View Full Version : The N90 - First Impressions.

@NickyColman
17th September 2005, 09:52 PM
Well as most of you have already realised, I am the proud owner of the new Nokia N90.

After I saw "her" lying in her box in a shop window on a scorching day in Tenerife, i knew i had to have her! She had to be mine. Twas love at first sight you could say lol.

Getting back to reality.

The N90 is a big phone to say the least. When closed, it is the size of the Nokia 6680, which is considered big by most. In the fully opened position the phone is simply imense! However that has not put me off one single bit.

FIRST IMPRESSIONS -

The first thing I noticed when I took the N90 from the box was its size, but having got past the measurements and fully considering the benefits, i began to realise the more subtle touches such as the tough durable plastic the N90 is made from. To touch it leaves no fingerprints or scarmy marks at all. In fact I could happily place the N90 on a rather gritty surface without the risk of scratching it to bits.

The N90 is comfortable to hold and not too heavy. Its most peoples impression that the phone is a beast, however that is not quite true. The phone is heavy by todays standards but it wouldnt drag your trouser pocket down!

Its a sturdy phone. It has no creaking noises or delicate little peices to it. This phone is built for business.

When I eventually realised how to get the back open and a few choice words later, I managed to give power to the wonderous N90. The front screen powered on and across it scrolled the NOKIA logo, I then eagerly opened the phone. I was greeted by a dazzling display and bright (white) keypad! The infamous NOKIA hand animation moved across the screen.

One of the first things i noticed about the screen was its sheer power! The screen is much brighter that any phone ive yet to see, which is always good i think. Second thing I noticed is that the screen has been dramatically upgraded. It has been increased in pixels meaning onscreen graphics are simply gorgeous to watch. The entire Symbian operating system looks like it was meant to be on the N90.

Once my N90 had fully powered up, I frantically looked for the camera application, but to my horror there was none!! I panicked thinking that I had bought a duff phone, but it was simply a stupid oversight on my part (and the fact i had Spanish instructions). To activate the camera/video you simply had to twist the screen into the camera mode. This automatically activated the camer and within seconds i was ready to shoot.

Within a few minutes, I had tweaked the camera settings, learned out to auto-focus, and banged out 20 odd photos!

After playing the camera to death, I moved on to the rest of the phone, which works much like the Nokia 6680 (see Ben's review) except it has a better graphics system. I tested the keypad which is one of the most comfortable I have ever used. Its completley flat and gives the impression that it isnt very tacticle however in reality that is not the case!

A few hours after opening the box I had completely mastered the N90. Everything is self explanitory! Icons explain where everything is and there is a fully comprehensive Help facitlity no matter where you are within the phone!

By this time I was completely in love with the N90.