View Full Version : N91 Delayed until 1Q 2006

whatleydude
21st September 2005, 03:41 PM
From http://www.infosyncworld.com/news/n/6173.html

Certain to cause the reshuffling of many a Christmas wish list, Nokia has delayed the introduction of its eagerly anticipated music smartphone, the Nokia N91, to some time in the first quarter of 2006. Announced earlier this year, the Finnish handset maker cited the cause for the delay of the N91 to be its desire to implement support for the DRM protected version of Microsoft's Windows Media Audio format.

Originally slated to be the first hard drive based music phone to hit shelves with 4 GB of storage space and other advanced features including Wi-Fi, the N91 must now see itself beaten by the Windows Mobile based Samsung SGH-i300, which will ship in the UK in October with mobile network operator O2. Likely aiming to provide potential customers with a temporary solution, Nokia on Monday launched the Nokia 6630 Music Edition, consisting of the original 6630 smartphone and a several audio-related bundles including a 256 MB RS-MMC card; USB MMC/SD card reader; and 3.5 mm dongle for Nokia's proprietary Pop-port interface.

What do you think?
Real stuff or just a ploy to shift more 6630 Music Players?!

The link at the top is worth a click too as the original story has some good pics of the phone..

Jon3G
21st September 2005, 03:52 PM
I would say its Genuine. The story has been the N91 has always been a 2006 launch

whatleydude
21st September 2005, 03:59 PM
Has it?
I had no idea.
I thought they were all supposed to be out by the of '05.

Ah well.. still. It's interesting to read about their commitment to the WMA format.

Ben
21st September 2005, 07:41 PM
It was 05... unless Nokia state quarters in terms of financial years, which isn't all that common when talking about products afaik - we've discussed this before.

I'm glad it'll have full WMA DRM support but I think the need to wait until after Christmas is insane. It's too late.

They should've worked the DRM support into a SIS distributable patch/update.

addict
2nd February 2008, 02:49 PM
now its closed in india
It was a awsome phone and I really liked the music version of this phone