View Full Version : Amazing 3G Data Speed

3GScottishUser
21st September 2005, 07:07 PM
Just managed to connect the Z500 to my Bluetooth Dongle today and below is the result of the bandwidth test I just did using it.

Personal test results
Speed
618.2 kilobits per second

Communications 618.2 kilobits per second
Storage 75.5 kilobytes per second
1MB file download 13.6 seconds
Subjective rating Not bad

Info
Date & time Wednesday, September 21, 2:04PM*
Test type IDT4 Free
Connection type Wireless: 3G
Region United Kingdom
Data size 1024KB
IP address 212.183.131.161
Provider Vodafone UMTS UK

Seems a bit high... so here is the Result of Znet.co.uk's test.

Your line speed:

267.5 Kbps

32.8 K bytes/sec

I'm Happy!!! :)

(Browsing normal web pages one hardly notices the difference between the 3G connection and Broadband).

Ben
21st September 2005, 07:36 PM
Hey,

What site did you use for that? We've had similar results posted on Orange... some sites do not give accurate speed reflections on mobile connections it would seem.

Try ADSLGuide.org.uk, it'll give a realistic speed output. The technical limit is 384kbps and realistically the maximum speed is less still.

Edit: Beat me to it there! Check here (https://talk3g.co.uk/showthread.php?t=837) for the Orange speedtests - their 3G seems to be performing very well.

3GScottishUser
21st September 2005, 09:42 PM
ADSLguide.org.uk is a bit unreliable. The 2nd test I did above was courtesy of Zdnet.co.uk and I suspect is pretty accurate.

So now I have total mobile Internet at last with blistering 3G speed, a worry, not in terms of use but in terms of cost. I shall be restricting my use until Vodafone make it affordable.

Hands0n
22nd September 2005, 12:32 AM
The benefit of using adslguide to report on here is that it has established a "norm" for testing [on here]. Other test sites may well give [genuinely] optimistic and better results, but these would be statistically meaningless [in context] unless all the tests were performed at that site.

Anything above 384Kbps at the moment should be viewed sceptically - unless there is some known compression going on.

I would like to report on 3's throughput speeds but ........ unless someone can fund me £45 for the next few months it ain't happening :(