View Full Version : What Bluetooth Headset?

Hands0n
16th September 2005, 07:05 PM
I have been through a small collection of Bluetooth Headsets in 2004/5. They have proven to be unstable either mechanically or electronically. However, I have finally managed to settle on one particular brand that has worked well with the collection of BT mobiles that I have used in that time.

What has been your experience of Bluetooth Headsets? Have you any preferences or recommendations to offer?

My Bluetooth Headset CV

I started out with the Logitec Mobile Freedom Headset
This worked really well with the Motorola E1000. It has a windcheating microphone that withstood quite a blast before the person at the other end couldn't hear your voice. I was happy with it until ..... the plastic swivel connector to the ear loop snapped. I used some hard plastic glue to repair it and all was well for a while. Then the rubberised ear loop itself broke. It just snapped in two and being of a composite material would not glue together. I sent it off for a warranty replacement - but within a month exactly the same pair of faults occurred! I have had it replaced under warranty but dare not even take it out of its sealed box!!

Next up was a budget priced TrailBlazer Bluetooth Headset
This lasted all of a week, when the plastic fitting to the ear loop snapped clean off while fitting it to my ear. Without hesitation I returned it for a full refund - the obvious design fault was that it was of ridiculously flimsy construction.

I finally stumped up the cash for a Motorola HS810 Bluetooth Headset
This was a fine piece of construction and technology. It operated perfectly with the Motorola E1000, A1000 and subsequently Nokia 6680. Audio quality was very good, battery life (talktime) was more than sufficient for my daily use, functionality was high. It simply worked, simply. Unfortunately, it developed a mechanical problem with the swing-out microphone boom. It had lasted 8 months of six-day-week use. I had it replaced under warranty.

The HS810 was by now obsoleted and the nearest equivalent replacement is the Motorola HS820 Bluetooth Headset which I accepted. It has just arrived and is of typical good Motorola construction. Having BT bonded it with the Nokia 6680 I was pleased to see it work as effectively as its predecessor. Unlike the HS810 the HS820 does not have much mechanical part to wear or break. It has three buttons and a robust ear loop. I cannot testify to its longevity yet but I am hopeful that it will manage to outlast the HS810 due to its simpler construction.

So - all in all not a very positive tale for Bluetooth Headsets. Those that I have experienced have generally been too fragile for anything but occasional use (if that even!). The major problem appears to be with the ear loop design of many of the BT Headsets. There are very many to be sure. But I have rejected very many from just seeing the images of them on the Internet shopping site.

I must, in closing, make mention of my only source of the above headsets www.mobilefun.co.uk who operate an extremely efficient organisation and Customer Services function. Returns are handled the same day and replacements are often received within 48 hours of posting off the failed part. If this level of efficiency and support is received with their other offerings (such as mobile phone contracts) the Customer experience can only be a positive one.