agreed. I also voted for Vodafone as they seem to have covered all of the market segments pretty well. They will have the new Motorola Razr 3G phone and the A1010 shortly I have been told.

whatleydude
14th September 2005, 03:36 PM
Agreed.
Reasons as above.

Hands0n
14th September 2005, 03:44 PM
Bu99er. Me Too!! All the signs are that Vodafone are going into this with the will to make up for any lost time against its competition. They won't succeed with naff handsets and so they really do seem to be pulling in the good'uns so far.

Jon3G
14th September 2005, 04:15 PM
Vodafone for me too.

Again all the angles covered, however Orange are not too far behind

3GsINgH
14th September 2005, 06:39 PM
Vodafone...easy z500 say no more :D

ads
15th September 2005, 03:12 PM
Agreed. I also voted for Vodafone as they seem to have covered all of the market segments pretty well. They will have the new Motorola Razr 3G phone and the A1010 shortly I have been told.

The A1010? Really? I want that bad, but I cant stand the Voda customisation :(

Hands0n
15th September 2005, 04:55 PM
Is the A1010 that much of an upgrade on the A1000 - 2Mpixel camera (up from 1.3), and not much else from what I can find out about it. I sincerly hope that Motorola are not going down the LG route where each upgrade is incremental, tiny, but incremental nevertheless .............. At that rate, we'dd need to wait for teh A1999 for anything significant in terms of enhancement :)

But seriously though .... the A1000 is a tough one to top. Apart from costmetic changes and perhaps a later version or revision of the Symbian OS there is little else that I could envisage them doing. The uplift of the camera from 1.2Mpixel to 2Mpixel is, frankly, a tad pathetic considering that the camera chipsets for even higher resolutions already exists.

If I were updating the A1000 I'd be looking to fit a minimum 3Mpixel camera, up the on-board [available] memory to something reasonable like 128MBytes and junk Trans-Flash for a nice SD/MMC slot to save having to remove the battery to change the off board memory capacity. While I had the covers off I'd also chuck in a WiFi (802.11b would be good enough) chipset and meet HP and the others head on.

Have I missed anything? What would y'all add to the A1000??

i.e. http://www.bestbuymobilephones.com/Motorola-A1010-Cheap-Deals.html

Motorola A1010 Mobile Phone

The Motorola A1010 is a direct upgrade to the fantastic A1000. It comes absolutely packed full of all of the latest features and technology whilst keeping it's amazingly stylish looks!

The Motorola A1010 offers a completely new way to communicate with it's 2 way video-conferencing facility and you can also surf the net with a full HTML browser.

The biggest enhancement of the Motorola A1010 is a built-in 2.0 mega pixel camera with 4 x digital zoom allowing you to snap and view video clips and still pictures to view on the massive 208 x 320 TFT 262,000 colour display.

With 3G technology, Bluetooth Wireless capabilities and triband functionality the Motorola A1010 will keep you connected anywhere.

The Motorola A1010 also features Picsel™ Document Viewer / Edit, supporting Microsoft Word®, Microsoft Excel®, Microsoft PowerPoint®, Adobe PDF and Unzip and with SyncML (OTA), Desktop PC Sync the Motorola A1010 really is the Ultimate PDA smart phone.

Coming Soon !
Weight: 160g

Talktime: 2.0 h

Standby time: 140 h

Dimensions: 117 x 59 x 18.7 mm

VS

http://www.bestbuymobilephones.com/Motorola_A1000_Cheap_Deals.html

Motorola A1000 Mobile Phone

The Motorola A1000 3G video phone is a stylish, cutting-edge mobile phone delivering video conferencing capabilities, touchscreen technology, Word®, Excel®, Powerpoint® and PDF® document viewing capabilities via Picsel Document Viewer and full HTML browsing for a true mobile office experience.

With the added benefits of 3G speed and tri-band, you can feel the power and benefit of intelligent technology in the palm of your hand, anywhere you go.

The Motorola A1000 also boasts an integrated 1.2 mega pixel digital camera with 4x digital zoom, multi-media streaming, capture and playback with MPEG4 and MP3 files and dual-audio speakers.

3GScottishUser
15th September 2005, 05:25 PM
Looks like Vodafone have run away with the vote - so far.

Interesting. We shall see how things develop as new models appear before the end of 2005.