View Full Version : Telefonica take-over back on the agenda

3GScottishUser
15th September 2005, 08:12 PM
From Cellular News (15/09/2005):

O2: Telefonica Statement About Buy Targets Was "General"

LONDON -(Dow Jones)- Telefonica said Thursday that in response to the request of the Panel on Takeovers and Mergers, it notes the recent press reports concerning its acquisition strategy and possible acquisition targets including 02 PLC following the responses of Chairman Alierta to various questions after the telecommunications businesses integration conference held at the Summer University of Santander on Sep. 5.

The comments regarding 02 were of a general nature and related to the profile of companies, which would add value to the Company.

Telefonica hasn't commented on and doesn't wish to comment on the possibility of acquiring any particular potential target or targets in Europe or elsewhere.

"The Company is also pleased to announce that it continues to be interested by the opportunities in South America, notably in Colombia, in the fixed line operation domestic companies, and that such opportunities are now being analysed," Telefonica said in a statement.

http://www.cellular-news.com/story/14065.php

@NickyColman
15th September 2005, 11:08 PM
If O2 were to be taken over do you think they would likely be rebranded under the Telefonica brand or given a new one altogether?

3GScottishUser
15th September 2005, 11:14 PM
Interesting point.

Would MoviStar be better branding than 02?

Hard to say... but I would guess that 02 would remain as 02 for some time as a Telefonica company if they took them over.

@NickyColman
15th September 2005, 11:16 PM
I cant imagine the MoviStar brand working over here. Firstly i think people would have trouble - pronouncing it either "Movie Star" or "Movista".....either way its not exactly a winning brand!

3g-g
15th September 2005, 11:46 PM
I'm pretty sure it's "mobi-star" you pronounce it if my Spanish serves me correctly, Vs are Bs in Spanish!

Tag line: "be a star on your moby with Movistar"

Do Movistar have a prescence anywhere else? As can be seen with Orange and Vodafone, global branding is key, at least O2 have a start with that, Ireland and Germany running O2 networks... An O2 in Spain, with the big x-pat numbers and tourists would surely make more sense. If that was the case when we all leave the UK to head to Spain we'd have the choice of Orange ES, Vodafone ES and O2 ES!

@NickyColman
15th September 2005, 11:59 PM
I didnt realise it was pronounced like that! Thankyou for keeping me right Manuel.

I do think that O2 would be a more universal brand and have a slightly cooler edge to it. I just dont think MoviStar has that impact that our current Uk networks have.

If i was incharge of Telefonica, i would do either of the following;

* Rebrand my entire network, including MoviStar and the existing O2 networks and create a brand new universal image. That way it would create more of a buzz creating interest, and then hopefully, new customers.

OR

* Re brand Telefonica and MoviStar to O2, taking advantage of O2's current European footprint. Afterall it makes more sense as there is more likely to be more Uk travellers in Spain then vice-versa. IE, it would be a network British, German, Irish etc would all recognise when abroad.

I have always been fond of O2 (sounds weird) but i do have a loyalty to them, even tho they have betrayed me where 3G coverage is concerned. O2 are simple and straight to the point. I think their advertising is effective, you can instantly tell an O2 advert the minute you hear the music. I have also been very impressed with their Online Tarriffs, often getting a superb deal with them simply by buying online.

Thats why i hope the O2 brand does live on in someway and doesnt get replaced with somethink the GBP will simply not "get".

3g-g
16th September 2005, 12:13 AM
I didnt realise it was pronounced like that! Thankyou for keeping me right Manuel

EEEs no problem Meesta Faulty.

getti
16th September 2005, 12:03 PM
I would have thought NTT DoCoMo would have been best to take over O2. They already have an I-Mode agreement and as O2 are setting up HSPDA already it would have been perfect for NTT